shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond I picked sold! Need more Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Roupey03

Rough_Rock
My GF has no color preference. Heck she has no diamond preferece. She doesnt really care. I just want to make sure I am getting the best diamond for my money, and now I am starting to lean towards a J Stone.

Her ring size is only a 4 so it will look rather large on her hand.

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/30/2007 8:18:22 PM
Author: starryeyed

Date: 1/30/2007 7:51:11 PM
Author: Roupey03
You know it does seem very clean for an SI
Do diamonds tend to yellow with age? Getting A J diamond is the only thing I am worried about with this one.
At this point Roupey, I think you need to understand with your eyes what a ''J'' color looks like. Maybe you could visit a few B&M''s between classes and see for yourself.

Does you GF have any color opinions or will this be a total surprise?

This may sound silly, but I think the closer to the equator you live, the more white diamonds can look. I recently bought a G/H 2.8-carat pear diamond (2 certs, one says G one says H). Up north in natural diffused light, I see a little beige where the stone gets shallow. Down south, the diamond is totally white. Weird, right? Just a thought.
Do you think it has to do with the time of the year and the type of sunlight? I say this because I got an I colored diamond in September and have said more than once on this board that I can''t see any yellow in my stone. Well, the last month or so as it has really started to seem like winter, there have been a few occasions where I saw tint. It''s only at a certain angle, never head on, but I definitley see something I didn''t see a few months back.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2007 9:38:55 PM
My GF has no color preference. Heck she has no diamond preferece. She doesnt really care. I just want to make sure I am getting the best diamond for my money, and now I am starting to lean towards a J Stone.

Her ring size is only a 4 so it will look rather large on her hand.

I think a 'J' would be great choice, and a .70ct will look great on a size 4 finger!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2007 9:45:11 PM
Author: jayrenay9
Do you think it has to do with the time of the year and the type of sunlight? I say this because I got an I colored diamond in September and have said more than once on this board that I can''t see any yellow in my stone. Well, the last month or so as it has really started to seem like winter, there have been a few occasions where I saw tint. It''s only at a certain angle, never head on, but I definitley see something I didn''t see a few months back.
Hi jayrenay. Sounds like a good theory - like maybe the appearance of tint has something to do with the angle of the sun in the sky. Hmmmm.

Roupey, getting "the best" stone for your money is a completely subjective thing. Some would say a "J" is way too yellow, some would not have a problem with it. Some think "the best" would be a small "Ideal" D IF stone. Some people think largest is best and go for the biggest J/K SI2 diamond money can buy. Some prefer a balance and aim for G/H in VS2 clarity. Some people try to look for fluorescence to offset a lower color. You really need to see a few diamonds and decide where you fall in the size/quality tradeoff.

And I really think, given your position as a student, you need to think about the strong possibility of wanting to upgrade in the future. Choose your vendor wisely.

Let us know if there are any more diamonds you''d like us to look at.
1.gif

Roupey03

Rough_Rock
Are you recomending that James Allen May not be the best choice for a vendor? I guess the only reason I wanted to go with them is because of the setting and liking the idea of having the setting and the diamond from the same place.

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to chime in and say that I bought a .80 carat, I colored, very good (not even ideal) cut stone from JA, and I was very happy with it. The color is fantastic! My e-ring is also an I, but I can see more color in my e-ring because it is a larger stone. The .80 I stone showed almost no color to my eyes, and faced up totally white. They are nice people to work with, and I have also purchased a setting from them before and was very pleased with it.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2007 11:46:13 PM
Are you recomending that James Allen May not be the best choice for a vendor? I guess the only reason I wanted to go with them is because of the setting and liking the idea of having the setting and the diamond from the same place.
I think the JA people are very nice and would never NOT recommend them. Here is the James Allen Upgrade Policy. If you don''t think you''d want to upgrade for 5 years, and you purchase a diamond from the InHouse Collection, this says you get 100% toward an upgrade.

If you think you might want to upgrade within 2 years, they will give you 70%.

I don''t like to endorse going into debt, but have you thought of requesting a credit limit increase?

Roupey03

Rough_Rock
I just got the card. . . I actually have not activated it yet. Could I ask for an increase already?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2007 11:01:59 PM
I just got the card. . . I actually have not activated it yet. Could I ask for an increase already?
Gee Roupey, I don't know. Sounds like you need to make a phone call.
2.gif

I'm not sure what your situation is, but just a thought - would you consider giving your GF a "promise ring" now and then buying her the E-ring later? I'm just thinking maybe it's better financially if you wait until you have a job and are earning a steady paycheck. You may be able to afford something better at a later date and you will have avoided going into debt. 0% interest for 12 months is great, as long as you know that in 12 months you will have the money to pay it off.

Here is a ring from The Facets Collection that would make a lovely promise ring. I think they will make it for you in a different color metal, or with a different color sapphire. It's MUCH more affordable and will give your GF the message that you want to marry her. 18K Sapphire Ring $275.

Just a thought. You sound like a really sweet guy Roupey and I don't want you to confuse you, but I also would hate to see you incur any financial hardship.
2.gif

Roupey03

Rough_Rock
I already bought her a saphire diamond ring. I do have the cash to pay for the ring. I have saved up about 4k while working at an internship, but I didnt want to spend all that money all at once because that is all the money I have in reserve.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Well sounds like you are pretty secure with the finances Roupey - glad to hear that. That 0% financing thing for 12 months is like free money. I suppose you have several options at this point:

1. Get a J in a larger diamond or a better color in a smaller diamond and stay within budget.
2. Get the H VS2 and blow the budget by about $500.
3. Keep looking.

Blowing the budget isn''t too bad because you have the money, plus the 0% deal. If the credit card co. will increase your limit, you''re set. If not, you could always pay part in cash, part by credit card.

What is your gut telling you?

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
About the J, Roupey,.........

When you''ve been out in jewelry stores in the Mall,........ Were you aware that many of the preset diamond jewelry pieces have I/J/K and sometimes lower color, I1/I2 stones in them??!!

I''m not talking Lab Certed diamond engagement rings. I''m referring to the sparkly baubbles that Kay''s and Zales are advertising now on TV. The earrings and necklaces and such. Do you see color in those pieces that your female friends are wearing??!!

And now think about this,.......... The diamonds in those preset pieces of jewelry are probably only average cut at best.

In your case,........ These diamonds you''re considering are CHERRIES!! Cream of the crop!! Top 5% of all diamonds cut!!!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Have you made a decision yet? I''m curious to see what you get and which way you go with your decision.
1.gif

Roupey03

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your help guys. I think I am going to go ahead and go with a J stone.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful! I think you'll be very happy with it. A well-cut J will look beautiful. Don't forget to post pics!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results