shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Hunting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

karat

Rough_Rock
Hello this is my first post. I have been looking at diamonds for some time. I have found this site to be very helpful so I thought I might tap some of the knowledge here to help me get the most rock for the money.

My main question is for a stone to fall into the excellent light return range how do you calculate what is the max diameter that a diamond can be, at a particular weight? I really could care less what the weight of the diamond is but I know that has an effect on price. I just don''t want to give away any apparent size for that weight. I want to get one with the max diameter but still have excellent light return for the size I purchase. The following is kind of what I am looking for:

I am looking for a diamond with excellent light return ( great ideal-scope in the excellent range)
For me symmetry can be at the very good level if the light return is excellent.
I want ideal proportions but I want the largest dia I can get and still have a great cut and Excellent light return.
VS1 or VS2 with clear imperfections.
It needs to be unaltered - no silicon or other treatments to enhance the diamond.
None or very slight florescence
Color at F-I ( really would like GIA cert)
Prefer faceted girdle
Polish excellent maybe very good would do.
Probably a good range to start would be 59-62.5 for the depth and 53-59 for the table but hey you are the expert.
I would like a stone about 7.7mm in dia or slightly larger.

Thanks

What is your budget?

With some hunting it appears I can find such a stone in the 10K range.

Thanks

Date: 2/23/2009 7:54:16 PM
Author: karat
With some hunting it appears I can find such a stone in the 10K range.

Thanks
Welcome!

For the budget I would consider GIA/ AGS graded SI clarities which are verified eyeclean by a trusted vendor, I or J colour graded as before, then get the largest and best cut diamond you can for the budget. Also bear in mind shallower diamonds may have a bigger spread but there can be trade offs for this which may result in visual sacrifice. I would go with a diamond with proven proportions with images such as ASET, if you find a well cut diamond the spread will fall into place.

Can you give me your thoughts on this diamond? This is all the info I have.

7.73 Cts

7.91 x 7.81 x 4.67 mm

Depth % 59.4
Table % 59
Crown% 14
Pav % 43

Thin Faceted

Polish Ex
Sym Ex
cutlet none
VS2
Color 1
Labeled prem cut

Date: 2/27/2009 6:38:59 PM
Author: karat

Can you give me your thoughts on this diamond? This is all the info I have.

7.73 Cts

7.91 x 7.81 x 4.67 mm

Depth % 59.4

Table % 59

Crown% 14

Pav % 43

Thin Faceted

Polish Ex

Sym Ex

cutlet none

VS2

Color 1

Labeled prem cut

WOW! 7.73C? :P

The numbers looks good but I prefer to check the HCA score again using the angles, it is more accurate that way. Any chance of getting an IS image and posting it here?

Haha now I know how to get your attention. It''s a 1.73 C. I don''t think I can get any other numbers. Actually it fits my budget so I think it is worth looking at. The cut calculator on this site puts it in a good range.

It has potential but it will be a different look than a near-tolk.

Need pictures, IS or ASET preferred.

Who is the grading report by?

Date: 2/27/2009 10:03:44 PM
Author: strmrdr
It has potential but it will be a different look than a near-tolk.

Need pictures, IS or ASET preferred.

Who is the grading report by?
Ditto

EGL is the grader.

If you compare the one above with this one what is the difference? This one is a H&A again graded by EGL

1.9 C / VS2 / H

7.96 x 7.99 x 4.87

Med Fac
Depth 61.1%
Table 58%
crown 14%
pav 44%
no cutlet
EX polish / Ex Sym

I have heard that not all H&A will look as good as other cuts. How does these two compare? Which one will look bigger to the eye? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP