shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Cutter International DCI

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

konamonroe

Rough_Rock
I will get an 3rd party appraisal, I know that I paid a premium for the "bonded" diamond, and that is cool with me. But if that premium is 5k then I guess I got screwed which ain't that cool.... Has anyone heard of DCI produces false reports for potential customers??? I know that the megascope and sarin reports are set to the owners preferences. This whole diamond buying racket is one big f-up. Is there ever going to be an unbaised lab or agency that prices and grades diamonds.

Thanks for the input

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
This whole diamond buying racket is one big f-up.
-----------

Actually, the experience can be quite pleasant and gratifying. Like anything else, it usually depends on who you're dealing with.

-----------
Is there ever going to be an unbaised lab or agency that prices and
grades diamonds.
-----------

There are several labs which grade diamonds on an unbiased basis (GIA & AGS stand out as two of the most credible), along with many appraisal agencies which not only grade but price diamonds on an unbiased basis. You'll find dozens listed in PriceScope's list of appraisers.

All you need to do to attain peace of mind is have a professional independent or objective appraiser look at your diamond for you. If it checks out as represented and is a fair price, great. If not, just take advantage of the return policy.

It's that simple.

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 2/29/2004 8:50:11 PM konamonroe wrote:

I will get an 3rd party appraisal, I know that I paid a premium for the 'bonded' diamond, and that is cool with me. But if that premium is 5k then I guess I got screwed which ain't that cool.... Has anyone heard of DCI produces false reports for potential customers??? I know that the megascope and sarin reports are set to the owners preferences. This whole diamond buying racket is one big f-up. Is there ever going to be an unbaised lab or agency that prices and grades diamonds.

Thanks for the input
----------------

Hi konamonroe
In terms of Sarin/Ogi reports, while you are able to create custom reports and layouts, the critical measurement data cannot be tampered with or altered. The .srn file of Sarin cannot be edited.
Johan

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 2/29/2004 8:50:11 PM konamonroe wrote:

This whole diamond buying racket is one big f-up. Is there ever going to be an unbaised lab or agency that prices and grades diamonds.

Thanks for the input
----------------

In some ways no, the labs work for the industry and if they grade too harshly they will not be used.
That said I don’t see them judging diamonds differently for different clients.
In other words when comparing diamonds ags and gia certs are good tools for comparing diamonds against each other but they might not get the same results 10 years down the road.
Several experts have said that some of today’s si's are 10 years ago i's and so forth up the chain.

Which brings us to independent appraisers note the "independent" if they sell diamonds and try and talk you into theirs run.
They are paid by consumers and work for consumers but they are part of the industry also and grade to industry standards.
One that grades off on a consistent basis from the industry wont be in business for long.

Which brings us to tools such as sarin, b-scope and others.
The accuracy of any tool is 99% setup and calibration and proper usage.

Which brings us to price the industry as a whole is not geared to providing good prices based on supply and demand.
Pricing is based on marketing but the margins thanks to increased competition of the internet and mega stores has come down in a lot of cases to a more reasonable number.
The days of automatic 100% mark ups is about over.

So as you can see there isn’t a yes/no answer to your question.

konamonroe

Rough_Rock
How can you say that ags and GIA are inbaised, don't dealers and customer pay them to grade diamonds, if the don't want to lose a big client they will make soft grades. THis is what I am talking about.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually GIA and AGS are two of the most strict labs out there. GIA is a non-profit organization I believe, and will grade anything that someone sends in, even consumers can have their stones graded with GIA. AGS does not allow consumer grading requests I believe.

Neither lab does APPRAISALS as well....IGI and EGL do their own appraisals, which to me is like the hand feeding the mouth. Appraisals is where the $$$ is. GIA and AGS don't dictate worth of what they grade...which to me is more independent. They let the market value the stones.

GIA and AGS have no reason to 'soft grade' anything, they are both very well established labs and will continue on regardless. If someone wants a 'soft grade' they will send to IGI or EGL.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 3/1/2004 3:16:02 PM konamonroe wrote:

How can you say that ags and GIA are inbaised, don't dealers and customer pay them to grade diamonds, if the don't want to lose a big client they will make soft grades. THis is what I am talking about.

----------------

Wont happen they have way too much to lose for too little to gain.
Not only would they lose the business of the rest of their clients the US based labs could face anti-trust and or rico lawsuits.
Not to mention the FTC giving them a headache and a half.

They can always open there own labs or go to egl or any of the softer labs if they want a better grade.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Labs grade double blind.

The graders have no knowledge of the stone ownership, and 2 or 3 people grade the stone without knowing the other persons call.
There is an excellent article somewhere on the GIA site explaining the process.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 2/29/2004 10:36:08 AM Greatcall wrote:

BUT I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE SAYING!!!!!!!!!!!!

----------------

Obviously!

2.gif

Come back when you have a clue, eh?
9.gif
12.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 3/2/2004 10:36:42 AM Cut Nut wrote:

Labs grade double blind.

The graders have no knowledge of the stone ownership, and 2 or 3 people grade the stone without knowing the other persons call.

----------------

Garry is correct. The top labs are very protective of their reputations. While they could conceivably get some extra business by "fudging" grades for select clients, it would get out eventually and the uproar would be tremendous. They would be out of business in weeks. The unscrupulous vendors might send them more stones, but most would avoid them and the value of a stone graded by that lab would plummet. Brokers holding large stocks of those stones might go out of business as well; they would blame the lab and rightfully so.

GIA and AGS graded stones cost more because their grades are the most trusted. Both organizations have been around for 70+ years. Why would they want to risk everything for a little extra income?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results