shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Hunting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

karat

Rough_Rock
Hello this is my first post. I have been looking at diamonds for some time. I have found this site to be very helpful so I thought I might tap some of the knowledge here to help me get the most rock for the money.

My main question is for a stone to fall into the excellent light return range how do you calculate what is the max diameter that a diamond can be, at a particular weight? I really could care less what the weight of the diamond is but I know that has an effect on price. I just don''t want to give away any apparent size for that weight. I want to get one with the max diameter but still have excellent light return for the size I purchase. The following is kind of what I am looking for:

I am looking for a diamond with excellent light return ( great ideal-scope in the excellent range)
For me symmetry can be at the very good level if the light return is excellent.
I want ideal proportions but I want the largest dia I can get and still have a great cut and Excellent light return.
VS1 or VS2 with clear imperfections.
It needs to be unaltered - no silicon or other treatments to enhance the diamond.
None or very slight florescence
Color at F-I ( really would like GIA cert)
Prefer faceted girdle
Polish excellent maybe very good would do.
Probably a good range to start would be 59-62.5 for the depth and 53-59 for the table but hey you are the expert.
I would like a stone about 7.7mm in dia or slightly larger.

Thanks

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is your budget?

karat

Rough_Rock
With some hunting it appears I can find such a stone in the 10K range.

Thanks

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/23/2009 7:54:16 PM
Author: karat
With some hunting it appears I can find such a stone in the 10K range.

Thanks
Welcome!

For the budget I would consider GIA/ AGS graded SI clarities which are verified eyeclean by a trusted vendor, I or J colour graded as before, then get the largest and best cut diamond you can for the budget. Also bear in mind shallower diamonds may have a bigger spread but there can be trade offs for this which may result in visual sacrifice. I would go with a diamond with proven proportions with images such as ASET, if you find a well cut diamond the spread will fall into place.

karat

Rough_Rock

Can you give me your thoughts on this diamond? This is all the info I have.

7.73 Cts

7.91 x 7.81 x 4.67 mm

Depth % 59.4
Table % 59
Crown% 14
Pav % 43

Thin Faceted

Polish Ex
Sym Ex
cutlet none
VS2
Color 1
Labeled prem cut

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 6:38:59 PM
Author: karat

Can you give me your thoughts on this diamond? This is all the info I have.

7.73 Cts

7.91 x 7.81 x 4.67 mm

Depth % 59.4

Table % 59

Crown% 14

Pav % 43

Thin Faceted

Polish Ex

Sym Ex

cutlet none

VS2

Color 1

Labeled prem cut

WOW! 7.73C? :razz:

The numbers looks good but I prefer to check the HCA score again using the angles, it is more accurate that way. Any chance of getting an IS image and posting it here?

karat

Rough_Rock
Haha now I know how to get your attention. It''s a 1.73 C. I don''t think I can get any other numbers. Actually it fits my budget so I think it is worth looking at. The cut calculator on this site puts it in a good range.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
It has potential but it will be a different look than a near-tolk.

Need pictures, IS or ASET preferred.

Who is the grading report by?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2009 10:03:44 PM
Author: strmrdr
It has potential but it will be a different look than a near-tolk.

Need pictures, IS or ASET preferred.

Who is the grading report by?
Ditto

karat

Rough_Rock
EGL is the grader.

If you compare the one above with this one what is the difference? This one is a H&A again graded by EGL

1.9 C / VS2 / H

7.96 x 7.99 x 4.87

Med Fac
Depth 61.1%
Table 58%
crown 14%
pav 44%
no cutlet
EX polish / Ex Sym

I have heard that not all H&A will look as good as other cuts. How does these two compare? Which one will look bigger to the eye? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results