shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Help

ShinyShelly

Rough_Rock
Hi All!

I know another diamond help thread lol. I have been researching over the last week and have only served to drive myself up a wall. I am looking at stones from Frank Darling as I am getting the setting there. I am looking for something in the 1.5 carat range. From my research I know I want to prioritize cut over the other Cs and its going to be in platinum so I rather a colorless diamond but I am open to suggestions. I am not deadset on anything but a good cut for maximum sparkle.

I have been looking at gcal 8x as it seems to be the best way to get a good cut but I am not sure if I should look at IGI or GIA diamonds. I see that IGI marks hearts and arrows but as I understand with GIA you just need to go by ratios. I am hoping to keep the budget around 2k. The consultant is suggesting the below stone, what are the experts heres thoughts? Are there any others that you would recommend I also consider?

Thanks!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take a look at this one as well. It is cheaper and is HPHT with no blue nuance.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! These are another two that the consultant recommended that are similar to the recommended but has hearts and arrows. What do you think of them? Only downside is I can't bring them in to view before purchase.

https://www.igi.org/verify-your-report/?r=601396610
https://www.igi.org/verify-your-report/?r=602387063

Pass on the 1.52. The 1.58 has potential, but I like the one I posted better. I would also take IGI's designation of H&A with a grain of salt.

ShinyShelly

Rough_Rock
Pass on the 1.52. The 1.58 has potential, but I like the one I posted better. I would also take IGI's designation of H&A with a grain of salt.

Thank you! I really appreciate it. For my understanding, what do you like about the one you are recommending?

It looks like that diamond is probably by the same vendor and won't allow Frank Darling to memo it for further viewing. Do you think its a safe bet to buy unseen? I believe them offer returns if I hate it but I am pretty nerous about ordering one without additonal videos.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, ShinyShelly!
Here ...have Frank Darling price match and never look back.

Video:

Report:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I really appreciate it. For my understanding, what do you like about the one you are recommending?

It looks like that diamond is probably by the same vendor and won't allow Frank Darling to memo it for further viewing. Do you think its a safe bet to buy unseen? I believe them offer returns if I hate it but I am pretty nerous about ordering one without additonal videos.

The 1.58's proportions are riskier, and the video shows some areas under the table where I'd want to verify that there's no leakage.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Another one, if you want thicker arrows and a bit more fiery 40.6/35 combo.
...note: the diamond is a little off-center in the video, so don't let that influence the visual result.

Video:

Report:

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
Just a note Frank Darling no longer price matches at all.

• At Frank Darling, we made the decision to discontinue our Price Match Guarantee. Why did we do this? Well, at the end of the day we found that there really is no matching our fair, transparently-priced, handmade jewelry.
      When you buy fine jewelry from Frank Darling you don't have to worry about secret markups or hidden fees - we price each breathtaking piece fairly and in accordance with the quality and post-purchase care that Frank Darling has come to be known and loved for. Plus, because we believe that happy employees make for even happier customers, our pricing manages to not only support our fabulous jewelry but also ensure that our rockstar team is well taken care of.... it's a win-win, darling.

We also know that we would be nowhere without our everyday heroes and we’re all about honoring those who make a difference --the Military, First Responders, Nurses, Teachers, Students, and Government Employees. We see you, and we want to show our appreciation with a $100 discount off of a purchase of a setting and a certified loose diamond when purchased together.

Just chat in to get your custom promo code to add to check out!

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
It is kind of why I stopped shopping with them. Their setting work is top notch but their diamond pricing is ridiculous compared to other sellers. Their settings are beautiful and well made but I can have a similar design custom made for about the same price or less and get a diamond at a much better price. Nothing about their service warrants the higher pricing. Places like White Flash, Brian Gavin, Jann Paul, Distinctive Gem can definitely justify their higher prices due to the extra mile they go in service. The experience at Frank Darling just does not warrant paying hundreds more for the same stone that is listed on 5 other sites for less.

ShinyShelly

Rough_Rock
Another one, if you want thicker arrows and a bit more fiery 40.6/35 combo.
...note: the diamond is a little off-center in the video, so don't let that influence the visual result.

Video:

Report:

Thank you for the suggestion! It looks really pretty though I worry if it would be a little big.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the suggestion! It looks really pretty though I worry if it would be a little big.

Naaaaaaah haha
I can find you some options in in the 1.90+ range for your budget if you want to go "too big" :lol:

Last edited:

LTCT814

Shiny_Rock
Naaaaaaah haha
I can find you some options in in the 1.90+ range for your budget if you want to go "too big" :lol:

This is how I ended up with a 2.69 ct instead of a 2 ct - @DejaWiz can be quite convincing! :P2:lol-2:

ShinyShelly

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

What do you think of this? This was another they suggested and I wanted to get see what the experts thought. Though I might end up going with Kim's original suggestion. =)2

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All,

What do you think of this? This was another they suggested and I wanted to get see what the experts thought. Though I might end up going with Kim's original suggestion. =)2

For a ring, I personally prefer pavilion angles of 40.6-40.9.

ShinyShelly

Rough_Rock
For a ring, I personally prefer pavilion angles of 40.6-40.9.

How does that affect the diamond? Sorry to ask so many questions. I am super nervous about this purchase and really just want to get a good diamond. I guess I am grasping at straws with the whole H&A thing.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How does that affect the diamond? Sorry to ask so many questions. I am super nervous about this purchase and really just want to get a good diamond. I guess I am grasping at straws with the whole H&A thing.

It's a "safer" range because if any of the pavilion mains fall below around 40.45, the diamond may have some unwanted obstruction. The pavilion angle is an average, so with 40.5, it is likely that some of the mains will go below 40.45.

ShinyShelly

Rough_Rock
I was looking at slightly more expensive ones. What do you think of these two? Are they worth the increase in price vs the 1.52?

1.5 D VVS2

1.51 E VVS1

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was looking at slightly more expensive ones. What do you think of these two? Are they worth the increase in price vs the 1.52?

1.5 D VVS2

1.51 E VVS1

The D is not that precisely cut. The E is gorgeous, but the premium over the 1.52 is huge. Only you can determine if the H&A designation is worth it to you.

ShinyShelly

Rough_Rock
The D is not that precisely cut. The E is gorgeous, but the premium over the 1.52 is huge. Only you can determine if the H&A designation is worth it to you.

I thought that one looked particularly stricking to my unexperienced eye. Its honestly not that big of an expense to us. I just feel mildly guilty about the prices, especially since Frank Darling is going for a more then other sites. I'm going to pull my hair out lol.

I know this is all just based on the certs/videos which makes it hard to tell. Based on what we are able to see would you said it a better diamond then the 1.52? I am suffering a bit of analysis paralysis. If I was to presumptuous and ask, what would you do?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought that one looked particularly stricking to my unexperienced eye. Its honestly not that big of an expense to us. I just feel mildly guilty about the prices, especially since Frank Darling is going for a more then other sites. I'm going to pull my hair out lol.

I know this is all just based on the certs/videos which makes it hard to tell. Based on what we are able to see would you said it a better diamond then the 1.52? I am suffering a bit of analysis paralysis. If I was to presumptuous and ask, what would you do?

If you're ready to put a couple on hold, I have two new links for you. Let me know when you're here.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm here!

Both with H&A designation and beautifully cut. The first one has my favorite crown/pavilion combo.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll be offline for a bit, but I'll be back later. Hope you're able to put them on hold while you're thinking about them.

ShinyShelly

Rough_Rock
I'll be offline for a bit, but I'll be back later. Hope you're able to put them on hold while you're thinking about them.

Thank you so much! I can't express how much you have helped me! I love the ones you suggested and am going to snag one.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much! I can't express how much you have helped me! I love the ones you suggested and am going to snag one.

You're very welcome! I'm so glad you were able to grab the first one. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts when it arrives!

ShinyShelly

Rough_Rock
Well seems the one I tried to get was already purchased when I bought it. :cry2:

The seller is offering this one at a price match because of the misshap. Is this comparable? It looks like the crown angle is outside the ideals?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Well seems the one I tried to get was already purchased when I bought it. :cry2:

The seller is offering this one at a price match because of the misshap. Is this comparable? It looks like the crown angle is outside the ideals?

That diamond is $905 at Loose Grown Diamond...

ShinyShelly

Rough_Rock
That diamond is $905 at Loose Grown Diamond...

I wouldn't be paying the Frank Darling price as I already bought a cheaper stone. Do you see anything wrong with this one? The vendor also told me they would wave any return with it if I pulled it in and I didn't like it.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't be paying the Frank Darling price as I already bought a cheaper stone. Do you see anything wrong with this one? The vendor also told me they would wave any return with it if I pulled it in and I didn't like it.

Depends on the price, knowing that they have it listed arond $500 more than their competitors.
Looks fine in the video - is FD willing to provide ASET images and videos before you commit to it?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results