shape
carat
color
clarity

DIAMOND DISTRICTS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CANOPENER

Rough_Rock
I am planning to shop in the Los Angeles Diamond district for a loose diamond for a setting I have already purchased. I've been there before, but there are hundreds of vendors covering several blocks making it difficult to evaluate and choose a reputable vendor. I am confident I can find a good deal, but where can I start? What advice, other than the 4-c's, would one have shopping in these districts? I've talked to some vendors ther encouraging me to purchase uncertified diamonds promising me a much better value over certified (they will offer a certified if you request). From what I learned, this website recommends EGA and GIA certifications and to avoid uncertified diamonds. Any recommendations?
thx

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A fifth "C" is total CONFIDENCE.Familiarize yourself with the tactics used in by high pressure salespeople. If you get the feeling they are going for the "close" before you feel comfortable, don't make the deal. Say, "Well, thanks. I would really need to think about this big purchase before I decide" "I'm just not ready quite yet."Eventually you will find a low pressure, friendly person who really provides the service, assistance and education you need in order to make a big purchase. Then, with all the knowledge you will have gained by this time, you can feel pretty good about what you are going to buy.You still can ask to have the stone checked out by someone, what the return privileges are, what documentation of weight and quality will be provided (in writing), and what the total amount of money will be for the finished piece. You can even "think about it" for a few hours or a few days if they are straight up folks.Never be afraid to assert yourself in these deals. If you love something, ask, "What's the very best price you could offer me, right now, on this stone?" Or, "Well, I'd love to make this deal, but we are just a bit apart on the numbers. Would you consider sharpening up your pencil on this a bit?" Don't be surprised to get a better price.... PS: This may not work at Tiffany's.
smile.gif
At all costs, enjoy the give and take. Diamonds are not grocery store items. It takes a developed skill in buying to do a good job. There is no better time than now to begin. If you can save money and get exactly what you want, you'll be in good shape.The same advice works very nicely with real estate, too.
------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Canopener
smile.gif
First of all have a look at recommendations StevL and Garry gave in this thread: www.pricescope.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000267.html When buying uncertifyed stone you can save some $100-$200 but you still have to make sure that a diamond matched the description.Hence you have to show it to independent expert like David Atlas, AGA. Have a look at the list of independent appraisers: www.pricescope.com/appr_list.asp .

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Oh, couple of other things. Basic 4C might not be enough. Take a look at the cut related parts of the tutorial here.EGL: considered less strict in the trade than GIA or AGS.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
I doubt that many people get the "deal" in those districts that they think they get. If you get ripped off, those people could disappear or just refuse to honor your return. There are no free lunches and you usually get what you pay for.You would be much safer buying from somewhere reputable online or in a good brick and mortar store. Look for diamonds with GIA and AGS certs. If you buy in a place like the jewelry district, you must get, in writing, a good return policy so you can take the stone to a good independent appraiser (one who does not sell diamonds) who will tell you what you are actually buying. Go to an appraiser with a sarin machine and you can run the angles through the cut adviser for a general idea of how the diamond you bought compares with those online as well as comparing the prices to help evaluate how well you did.My 2 cents.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Lawmax, I have a feeling that prices in the brick-n-mortar stores get lower and become comparable with the web prices...I guess it might be a good idea to shop around and see different diamonds and compare prices. However, you're absolutely right about written return/exchange policy. At any rate, DON'T RUSH with any "great deal". Be aware that sales people are much more experienced and know how to sell. Go only with those who you feel comfortable with and knowledgeable enough.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results