Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Experts Help- Should I purchase this K Colored Oval?

prettyyellow2011

Rough_Rock
Joined
May 26, 2011
Messages
6
Hello all:

I've been lurking on this site for a while now and my boyfriend and I are shopping for an engagement ring. I recently recieved the attached pictures of an oval diamond (GIA - 2.5carats, K color with strong blue flouresence) and I would like to set the diamond in a platinum halo but i'm concerned that the diamond will look extremely yellow next to a halo with H-I diamonds. I've been looking at diamonds for a while and this one caught my eye. All comments/thoughts/advice are welcome.

Image of .jpg

DSCN0295.JPG

DSCN0293.JPG
 

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
3,517
Re: Should I purchase this K Colored Oval?

I think it looks like a beautiful stone! Ovals are tricky too but I'm not expert when it comes to them.

if your worried about the warmth of it in a halo you can have the melee chosen in lower colors. Here are a link to videos with lower colored stones with halos to help you out (you can also search the videos for more ovals as well)

This is a J but is should give you some idea
http://www.youtube.com/user/DiamondInfoMan#p/search/4/XwsMqUcz9S8
 

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 14, 2009
Messages
20,748
Re: Diamond Experts Help- Should I purchase this K Colored O

it looks like a pretty stone :sun:

ovals, pears, marquises, princesses - tend to show body colour unevenly. Your oval will show more tint at the tips and less in the middle, are you okay with that? Will you be okay with that once it's set, if you halo it and the tips contrast more against the melee in your halo than the middle? I think there will be a visible colour difference, yes, especially to one who is looking closely. That said - it may or may not bother you IRL!


vintage - I don't think lower coloured stones in the halo will help - the stones are so tiny, there isn't enough material to concentrate body colour into anything of any significance. The tiny little stones just return light so differently from the larger centre - D/E, H/I/J melee are all going to look like little white dots (discussion in sara's thread https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=144474)
 

prettyyellow2011

Rough_Rock
Joined
May 26, 2011
Messages
6
Re: Diamond Experts Help- Should I purchase this K Colored O

Yssie|1309461227|2959291 said:
it looks like a pretty stone :sun:

ovals, pears, marquises, princesses - tend to show body colour unevenly. Your oval will show more tint at the tips and less in the middle, are you okay with that? Will you be okay with that once it's set, if you halo it and the tips contrast more against the melee in your halo than the middle? I think there will be a visible colour difference, yes, especially to one who is looking closely. That said - it may or may not bother you IRL!


vintage - I don't think lower coloured stones in the halo will help - the stones are so tiny, there isn't enough material to concentrate body colour into anything of any significance. The tiny little stones just return light so differently from the larger centre - D/E, H/I/J melee are all going to look like little white dots (discussion in sara's thread https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=144474)
I think that I would be ok with the tips contrasting a little more with the halo. BTW it will be a micro pave halo with a split shank. I was also wondering if maybe there will be less of a contrast if I went with a non-halo setting with sidestones that are 1/6 or 1/10 ct.
 

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 14, 2009
Messages
20,748
Re: Diamond Experts Help- Should I purchase this K Colored O

prettyyellow2011|1309461854|2959303 said:
Yssie|1309461227|2959291 said:
it looks like a pretty stone :sun:

ovals, pears, marquises, princesses - tend to show body colour unevenly. Your oval will show more tint at the tips and less in the middle, are you okay with that? Will you be okay with that once it's set, if you halo it and the tips contrast more against the melee in your halo than the middle? I think there will be a visible colour difference, yes, especially to one who is looking closely. That said - it may or may not bother you IRL!


vintage - I don't think lower coloured stones in the halo will help - the stones are so tiny, there isn't enough material to concentrate body colour into anything of any significance. The tiny little stones just return light so differently from the larger centre - D/E, H/I/J melee are all going to look like little white dots (discussion in sara's thread https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=144474)
I think that I would be ok with the tips contrasting a little more with the halo. BTW it will be a micro pave halo with a split shank. I was also wondering if maybe there will be less of a contrast if I went with a non-halo setting with sidestones that are 1/6 or 1/10 ct.
If contrast in colour is something you are concerned about I think leaving off the halo can only help.

Something else you might consider is using single cut melee - they are round shaped, cut with fewer facets than usual round stones, so they show more 'life' in contrast, twinkly light return - less of the constant unchanging bright white dot effect that full-cut (regular modern RB) melee have.
Upside - contrast of centrestone and sidestone apparent colour is less of an issue
Downsides - single cuts are pricier, they're often used in antique-y pieces and so may not feel 'in keeping' with the split shank w/ oval centre if you choose a more modern look in detail design and execution, harder to find replacements should you lose a stone (which is really an inevitability in a pave'd piece that gets regular wear).
 

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Nov 22, 2010
Messages
525
Re: Diamond Experts Help- Should I purchase this K Colored O

Ooooohhhh, that's a pretty oval! :) It might have even been one I saw before I bought the one I have and if so it was beauuuutiful!

I have a 3.78 carat Marquis/ rose cut and it's an L with blue flourescence. Yssie is right, I think ovals and MQs show color unevenly and it shows more in the tips than in the middle. Also one thing I didn't realize about lower color diamonds is that they have a ton of personality and don't show the same color 24/7. In the car it goes greenish--who knows why, tint from windows? Outside you'd swear it was a G. Inside depends on what lighting I am in. I love the look! Totally the right decision for me--and I was unsure about it as I had never really had a lower color diamond. My G looks like a G no matter where I am.
 

prettyyellow2011

Rough_Rock
Joined
May 26, 2011
Messages
6
Re: Diamond Experts Help- Should I purchase this K Colored O

Your Marquis is gorgeous. It looks pretty white for an L although I do see a little yellow at the tips as you pointed out but it's still a beautfil diamond. The oval is really pretty i'm amazed that it has such a small or negligble bow tie. All the other ovals I've seen have much larger bow-ties. I spoke with the dealer and he said that they can set the halo with lower colored diamonds so that there isn't that much of a difference in color with the k color center diamond.


MyDiamondSparkles|1309476200|2959468 said:
Ooooohhhh, that's a pretty oval! :) It might have even been one I saw before I bought the one I have and if so it was beauuuutiful!

I have a 3.78 carat Marquis/ rose cut and it's an L with blue flourescence. Yssie is right, I think ovals and MQs show color unevenly and it shows more in the tips than in the middle. Also one thing I didn't realize about lower color diamonds is that they have a ton of personality and don't show the same color 24/7. In the car it goes greenish--who knows why, tint from windows? Outside you'd swear it was a G. Inside depends on what lighting I am in. I love the look! Totally the right decision for me--and I was unsure about it as I had never really had a lower color diamond. My G looks like a G no matter where I am.
 

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jun 29, 2006
Messages
11,071
Re: Diamond Experts Help- Should I purchase this K Colored O

ooooh I like it!! I love the K color too!
 

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
23,949
Re: Diamond Experts Help- Should I purchase this K Colored O

It looks like a great cut and a very lively, sparkly diamond. I like it. :appl:
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,805
Re: Diamond Experts Help- Should I purchase this K Colored O

To be completely honest, I think it will show the color and you will really need to prefer the warmth. I also think the stone is pretty elongated, and I prefer ovals that are a little fatter and less elongated. If you have looked at a lot of ovals, you may prefer this look and that is fine. But I like one with a shape more like this one:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8278/

I just can't tell much about the cut of the K stone from the pictures, either.
 

geisha_gyrl

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jan 21, 2011
Messages
199
Re: Diamond Experts Help- Should I purchase this K Colored O

It is a beautiful oval! :love: (I'm partial to ovals....) I think if you like the warm color or vintage look, go for it! It will be a lovely ring.
 

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 18, 2007
Messages
3,733
Re: Diamond Experts Help- Should I purchase this K Colored O

If you are worried about the warmth, I wouldn't do the halo. Like others said, the little stones just look whiter than bigger stones. I really like the idea of the three stone with the oval. My particular choice would be with slender half moons on each side - such an elegant combination! I will go look for a pic for you.
 

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 18, 2007
Messages
3,733
Re: Diamond Experts Help- Should I purchase this K Colored O

Here's a picture of Kaleigh's beautiful oval and half moon ring - your oval would look gorgeous in this setting!!!

kaleighsovalhalfmooon.jpg
 

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Nov 22, 2010
Messages
525
Re: Diamond Experts Help- Should I purchase this K Colored O

prettyyellow2011|1309479345|2959506 said:
Your Marquis is gorgeous. It looks pretty white for an L although I do see a little yellow at the tips as you pointed out but it's still a beautfil diamond. The oval is really pretty i'm amazed that it has such a small or negligble bow tie. All the other ovals I've seen have much larger bow-ties. I spoke with the dealer and he said that they can set the halo with lower colored diamonds so that there isn't that much of a difference in color with the k color center diamond.


MyDiamondSparkles|1309476200|2959468 said:
Ooooohhhh, that's a pretty oval! :) It might have even been one I saw before I bought the one I have and if so it was beauuuutiful!

I have a 3.78 carat Marquis/ rose cut and it's an L with blue flourescence. Yssie is right, I think ovals and MQs show color unevenly and it shows more in the tips than in the middle. Also one thing I didn't realize about lower color diamonds is that they have a ton of personality and don't show the same color 24/7. In the car it goes greenish--who knows why, tint from windows? Outside you'd swear it was a G. Inside depends on what lighting I am in. I love the look! Totally the right decision for me--and I was unsure about it as I had never really had a lower color diamond. My G looks like a G no matter where I am.
Thanks for the compliments, Prettyyellow. Have you seen the diamond you are considering in person?

The search function is being wierd and doens't work as well as it used to, but does anyone know where LGK's post is about her french cut diamond new setting? Her diamond is a lower color, I think an M, but she chose lower color side stones--not a halo, but you will kind of get an idea of how the lower color side diamonds affect the center stone--anyway her new ring is really is beautiful.
 

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 14, 2009
Messages
20,748
Re: Diamond Experts Help- Should I purchase this K Colored O

prettyyellow2011|1309479345|2959506 said:
Your Marquis is gorgeous. It looks pretty white for an L although I do see a little yellow at the tips as you pointed out but it's still a beautfil diamond. The oval is really pretty i'm amazed that it has such a small or negligble bow tie. All the other ovals I've seen have much larger bow-ties. I spoke with the dealer and he said that they can set the halo with lower colored diamonds so that there isn't that much of a difference in color with the k color center diamond.
Might provide *marginal* improvement but certainly won't fix the problem, if you are the type to be feel that such an apparent colour difference is a problem, skim Lula's thread I linked earlier to understand why.


MDS - [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/victor-canera-reset-my-3-39-ct-oec-tapered-french-cuts.158320/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/victor-canera-reset-my-3-39-ct-oec-tapered-french-cuts.158320/[/URL]
 

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 19, 2004
Messages
20,845
Re: Diamond Experts Help- Should I purchase this K Colored O

HI:

Gorgeous shape and desirable size. But fancies really need to be viewed in person--nuances and preferences revealed. The K color and the flouro would give me pause--but that is my preference. How do you feel?

cheers--Sharon
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring
    Archduchess Eleonore von Habsburg and Jérôme d’Ambrosio Royal Wedding
    Archduchess Eleonore von Habsburg and Jérôme d’Ambrosio Royal Wedding
    August Birthstone 2020: Peridot
    August Birthstone 2020: Peridot

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top