color
clarity

Diamond has changed

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

DaytonaG

Rough_Rock
@yssie Yes that's the one! I'm going to have a play around in different lights now and see how it is after these two rounds of ultrasonic. Then to the jeweler!

Thank you for the reassurances everyone!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the reassurance! I'm going to try the dish soap this morning in work. They have some basic stuff for me to soak it in.
They also have alcohol based hand sanitizer so I'll try that too, and thenbgiving it two goes in the ultrasonic when I get home. I'll throw the kitchen sink at it (literally, if it doesn't get back to normal soon!).

@flyingpig I've tried all angles, backgrounds and lighting, replicating the exact same conditions as usual, and the arrows are not reflecting in the way they used to. My reference to black arrows was only to reassure myself that they are still there, by looking down on the stone.

Of course there is a possibility it's a Cz. That would be terrible! I'll have to check when my tester arrives, just so I've covered all bases.
If you see black arrows when looking down the stone, the arrows will fire and sizzle when shine light from 75 degree or above. I still think it is the angle.

Use the smart phone flash light and place it in front of you. Shine light onto the diamond from 75 degrees of above

DaytonaG

Rough_Rock
Well... I have had some success after the ultrasonic - and the arrows are lighting up again! Yay!

There must have been some film residue from the solution I was soaking it in? Whatever it was has taken a lot to get rid of!

I'm so relieved!!

While I was messing around with the lighting earlier, I took this shot (well a screenshot of my video) - looks like a sun!
Screenshot_20180613-233218_Gallery.jpg
The red hue is due to me covering the flash with my finger.

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Well... I have had some success after the ultrasonic - and the arrows are lighting up again! Yay!

There must have been some film residue from the solution I was soaking it in? Whatever it was has taken a lot to get rid of!

I'm so relieved!!

While I was messing around with the lighting earlier, I took this shot (well a screenshot of my video) - looks like a sun!
Screenshot_20180613-233218_Gallery.jpg
The red hue is due to me covering the flash with my finger.
Geez what a relief! Whatever if was mustve been on there pretty good. I remember using hairspray with a pair of earrings on and one side just never looked right again until I scrubbed it with oven cleaner. It was an extreme measure but I panicked! I'll never use it again but it drove me crazy for a while because I couldn't remember what had happened! Glad she's back in action

DaytonaG

Rough_Rock
@McGinnis Ah thank you - it is a huge relief!
Oven cleaner - that would would have been me tomorrow if it hadn't been sorted tonight!!

The solution I was using is a no-rinse formula. You just take the ring out and dry it. That doesn't sound like a good idea now - looking back. Perhaps I'll stick with soap and my ultrasonic.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@McGinnis Ah thank you - it is a huge relief!
Oven cleaner - that would would have been me tomorrow if it hadn't been sorted tonight!!

The solution I was using is a no-rinse formula. You just take the ring out and dry it. That doesn't sound like a good idea now - looking back. Perhaps I'll stick with soap and my ultrasonic.
I'm a bit fan of blue dawn and hot water. Scrub with toothbrush. Rinse with water. I rinse with alcohol to remove the water in the less accessible areas. We have a whole house filtration/conditioning system (saltless), so I don't have to worry about hard water.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So glad you found what was wrong and that the ultrasonic took care of it. So, the lesson learned is no more jewelry cleaners. Dawn and water is the way to go. :)

DaytonaG

Rough_Rock
I was reading up on the use of alcohol, and some websites have said to leave the jewellery to soak overnight. Is this OK for white gold? I worry about discolouration.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
have said to leave the jewellery to soak overnight. Is this OK for white gold? I worry about discolouration.

Alchohol will have no impact on white gold, which is really plated with thin layer of rhodium. Rhodium is in the platinum family of metals. If the white gold is the gold+palladium blend and unplated, then its the same non-issue.

There is not reason to soak a ring overnight unless the ring has been jammed full of something (like hand sanitizer) that needs to be dissolved. If you did, you'd need to put it in a sealed container or the alcohol will just evaporate off. I come in contact with all kinds of gross stuff and just wash as noted above with dawn+hot water+tooth brush. Rinse. Dry. Alcohol. I use my ultrasonic periodically with dawn as well, but that mostly to help with my Etoile style Wband which has tiny cleaning holes.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm happy to hear that there was a easy resolution to this! I rarely use the Jewelry Cleaners that I've been given, seems like it's a good idea to keep not using it....which drives my DF crazy when I have my rings soaking, but...he'll live!

I am stealing this! :lol::lol:

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So glad you found what was wrong and that the ultrasonic took care of it. So, the lesson learned is no more jewelry cleaners. Dawn and water is the way to go. :)

I have to say that there are some good jewelry cleaners out in the market and many of them will not leave a film on them. One of the very best of them went out of business some years ago due to the health of the owner, which I have always thought to be very sad.

Look for products that are not petroleum based as the petroleum based products tend to leave a light film on your diamond. If the film becomes additive, ie buildup on top of buildup, then problems happen.

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I was reading up on the use of alcohol, and some websites have said to leave the jewellery to soak overnight. Is this OK for white gold? I worry about discolouration.

Never leave your gold jewelry to soak more than a few minutes in an ammonia based soak. The ammonia can react with some metals and leave a nasty looking color.

Wink

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have to say that there are some good jewelry cleaners out in the market and many of them will not leave a film on them. One of the very best of them went out of business some years ago due to the health of the owner, which I have always thought to be very sad.

Look for products that are not petroleum based as the petroleum based products tend to leave a light film on your diamond. If the film becomes additive, ie buildup on top of buildup, then problems happen.

Wink

Good to know, thanks for the info! But if cheap dish soap in the ultrasonic works, then I think I'll stick with that. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;)2

DaytonaG

Rough_Rock

Wink

It's good that there are some quality cleaners, but I will always be a little wary now!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's good that there are some quality cleaners, but I will always be a little wary now!

As you should be. There are some great personal steamers on the market also, these may assist in getting hard scum off the back of your diamond after a good soak, and may help prevent the petroleum products from leaving a film. When I am cleaning at home, I use a can of compressed air to blow off the backs of my wife's diamonds to prevent water spotting.

Wink

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dawn soap and if you have hard water distilled water, then if that wont get it a professional cleaning is needed. Optional but not a bad idea is a hair dryer or canned air to dry them.
Home ultrasonic and steamers are ok if your careful but are not as powerful as the professional models.
Imho there is nothing better than a professional steam cleaning and inspection.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results