shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond earring stud option

jz112896

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am currently shopping my first pair of diamond earring on WF. Probably I will pick up a pair of 1.5tcw with ACA selection. Color will be either I or J color and claritySI1-SI2.
My question is
1. Since those two color Has some yellowish, should I choose yellow gold setting instead of white gold?
2. Should I choose 3 prong to expose more sparkle or stay with 4 prong to have more secure for the stone?
3.Based on that size, will SI1 be a better option than SI2?

Thanks.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a pair of Whiteflash ACAs (small than what you're considering, only 1.10ctw) which were set in white gold martini settings. They are now set into a ring, and are very white. As studs they looked SUPER white! I couldn't see any tint in them when wearing them as studs.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For earrings, I would not change the color of metal due to the color of the stones. Someone looking at you probably wont even be able
to see the metal in your earrings. If you like white gold then go with white gold ...same goes for yellow gold.

I would stick with 4 prong, or more, baskets (not due to safety though). There have been several PSers that have had problems
with the 3 prongs causing their earring holes to grow. WF can do nice small prongs...it wont hurt the sparkle factor.

As far as inclusions (SI1/Si2), it really depends on the inclusion. If it were a relatively eye-clean SI2 which would allow me to go
for a bigger size, I personally would be fine with it. With earrings, other people cant really view them up close because they
would have to have their face up in your business/hair. Just not likely to happen. I have to say, a lot of PSers would stick with
SI1s though. I dont think WF ever has a lot of SI2s for sale. I dont think I've seen many so there is a good chance you'll be at
SI1 anyway.

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
I recently got a pair of diamond studs for my fiance so I've explored many of the things you're asking.

1) Choose the setting color you want. No need to match the stone since your skin color, hair, oil will have all kinds of impact on color anyway.

2) I don't think 3 or 4 prong impacts sparkle - more size. The 3 prong martini setting will make the stone look very slightly larger, and in my opinion it's more stylish. Having said that, you can't go wrong with the 4 prong basket either which is timeless. I ultimately went with the 4 prong - not because of looks but because 3 prong martinis tend to slip closer to the ear (which causes discomfort in many people) whereas the 4 prong will sit more comfortably since the basket is flush.

3) Generally speaking, SI2 should be ok for earrings (in my opinion at least, I'm sure most people on PS will disagree), but based on the size you're going for I'd stick with SI1 to be safe.

4) You haven't mentioned it in your post but think about the backings as well - in my opinion protektor is the best and worth the premium (these come standard on Blue Nile studs).

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Those are the same links.

There's a huge price difference 1.5tcw and 1.8tcw. Apples to oranges. I think 1.4-1.5 tcw is a good size for the average sized ear. It's large enough to be noticed but small enough that you're not overly blinged out (ie: fancy dinner earrings). 1.8 tcw could work for someone with a larger ear (or if they just like to bling out in general).

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 1.4ctw from blue Nile and I have small lobes (less real estate as we say), so I thought for sure 1.4 might be even a little on the big side for me.

Nope. Lol. I want bigger and am stuck for the second time with Blue Nile’s Upgrade policy (first with my asscher and second with my studs).

I think whatever size you go with, check the upgrade policy. In my experience upgrade policies are more important than you may originally think they are: white flash likely has the better policy over your local jeweler.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2A2CC2A5-A980-471D-B5CF-836F32F82AA4.jpeg
9D334365-36C9-40FB-956C-ADBC8F21C733.jpeg

Pics of .70 with jacket on my daughter’s ear and then
I added super idea Brian Gavin cushion shaped jackets.

We have a thread on show me the bling called something like show me your studs so you can see different sizes on different lobes.

ETA: I had 3 prong martinis and had to reset to a basket since 3 prong martinis do not work with jackets. So if you think you might add jackets later, do a 4 prong basket.

jz112896

Rough_Rock

We have a thread on show me the bling called something like show me your studs so you can see different sizes on different lobes.

ETA: I had 3 prong martinis and had to reset to a basket since 3 prong martinis do not work with jackets. So if you think you might add jackets later, do a 4 prong basket.

It looks gorgeous on your daughter. I read that thread many times. I tried 0.6 ctw, 1 ctw and 1.5 ctw at hearts on fire. They said they have the best cut which I believe. I have a wedding band from them and another one from cattier. The one from HOF definitely look more sparkle.
Anyway, I have an average ear lobe. 1ctw pair looks perfect on me not too small. 1.5 ctw looks a little bit bigger but I still can handle it. I think this will be my forever piece and I won’t upgrade it in the future. So I prefer is no smaller than 1.5 ctw.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks gorgeous on your daughter. I read that thread many times. I tried 0.6 ctw, 1 ctw and 1.5 ctw at hearts on fire. They said they have the best cut which I believe. I have a wedding band from them and another one from cattier. The one from HOF definitely look more sparkle.
Anyway, I have an average ear lobe. 1ctw pair looks perfect on me not too small. 1.5 ctw looks a little bit bigger but I still can handle it. I think this will be my forever piece and I won’t upgrade it in the future. So I prefer is no smaller than 1.5 ctw.

I’m with you on the no smaller than 1.5. We call hearts on Fire Wallets on Fire ;)2:mrgreen:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So far, I like WF pair #2 the best.

As an aside, Brian Gavin has 15% off studs today— Nevermind it ended yesterday but is still on the website in case they extended it.

jz112896

Rough_Rock
So far, I like WF pair #2 the best.

As an aside, Brian Gavin has 15% off studs today— Nevermind it ended yesterday but is still on the website in case they extended it.

I heard many good things about BG. But I don’t know which place has better stone.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I heard many good things about BG. But I don’t know which place has better stone.

It would be based on personal preference at that point.

jz112896

Rough_Rock
Which pair will you choose if it’s for a long-term piece? BG has a better price but smaller tcw. WF has a bigger size option. I believe both of them will be sparkle. Also, should I have the set with them or I should go to my local store to set them on. It’s my first time to deal with customized piece.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which pair will you choose if it’s for a long-term piece? BG has a better price but smaller tcw. WF has a bigger size option. I believe both of them will be sparkle. Also, should I have the set with them or I should go to my local store to set them on. It’s my first time to deal with customized piece.

From what you have written, I’d go bigger, and have them set into 4 prong baskets. Imo. I think you can’t go wrong with either. Have WF set them... should only be about $400 maybe??? Guessing.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey, OP, just fyi, Brian Gavin is the architect of the ACA’s at WF. He and his wife Lesley worked at WF. So his Signature Series has to be comparable. I have worked with Lesley many times on studs for my daughter and wife so I would call her. Yes, I am a fanboy of BGD, lets get that out of the way early.

Also on the studs, don’t forget about the backs. My daughter had a pair of the friction backs and she lost one. Next pair had the “LaPousette” backs. You wont lose them with this back. You can ask WF and BGD about them.

Good luck.

OP, one more thing. Take a look at the Fiore jackets on the BGD website. Spoiler alert: they make the diamond experience look bigger! And bigger is better! You might want to reduce the size of the diamonds and buy the jackets also or just buy the jackets and blow everyone away with the size of the studs!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey, OP, just fyi, Brian Gavin is the architect of the ACA’s at WF. He and his wife Lesley worked at WF. So his Signature Series has to be comparable. I have worked with Lesley many times on studs for my daughter and wife so I would call her. Yes, I am a fanboy of BGD, lets get that out of the way early.

Also on the studs, don’t forget about the backs. My daughter had a pair of the friction backs and she lost one. Next pair had the “LaPousette” backs. You wont lose them with this back. You can ask WF and BGD about them.

Good luck.

OP, one more thing. Take a look at the Fiore jackets on the BGD website. Spoiler alert: they make the diamond experience look bigger! And bigger is better! You might want to reduce the size of the diamonds and buy the jackets also or just buy the jackets and blow everyone away with the size of the studs!

Yes, Lesley is wonderful (I have only interacted with Brian through Lesley, so have never spoken with him). I love her. I have done business with BG and I recommend them. I’m not sure the sale was still going on and if that made a difference in price to OP.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock

Hi @whitewave I'm scouring earring threads as I'm working on a stud project. Do you know if 6 prongs will still work with jackets? I plan on having drops and jackets made. I'm leaning towards 6 prongs. I've had and loved 4 prongs for years but looking for a change. I love the 3 prong but am worried about the odd number of prongs. Your cushion bgd jackets are just glorious! I know you're going through a lot so no pressure if you're not up to responding. Been thinking about you and am sending you hugs.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @whitewave I'm scouring earring threads as I'm working on a stud project. Do you know if 6 prongs will still work with jackets? I plan on having drops and jackets made. I'm leaning towards 6 prongs. I've had and loved 4 prongs for years but looking for a change. I love the 3 prong but am worried about the odd number of prongs. Your cushion bgd jackets are just glorious! I know you're going through a lot so no pressure if you're not up to responding. Been thinking about you and am sending you hugs.

I just don’t know. I want to say probably, but that is just my guess, sorry.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results