shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Clarity SI2

Sophie

Rough_Rock
Hi, Im new to this but hoping you guys can give me some advice. My partner and I recently went engagement ring shopping and bought a 0.58 VS2 colour H solitaire ring. However the cut of the ring meant it had a really large table and didnt sparkle (we didnt know this would be the case at the time) It also looked quite yellow to me (I gazed at it a lot lol!)

We returned to the jewellers and they agreed to change the ring for us. We chose a 0.56 in a much much better cut (its really sparkly) in a colour E, SI2. Now I dont know a massive amount about diamond buying although after our first purchase I did read up on the 4 C's but I thought an SI2 would be ok. However since chosing our new diamond i have read very mixed reviews on an SI2 Clarity and am now really worried. Some websites say there will be no inclusions visable to the unaided eye and others say there will. We did look at the diamond through the loupe but to be honest didnt really know what we were looking for and just wanted to make sure it was super sparkly (we sound so naive)

I was happy with our choice but now worring that when we collect t on Saturday we will be able to see loads of inclusions (and I know I will examine it)

I was going to call the jeweller today and voice my concerns and ask if he can confirm whether there are inclusions visable without the loupe or not but thought I'd see what advice I could get from you guys first.

Thanks in advance!!!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Diamond Clarit SI2

There can be eye-clean SI2 stone, just much rarer, but at the size you are looking at chances are higher than larger stones that it will be eye-clean. Also, which lab graded the stone?

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock

There's really no way to know without asking the vendor and/or seeing it yourself. Even the inclusion plot wouldn't tell you 100% if it is or isn't eyeclean. I would call the vendor and ask him...how close did you look when you saw it?

Sophie

Rough_Rock

Im not sure which lab. We looked at it through the loupe but didnt really know what to look for.

I was more concerned about getting one that was sparkly with no yellow in it.

It is a round brilliant diamond and will be in a 4 prong platinum setting if this is of any importance when it comes to clarity??

I just want it to look nice and clean to me on a day to day basis.......

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Call and ask which lab issued the report on the diamond. Then go look at it again to confirm it is eye clean to your standards. Take it into lots of lighting.

What is the cut grade on the lab report?

An H should not look yellow so I suspect the original stone did not come with a reputable lab report. If this one does not come with a GIA or AGS lab report I would not buy it either.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1315424916|3011931 said:
Call and ask which lab issued the report on the diamond. Then go look at it again to confirm it is eye clean to your standards. Take it into lots of lighting.

What is the cut grade on the lab report?

An H should not look yellow so I suspect the original stone did not come with a reputable lab report. If this one does not come with a GIA or AGS lab report I would not buy it either.

This is so true. If the H looked pretty yellow to you I wonder if it were graded soft by a lab such as EGL and those would have been graded I-J-K or lower by AGS or GIA. I have a feeling that this stone you now took will also have a grading report from the same lab.

With that said- I have NO issue with a SI2 stone- I own a 1.55 D SI2 stone and it's eyeclean!! I see inclusions from the side, but not looking dwon for the top. So inspect it in various lighting -by the window in natural lighting, cup your hand over the stone, in store lighting etc- and if you can't see inclusions and is eyeclean to you- then yes! :bigsmile:

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to add that I have an eye clean SI2 also.

Hope you keep searching and find the right stone for your preferences.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
ChloeTheGreat|1315443122|3012177 said:
I just wanted to add that I have an eye clean SI2 also.

Hope you keep searching and find the right stone for your preferences.

Power to the eyeclean SI2s :bigsmile:

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
There are eye clean SI2, but you probably have to be patient. If it works for you, you may also accept inclusions that are visible but can be hidden under a prong.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
An SI2 can be eye-clean or not. I wonder who graded your diamond. I would want a GIA or AGS report. The lighting in jewelry stores is designed to make a diamond look as good as possible. I would hate for you to be disappointed in your diamond in normal lighting conditions. Before taking possession of it, try to view it in other lighting conditions, especially northern daylight.

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
my pendant is eyeclean I/SI2 ,it is white & sparkly .

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Labs' (GIA, AGS...) clarity grading tells you absolutely nothing about visibility and offensiveness of inclusions IRL with the naked eye
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/clarity-grading-question.154174/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/clarity-grading-question.154174/[/URL]

That's a small enough stone that an eyeclean SI2 would not be a needle in a haystack, even to someone w/ excellent close-range vision and nitpicky standards.. but whether that stone meets your specifications is something only you can answer!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1315540684|3013282 said:
Labs' (GIA, AGS...) clarity grading tells you absolutely nothing about visibility and offensiveness of inclusions IRL with the naked eye
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/clarity-grading-question.154174/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/clarity-grading-question.154174/[/URL]

That's a small enough stone that an eyeclean SI2 would not be a needle in a haystack, even to someone w/ excellent close-range vision and nitpicky standards.. but whether that stone meets your specifications is something only you can answer!

Agreed. You have to determine your standards for cut, clarity, color.... And what ultimately is the right stone for you. For me: eyeclean SI2 or better from 6 inches, excellent-ideal cut!!! And colorless although color I would go to GHI for the right carat size but if budget allows a good carat size in F or better that's mine!! Lol

So really go out an look around an determine your non-negotiables.

Sophie

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for your advice.

We are going to collect the ring tomorrow so I will let you know how I get on!

Fingers crossed it will be beautiful :))

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sophie|1315597621|3013827 said:
Thanks so much for your advice.

We are going to collect the ring tomorrow so I will let you know how I get on!

Fingers crossed it will be beautiful :))

excited to hear how it looks!

Sophie

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to say thanks guys for all your help!

We collected my ring today and the SI2 is definately eye clean. The jeweller showed us the small inclusion under the loupe and to be honest, It is so close to the prong, I genuinley couldnt see it! it looks beautiful! :))

You were right tho, my previous diamond was graded by the British Gem Institute which may have made a difference. My sparkly new one is by GIA - colour E, 0.57 carat, very good cut and very good symmetry - much much better!

Again, Thank you so much! x

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Sophie|1315668769|3014396 said:
Just wanted to say thanks guys for all your help!

We collected my ring today and the SI2 is definately eye clean. The jeweller showed us the small inclusion under the loupe and to be honest, It is so close to the prong, I genuinley couldnt see it! it looks beautiful! :))

You were right tho, my previous diamond was graded by the British Gem Institute which may have made a difference. My sparkly new one is by GIA - colour E, 0.57 carat, very good cut and very good symmetry - much much better!

Again, Thank you so much! x

Can't wait to see hand shots!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results