shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond I picked sold! Need more Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Roupey03

Rough_Rock
The setting that I want to get is only at James Allen. My GF found it by mistake on my computer and lost it. " The Most perfect ring ever made"

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/classic-solitaire-settings.asp?module=setting&cid=57&item=934

I had a diamond picked and was ready to make the purchase however when I went to do so I was told the diamond had been sold.

So I am back at it again.

Diamond 1

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=53&item=890285

Diamond 2

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=53&item=955725

Any other suggestions for a diamond is welcome as well. My budget is 2300.

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
This would be my pick in that budget...don't forget that if you wire the money, you get something like 5% off.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=936509

The one inclusion is on the edge and may be able to be put under a prong...I would call and ask them. It is a beautiful H&A stone that would face up really white.

ETA, oh, wait, it the $2300 budget just for the stone, or for the whole ring?

Roupey03

Rough_Rock
For the whole ring. the setting is going to be 310.

Roupey03

Rough_Rock
My only worry is going down in cut grade. It is my understanding that cut is the most important of the C''s. Will you notice a difference between the ideal cut and H&A?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
I hate to be a bad influence, but if you stick with JA, I wish you could s*t*r*e*t*c*h the budget and get this one:

0.72 H VS2 H&A $2540

Otherwise, would you consider Whiteflash? Here's a nice one:

0.58 G VS2 ACA $1910

Of the ones you picked, they are both nice. I prefer to go with higher color - the IF isn't necessary. JA-s selection seems kinda limted in this size range. I've heard of folks buying a diamond from one vendor and having another set it.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2007 1:56:20 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I agree with Starry, I like this one (and it will cost less with the wire transfer)

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131&item=939103
Sadly diamondseeker, $2540 is the wire transfer price.
39.gif

Roupey, if you go to "Prices" in the toolbar menu, then "Search by Cut", you can locate diamonds that fit with your cut requirements. I would love to see you find something around 0.60-0.65, G-H, VS2, give or take, for your budget.

I'm sorry to tempt you with pricier stones....
12.gif

Roupey03

Rough_Rock
You should be sorry because its working. I have the money to pay for it now, but it just seems like a lot. Especially at 22 and in college. I may just wait till I graduate and buy one after my first paycheck. Graduation is less then 2 months away.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2007 2:14:35 PM
Author: Roupey03
You should be sorry because its working. I have the money to pay for it now, but it just seems like a lot. Especially at 22 and in college. I may just wait till I graduate and buy one after my first paycheck. Graduation is less then 2 months away.
Wow, congratulations Roupey as you finish college! That's great - good luck!

I'm sooo glad you told us because one thing you may want to think about then is the Upgrade Policy of different vendors. If you are at the bottom of your future earning curve, you may want to get your wife a larger diamond in the future when you have more money. Whiteflash has a great policy - you can trade in at any time for 100% credit to the new diamond. I believe the new diamond must cost more, but I think that's the only restriction. Unfortunately, I don't think JA's policy is nearly as good.

I posted a WF diamond that was within budget above ($1910 with PS discount). You should find out if WF has a similar setting or if they can send the diamond to JA to set (or visa versa). I think JA may charge a premium for setting an outside diamond, but I don't think the fee is prohibitive. Not sure about that though.

Roupey03

Rough_Rock
The Diamond that you posted from whiteflash I had already had disscussed on this board. They seemed to think it would mount up and appear smaller then its actual weight.

I am kind of leary about getting a J stone.

And do you think it is worth the money to get a H&A cut stone?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Roupey, about facing up smaller...I can understand why some of the users here might say this WF diamond would face up smaller - the depth is 62% and the girdle is slightly thick. However, think about this for a minute. The formula for calculating carat weight from measurements for an ideal cut RB is:

diameter x diameter x depth x 0.0061 = carat weight

For a 0.582 carat diamond that is cut to the Tolkowsky depth of 59.3%, the diameter would be:

diameter x diameter x 0.593 x diameter x 0.0061 = 0.582
(diameter)^3 = 160.8935
diameter = 5.44 mm

This WF diamond is 5.33 mm on average, so it faces up like a 0.55 carat Tolkowsky. Is this enough to kill a sale on a beautiful diamond? Do you think you will see 0.1 mm?

This diamond faces up a little smaller than the first JA and a little bigger than the second. If you don't care about upgrading, maybe the G VS1 JA diamond is the way to go. If you do care though, WF has a better policy.

Roupey03

Rough_Rock
You raise a very good point. Bringing up these bigger stones has got me interested. What are your opinions on a J Stone. Is there going to be a considerable difference in how white the diamond appears I was noticing at a lot of Jewelry stores most of the diamonds they carry are I and J.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2007 3:29:10 PM
You raise a very good point. Bringing up these bigger stones has got me interested. What are your opinions on a J Stone. Is there going to be a considerable difference in how white the diamond appears I was noticing at a lot of Jewelry stores most of the diamonds they carry are I and J.
Roupey, color is a very personal thing. You will get many different opinions here about it. Some will say they have J''s that face-up very white. Other people, like myself, are color sensitive and don''t like to go below F for the hand. No opinion is "right" or "accurate" - it''s a matter of sensitivity and preference.

Just some things to think about: Color is more obvious in much larger stones. Tiffany uses "I" and above.

Roupey03

Rough_Rock
So is there going to be much of a visual difference between Ideal cut and H&A stones. Is it really worth the xtra money?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2007 3:45:26 PM
So is there going to be much of a visual difference between Ideal cut and H&A stones. Is it really worth the xtra money?
Roupey, I don''t mean to seem like I''m dodging the question, but again this is a matter of personal preference. I''ve seen H&A diamonds next to "Ideal" EX/EX diamonds and couldn''t see the difference until it was pointed out to me. The difference was minute and only visible through a viewer. The overall performance seemed the same to me.

I think for some people, going with an "ACA" or a "H&A" takes the guesswork out of the process. However, if you know what to look for, I think you can get an ideal ex/ex that is just as beautiful. If you go this route, look for Excellent symmetry and an HCA score of less than 2.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2007 4:05:14 PM
I was considering
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=937130
This diamond is a little deep at 62.5%. It may be splitting hairs, but usually you want to stay above 62.3%.

Everything that was said about the WF stone facing up smaller than its carat weight is true for this one too. A 0.73-carat with a 59.3% depth would have a diameter of 5.87 mm, rather than 5.74 mm. The 5.74 mm diameter corresponds to 0.68 carats if the depth were Tolkowsky.

At this carat weight, the spread may matter less to you, but you are sacrificing color and the H&A designation.

All of these diamonds are certainly nice - it just depends on what you want. Smaller and whiter or larger with more color.

Roupey03

Rough_Rock
I was planning on buying this with a credit card that I just took out it has 12 months 0% interest. My credit limit is 2300.

The setting I want is 310.

So that leaves me 1990 for the diamond. I guess I am just looking for the best diamond I can possibly get for this price. I was originally set on getting a H&A, but if you guys think I would be better off getting a larger diamond that was ideal cut I am ok with that. I am just looking for the diamond with the best "wow" factor that is still in my budget.

Thank you guys,

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2007 5:24:16 PM
if you guys think I would be better off getting a larger diamond that was ideal cut I am ok with that. I am just looking for the diamond with the best ''wow'' factor that is still in my budget.
Yes, I think an ideal cut diamond in a larger size is a great idea. I also think you should try to buy from a place with a lifetime tradeup policy. You just never know and it is great to have the option. Having WF or GOG send your diamond to JA would not be a big deal at all.

Roupey03

Rough_Rock
I think I would prefer to buy the ring and diamond at the same place.

Also I am just looking for the best diamond for the price.

I want that "wow" factor as much as I can for my budget.

Roupey03

Rough_Rock
You know it does seem very clean for an SI

Do diamonds tend to yellow with age? Getting A J diamond is the only thing I am worried about with this one.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, they don''t
26.gif

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2007 7:51:11 PM
Do diamonds tend to yellow with age? Getting A J diamond is the only thing I am worried about with this one.
At this point Roupey, I think you need to understand with your eyes what a "J" color looks like. Maybe you could visit a few B&M's between classes and see for yourself.

Does you GF have any color opinions or will this be a total surprise?

This may sound silly, but I think the closer to the equator you live, the more white diamonds can look. I recently bought a G/H 2.8-carat pear diamond (2 certs, one says G one says H). Up north in natural diffused light, I see a little beige where the stone gets shallow. Down south, the diamond is totally white. Weird, right? Just a thought.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2007 7:51:11 PM

Roupey,

Check out this thread:

J Color Stones in Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results