shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond huggies - did they stand the test of time?

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My dear Price scope Friends,

When several years ago (around 2011) I have found Pricescope, I have seen all those threads with spectacular diamond huggie earrings that were all rage at that time. I felt that I would love to have something similar, but never had a budget for that.

Now I might have the budget for such a project (besides our 10 years anniversary is approaching), so I started thinking about this project again.

Now my question to the diamond huggies owners: do you still wear your hoop earrings, did they stand the test of time for you? Would you consider them your staple piece?

As for me, as my main staple pieces (at least when it comes to ears), I have my 1.85ctw OEC diamond studs and my pearl earrings. I love my studs and right now do not feel the urge to upgrade them.

I would love to hear your opinions

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You linked exactly the kind of huggies that I wanted. I was thinking about getting them in with slightly larger stones, like 25 pointers. I will probably need to go custom though.

I am only undecided whether I want 4 or 5 stones per earring. I want them to be as short as possible, but with a massive bling factor. I guess it will depend whether there are settings for 2.5ctw or whether I need to go custom anyway

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeh, its kind of slow today. Hopefully, others will chime in soon.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My studs are my staples, but my 1ctw inside-out huggies get a fair amount of wear, especially in summer - they're extraordinarily blingy for such small pieces. I can only imagine how much more blingy hoops or huggies with larger stones or pave might be!

Roi

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have 1.7 ctw studs and 1.5 ctw WF huggies, i wear huggies more often. I love them, but
I have relatively small earlobes and i still feel that these are a bit too big for me, so i usually wear huggies when i wear my hair open.

LaylaR

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I have a pair of small platinum French-pave huggies that I adore. I wear them all the time. They are understated and elegant and perfect for every day wear. I think they are timeless.

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I purchased a pair of WF 1.50 ct hoops from diamondseeker2006 several years ago and they are my go to choice for daily wear.
I also have a pair of 3.30 ct Ascendency studs but I choose the hoops more.

Oh, that sounds lovely and supports my wish. I really try to stick to few, but we'll thought through pieces, so I love to hear that they wear so well for you (and may be even see the earshot, if I ask really nicely)

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My studs are my staples, but my 1ctw inside-out huggies get a fair amount of wear, especially in summer - they're extraordinarily blingy for such small pieces. I can only imagine how much more blingy hoops or huggies with larger stones or pave might be!

So true, Yssie! Your studs are such incredible pieces, I adore how much attention to detail you have put into them. They are true stars I am sure those huggies look really lovely on you.

I really try to figure out how a huggie with 25 pointers would work. I did not manage to find any pictures of 2ctw or 2.5 ctw huggies worn

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have 1.7 ctw studs and 1.5 ctw WF huggies, i wear huggies more often. I love them, but
I have relatively small earlobes and i still feel that these are a bit too big for me, so i usually wear huggies when i wear my hair open.

This is exactly my case - I have tiny earlobes and 6mm really max it out for me when it comes to studs. I would love to see you wearing both of them. Would be great to see the look on the fellow small earlobe owner

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a pair of small platinum French-pave huggies that I adore. I wear them all the time. They are understated and elegant and perfect for every day wear. I think they are timeless.

That sounds really delicious. Sounds like such a classical and timeless piece

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my hoops, I just took them off today to go back to my studs. I think they are classic!

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_20190213_111503.jpg Ok, I made a test by putting my 5 stone ring next to the ear :lol:

Looks like it will be nice and blingy. Now I only need to decide whether I want 4 or five stones per hoop. I am not sure about the length of 2ctw hoops, but the way the ring looks, it is a tad too long for my taste. May be the hoop curve more?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_20190213_111503.jpg Ok, I made a test by putting my 5 stone ring next to the ear :lol:

Looks like it will be nice and blingy. Now I only need to decide whether I want 4 or five stones per hoop. I am not sure about the length of 2ctw hoops, but the way the ring looks, it is a tad too long for my taste. May be the hoop curve more?

Beautiful and blingy. And IMO a great alternative to studs. I have studs and I never wear them but prefer reaching for my huggies or my hoops.
Do you want hoops or huggies? Both my hoops and huggies have stood the test of time and are versatile and fun to wear. Huggies are more subtle and obviously hug the ear more closely and hoops stick out more. So if you want huggies yes make them curve closer to your ear. Since I prefer to see only diamonds I say maybe do more diamonds vs fewer diamonds so only the diamonds show and not the metal.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I have diamond hoops that I don’t wear at all anymore. I just find studs to be so much more comfortable for me that they’re pretty much all I wear. But just giving you my opinion, you may love the hoops.

Dizzie

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have diamond hoops that I don’t wear at all anymore. I just find studs to be so much more comfortable for me that they’re pretty much all I wear. But just giving you my opinion, you may love the hoops.

Thank you, Coda. It is great to hear the cons too. I definitely need this to make an educated decision. Do you happen to have larger hoops or huggies?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My fat face and fat earlobes do not suit any style of earrings that make my already wide face any wider.

I can only wear low profile studs, and tiny huggies that hug the earlobes without sticking out.

I searched for a suitable pair of tiny D-shape huggies with diamonds for years without much success, until I was in LA in 2016.

They are tiny, about 0.36cttw, and about 12mm deep.

I don't not wear them on their own as they are too tiny. However I made interchangeable pearl drops to go with them, and had a pair of paved diamond drops made last year.

They are my go-to earrings when I need something a little dressier. The drops are short which means I can wear them with glasses as I don't like to wear long dangling earrings with glasses.

Pics of my huggies with paved diamond drops and a pair of lavender CFWP drops that I wire-wrapped myself (I also made a pair of white CFWPs and a pair of Tahitians to go with the huggies).

2018-09-07-22-44-30.jpg
2018-09-07-22-50-58.jpg
huggieswithdrops.jpg

I believe small diamond huggies are timeless, and if I have some spare pennies, I would get a bigger pair of D-shape diamond huggies.

I used to have a pair of small diamond huggies set with baguettes, sold them as I did not like them.

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It also depends on how you wear your hair...I feel like you cannot even see studs on me but the hoops are oh so blingy beautiful. I also feel sassy when I wear my hoops and I love the hoopittude they give me. :lol:

And isn't it all about how the bling makes us feel? Have you gone to a jewelry store and tried on different hoops/huggies? I definitely think that would be a good idea if you have not yet done it to see how it makes you feel. And see what weight is comfortable for you. For me 2.5 grams per ear is the max I can tolerate and still be comfortable.

Here's an older photo of my first pair of hoop earrings. About an inch and a quarter or so in diameter I think

hoopsincarwithcats.jpeg

and another pair about 2 plus inches in diameter I think (too big for me to wear comfortably) but they are blingy.

swarovskihoops.jpg

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I don't have Huggies, but smaller hoops of about 1 inch. For me, I don't wear them. I prefer a stud or a simple dangle that's not too long.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want a pair as well. Thanks for the thread. I’m reading along.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results