shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Cluster Ring Remake with Demantoids from Yvonne

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My latest ring arrived and I think I'm in trouble, lol. It's been awhile since I've been this entranced with a colored stone that wasn't a paraiba, mahenge spinel or cobalt spinel. Last thing I need is another obsession :)

The setting was a diamond cluster ring I bought preloved from vickygigi on LT. From the start, my intent was to replace the center diamonds with colored stones. I wasn't sure what but felt the 3.7-4mm size would be perfect for adding something to my CS collection that I would not be able to afford in larger sizes.

Before:

original diamond cluster ring.jpg

I have always been fascinated reading about Russian demantoids and their horestail inclusings...but never thought the color was for me. But after seeing OTL's killer demantoid ring and reading Yvonne's description of apple green demantoids she picked up in Tucson, I thought they might be a good option for my cluster setting.

So I sent the ring to Yvonne to see what she could find at JCK. I thought it was a bust when she told me "no luck" pm demantoids. Much to my surprise a day or so later, I get a message asking if "low heat" was okay followed by so-so pictures but noting "phenomenal stuff..top of the line". I do trust her eye on color so pulled the trigger.

I was thrilled as soon as I saw the pictures of them set and when the ring arrived, I was completely blown away. Pictures do NOT do these stones justice. The stones look like a top color emerald/tsavorite with fire of a diamond. Deep bright intense green. No yellow modifier although it may look that way in pictures for some reason (light dispersion?). When I sent a note to Yvonne that the end product is everything I wanted and more when I first purchased the setting, she responded "Yes...I knew I had this right! The color is INSANE". Yup, I agree...INSANE :)

After:

demaintoidindoors.jpg demantoidring.jpg demantoidring1.jpg demantoidring2.jpg demantoidring4.jpg

demaintoidring.jpg

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh it's bloody gorgeous!!!! Mind my language!

What size are the demontoids? I've itty bitty 3mm ones from Yvonne and the dispersion is something else.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lol...flattered by the language so ty.

I don't know the size...didn't even ask :sleep: The diamonds were 3.7-4mm so I assume around that size.

Did you get the unheated apple green ones or the low heat ones like these? (I bought a pair of 3mm apple green but haven't seen them as she's holding them for another project).

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
lol...flattered by the language so ty.

I don't know the size...didn't even ask :sleep: The diamonds were 3.7-4mm so I assume around that size.

Did you get the unheated apple green ones or the low heat ones like these? (I bought a pair of 3mm apple green but haven't seen them as she's holding them for another project).

I got the unheated ones.. I'll attach a pic if i can find a good one! I think she used the same pic from the batch I got for the new listings (new ones are heated). Can't say for sure but mine might be lighter then yours....

Ok found a pic. Demontoids are the smaller ones. The bigger greens are melarani mints, I don't know why they're coming out a bit of a weird colour.

Screenshot_20170625-003710.png

Oh and sorry all my loose gems are so dirty. Never cleaned them I don't think I ever will because I'm too scared! I touch them a fair amount though with my grubby hands :shifty:

Last edited:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my god! That ring is freaking amazing. Putting colored gems in there was inspired! :love:

The dementoid garnets look gorgeous. I bought some of the 1.7mm melee sizes and based on the color, they are easy to obsess over. I'm jealous of your bigger ones. ;-):lol-2::mrgreen:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful theredspinel! I think the apple greens are a bit lighter but it's so hard to tell from pictures. What are your plans?

Elle - looking to see how you use your melee..could use some ideas on color combinations for my 3mm pair.

Last edited:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Just Wow! That gorgeous ring will be turning heads in every room. :love:

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful theredspinel! I think the apple greens are a bit lighter but it's so hard to tell from pictures. What are your plans?

Elle - looking to see how you use your melee..could use some ideas on color combinations for my 3mm pair.

I'm planning dangly earrings with Tahitians! The mints really are a match with the demontoids, they are the same green just less dispersive. Don't know why they have come out a weird colour in that pic! And the tiny yellow diamonds (with no hint of brown in real life) will be thrown in there too!

Just had a thought, have I broken social etiquette by posting my pic on your reveal thread?? So sorry if I have I'm rubbish at this stuff!

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Omg I LOVE the coloured stones in the ring- much more so than with diamonds alone!! The contrast between them is stunning! What a great idea!

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That ring! Such character now with the demantoid garnets! Love it!

Muhammad_Ali

Rough_Rock
Super clean demantoids. Wonderful ring!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what gorgeous color! Are they Russian? Would be interesting to see some macro shots of the horse tails, those are such fascinating inclusions. :)

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your ring is just beautiful! I had been going backwards and forwards about buying some of her demantoids and this colour is absolutely perfect! You may just have pushed me into action.....

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Amazing vision, by the way. The ring looks so much better with coloured stone centres!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous ring!!! I love the reset as the contrast is so amazing with the demantoids. Great vision: indeed an insane result!!!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful color! I love how the ring is totally transformed. It looks so pretty on your hand!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you LisaRN, lissyflo, MissBeaucop, mochiko, Acinom, Burmesedaze, Crystal_Dreams and Muhammed_Ali!

Glad you think the color on these are as amazing as I do.

Yes, they are Russian from the Ural Mountains. Yvonne mentioned that her lab was very excited about this batch...taking pictures of the horsetail inclusions, etc. I think she posted some pictures but I will see if I can figure out how to take some.

The cluster ring was nicer than the picture (I never took a good before picture as I knew I was dismantling it). But it wasn't something I needed/wanted. I often look for inexpensive preloved settings as it helps me keep project costs affordable. Now I have the center diamonds for a future project :)

And theredspinel - I love sharing the excitement by hearing what others are doing with their similar purchases. Looking forward to your earring project :)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mo: only you could pull off buying a setting first and then retrofitting it for demantoids of all stones! I mean really, how could you have possibly found stones that match and fit so perfectly in the setting?!!

Absolutely stunning! Whereas I wouldn't likely have even noticed the ring before, now with the demantoids you can see it from across the room. Beautiful and very, very well done.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you minous but it was just my idea and I have to give credit to Yvonne for finding the stones and making it a reality. I am probably weird that a lot of my projects start with the setting first.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you LisaRN, lissyflo, MissBeaucop, mochiko, Acinom, Burmesedaze, Crystal_Dreams and Muhammed_Ali!

Glad you think the color on these are as amazing as I do.

Yes, they are Russian from the Ural Mountains. Yvonne mentioned that her lab was very excited about this batch...taking pictures of the horsetail inclusions, etc. I think she posted some pictures but I will see if I can figure out how to take some.

The cluster ring was nicer than the picture (I never took a good before picture as I knew I was dismantling it). But it wasn't something I needed/wanted. I often look for inexpensive preloved settings as it helps me keep project costs affordable. Now I have the center diamonds for a future project :)

And theredspinel - I love sharing the excitement by hearing what others are doing with their similar purchases. Looking forward to your earring project :)

Yvonne saw this thread and she kindly sent me some more photos of the horsetails that her lab took under the microscope. They were incredible! I know they are called horsetails but they remind me of pine needles! I have asked her if I could repost them here and if she agrees I will share them.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring is gorgeous! The stones, top of the line!

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
The stones pop and are such a yummy green! Wear them in health

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lilmosun, I stumbled across an old thread of yours where you had 3 rings from Yvonne! It made me realise you must have such an awesome goodies collection now, can I ask for a whole family pic please?!!!

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You can't get greener than that! Gorgeous! Wow!!:love:

Debbie K

Rough_Rock
Trade
So pretty! Fantastic color. I wondered it the low heat would affect the horse-tail inclusions, but evidently not. I look forward to photos of those, also, if you get permission from her to post them.

Debbie K

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's been awhile since I've been this entranced with a colored stone that wasn't a paraiba ... or cobalt spinel, [yet] apple green demantoids

Would you put those particular blues & greens together ?

[ you have a sampler of some finest colors ! ]

Reactions: AV_

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yvonne permitted me to post these photos taken by her lab. The horse tails were photographed under microscope and the hand shot is of a demantoid with 2 tsavorites (in case anyone was interested to compare the color). FYI these aren't of lilmosun's stones but of other demantoids that aren't yet listed for sale.

icm_fullxfull.124063286_lu4wahgl0sgw8oc484k0.jpg icm_fullxfull.124063256_degnhzk25psss8go4ow8.jpg icm_fullxfull.128255601_b234z9ccf7k004w8skkc.jpg icm_fullxfull.128255897_sa0f5mhmd68ookwkwcoc.jpg

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yvonne permitted me to post these photos taken by her lab. The horse tails were photographed under microscope and the hand shot is of a demantoid with 2 tsavorites (in case anyone was interested to compare the color). FYI these aren't of lilmosun's stones but of other demantoids that aren't yet listed for sale.

icm_fullxfull.124063286_lu4wahgl0sgw8oc484k0.jpg icm_fullxfull.124063256_degnhzk25psss8go4ow8.jpg icm_fullxfull.128255601_b234z9ccf7k004w8skkc.jpg icm_fullxfull.128255897_sa0f5mhmd68ookwkwcoc.jpg

So cool! Yvonne said one of mine has the inclusions but she wasn't sure about the other (I think - let me check).

Edited to add: oh she said she saw them on both but obviously just her opinion and not a lab. I trust her!

Last edited:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
trs: have you tried louping them? Oftentimes they are fairly easy to see with a loupe.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
trs: have you tried louping them? Oftentimes they are fairly easy to see with a loupe.

Do you know I still haven't gotten around to buying a loupe!!! :wall:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results