shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond cut: fat ovals issues? Light performance? Bow tie?

april4

Rough_Rock
I love the idea of a fat, almost round oval. They are hard to find though. Does being fat (wide) affect the severity of the bow tie effect or is it unrelated? Is there any information on this out there? Is there any known source for fat ovals?

Is there any other issue or downside to cutting an oval so wide as to be almost round?

Thank you!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: Diamond cut: fat ovals issues? Light performance? Bow ti

They are not common because the cutter would get more money cutting the rough into a round in most cases.
Properly cut they are awesome and actually have fewer issues with bow ties than narrower stones.
Finding one, your best bet would to be select a vendor who provides images IS/ASET and regular pictures at a min. and set them to hunting.
Video is also nice for ovals to see the overall light return behavior.
Make sure the vendor has a return policy in case you don't love it in person.

I love fat ovals that are just oval enough to not look round, so I know where you are coming from wanting one.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

We call them "Roval"- combination of round and oval- and they can be VERY pretty.
The bow tie effect is not really related directly to how wide the oval is, more to issues like depth and facet placement and pattern.

The main downside is perceived - that people will gravitate towards more towards a "traditional" shaped oval- but I don't share that disdain, I love Rovals.

Information: Unfortunately, much of what's out there, in terms of information, is positioned as "rules" when in fact, it's opinions.
So my advice is not to try and figure out specifics like table depth etc, and instead put the effort into choosing a dealer who will show you stones, and explain how these numbers relate.

april4

Rough_Rock

Thank you, Karl and Rockdiamond!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Rockdiamond|1312318885|2982555 said:
We call them "Roval"- combination of round and oval
I learned something new today.
Is that an industry wide term?
Thanks David.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

You're welcome April!
Karl_K said:
Rockdiamond|1312318885|2982555 said:
We call them "Roval"- combination of round and oval
I learned something new today.
Is that an industry wide term?
Thanks David.

My pleasure Karl- I've learned a lot from your posts over the years too.

We used the term at M Fabrikant back in the '80's- but I've not really heard it used since.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results