carat
color
clarity

Diamond Fell Off of Engagement Ring

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
2023|1344469472|3248187 said:
Dreamer, I agree as Yssie just said that settings such as pave setting and eternity bands can be prone to losing diamonds, but I did not think in a solitaire with a very expensive diamond that it would be common to fall out. It sounds like it was a cheap setting, and in cheap settings it must be more common? I understand as well that a 25k ring versus a 25k diamond in a cheap setting etc, but I just find a 2ct diamond falling out quite shocking, but that's just my opinion.

Hi 2023,

I want to clarify that Newbie didn't purchase a cheap setting, he just purchased one that wasn't the most appropriate for his diamond. That setting is one of our most popular and is a beautiful and safe choice for most customers. Having a diamond fall out of any ring is shocking (the first time you hear about it), but so is hearing about a diamond being chipped. Unfortunately these things do happen.

To be honest I would have thought that Newbiedummi probably wouldnt have blinked an eye if he had to pay extra at the beginning to have the diamond secured, but I could be wrong, if he outright refused or insisted thats different but from the sound of his last thread he sounds pretty relaxed and easy going and bought the diamond pretty fast...

I don't know how fast Newbie made his purchase, but I can tell you from firsthand experience he is a pretty relaxed and easy going guy. I had the pleasure of speaking with him by phone today and we're working together on getting this resolved. It's understanding that with such an emotionally charged purchase for people to react strongly, so we do our best to move the conversation from "shocked/appalled/ridiculous" and get down to a real solution. When someone like Newbie approaches us open-minded and with respect we work doubly hard to make things right.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer, I agree as Yssie just said that settings such as pave setting and eternity bands can be prone to losing diamonds, but I did not think in a solitaire with a very expensive diamond that it would be common to fall out. It sounds like it was a cheap setting, and in cheap settings it must be more common? I understand as well that a 25k ring versus a 25k diamond in a cheap setting etc, but I just find a 2ct diamond falling out quite shocking, but that's just my opinion.

Well, I didn't say it was a cheap setting, I said it was a stock mount with a peg head. That is not synonymous with cheap but it is synonymous with "not custom made for your diamond". Therein lies the issue, in this case at least.

Stone popping out: Common, no. Not common at all as your own personal experience attests. But possible, yes. There is a very large sample of diamond buyers on PS and I can think of at least 2-3 cases like this where a stone fell out from threads on PS. Usually the stone comes loose -- as Jim said RBs will get loose and spin whereas a cushion might fall out, given the same loosening of a prong. There are fewer cushions around, ergo fewer diamonds fall out. If you don't personally know anyone with a cushion, then its just that much less likely you will know someone who loses a stone. Actually, I bet more than a few of the people you know has loose diamonds and just don't notice ::) I was examining my friends engagement ring and noticed her stone was both loose and chipped. Mose people likely just don't even notice when their rings are damaged.

I also don't know anyone in my real life who has chipped a diamond -- well save my friend who did not know or care ;)) But here on PS we see it regularly.

I guess my point is YES its shocking. But it is not really a case for castigation of a vendor, not if they are working to resolve the issue with the consumer.

And regarding the sunglasses. I get the point you are making about customer service. But Bulgari likely has a profit margin of... oh... 1000% on those sunglasses. In other words, their cost to manufacture the sunglasses is about 10% of your purchase price. Maybe less. They can replace them for you about 8 times and still have a 200% profit margin ;)) I wager that JAs profit margin on setting is in the 5% to 20% range -- care to share Jim? :read: I seem to recall on diamonds the profit margin for an operation like JA is under 5%. Totally and completely a different situation than designer sunglasses, and you simply cannot expect the same resolution.

Shiny_Rock
I just remembered they were swarovski crystals, but yes I am sure the sunglasses were marked up a lot. I guess I put expensive diamonds in the category of luxury items...though interesting point about the markup of diamonds. Its good its getting sorted out.

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to say you are so lucky, your wife realised the diamond fell out. I would most definitely have it reset in a 6 prong setting for sure.

I have a solitaire which turns slightly and it's in a four prong, the jeweller has tightened it in the past, but it eventually comes loose again. I will be resetting it very soon on his advice. I don't wear it very often due to this because I am terrified it will fall out.

Hope it all ends well :wavey:

NewbieDummy

Rough_Rock
My wife is terrified of losing the diamond again so we're going to have it reset in a four prong halo setting (something hopefully similar in design to a harry winston micro pave halo?) She really likes the look of four prongs and I assume combining that with a halo setting makes the diamond extra secure?

As Jim posted, we've been working with him on the new setting and he's agreed to give us a credit us for the original setting. It's unfortunate that the diamond came out but JA has been professional in resolving the issue and I've learned more about diamonds, girdles and shanks than I really wanted to know..

I'll post pictures of the ring once we finalize the setting and get it back from JA..

Shiny_Rock
NewbieDummy|1344526307|3248510 said:
I've learned more about diamonds, girdles and shanks than I really wanted to know..

Haha :))

Glad to hear its being resolved and sounds beautiful :))

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fantastic update! I'm so glad you and JA have worked out a compromise that you are both happy with. Very exciting and soooo happy that your diamond was not lost but will now be set securely and in a lovely new halo to boot! Woo hoo!

ViraLovesTiffanys

Rough_Rock
I would request getting a double claw for your cushion. If the metal does not form the "Tiffany Lip" triangle with enough metal to secure it, than the double claw offers tension resistance from both corners of each rounded edge, supporting it from ever coming loose and sideways falling out because its a north to south stone. ALWAYS LIP OR DOUBLE CLAW, the previous 4 prong mounting is for a round, but the head can be removed and a new can be soddered no problem.

just realized wrote too late

NewbieDummy

Rough_Rock
Here's the repaired ring with the new halo... My wife hasn't seen it yet but I think it looks great.

This should be more secure as it's my understanding that the diamond is now sitting on the halo and then held in place by the four prongs which "push down" against the halo. This should keep the diamond firmly in place...

Thanks for everyone's help.

20120819_084136.jpg

20120819_084200.jpg

20120819_084213.jpg

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
It's beautiful AND practical in the sense of keeping the stone in place :)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful! I'm glad you were able to work it out with JA!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks great! I hope you have no more problems.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks perfectly happy in its new home!! I'm so glad it all panned out and you have your wife's ring back --- SECURED--- in a beautiful setting! A very good ending to a scary situation :bigsmile:

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
It turned out gorgeous, glad that it turned out to be a happy ending, please post handshots :love:

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that looks absolutely gorgeous! Glad everything worked out :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results