shape
carat
color
clarity

diamond chipped during setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jaxteach77

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your advise RockDoc. We purchased the ring at Jared.

Ideally, my best solution if possible after speaking to the appraiser, would be to have the chip polished and keep my original stone. There is engraving on 3 sides of the girdle so I can''t have that compromised. If it is possible to have the chip polished and not decrease the value too much, that is what will make me happy. I would expect for Jared to pay for the labor required, the cost of having the stone recertified by GIA and any further appraisal costs I incur due to their error.

When the manager initially offered a replacement stone, I asked about having the stone polished or even re-cut. Even though replacement was our "only option" the manager dimissed my request because it didn''t make sense to him to do that. Hopefully this will be an option open to me as I go forward.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2007 8:18:17 PM
Author: jaxteach77

Ideally, my best solution if possible after speaking to the appraiser, would be to have the chip polished and keep my original stone. There is engraving on 3 sides of the girdle so I can''t have that compromised. If it is possible to have the chip polished and not decrease the value too much, that is what will make me happy. I would expect for Jared to pay for the labor required, the cost of having the stone recertified by GIA and any further appraisal costs I incur due to their error.

When the manager initially offered a replacement stone, I asked about having the stone polished or even re-cut. Even though replacement was our ''only option'' the manager dimissed my request because it didn''t make sense to him to do that. Hopefully this will be an option open to me as I go forward.

You better add to that "and payment of any value lost to the stone" because it could lose value too. If that will make you happy then it will be worth it to see if the stone can be recut. But I wouldn''t ask the manager there, I would ask a trusted appraiser.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2007 8:18:17 PM

When the manager initially offered a replacement stone, I asked about having the stone polished or even re-cut. Even though replacement was our ''only option'' the manager dimissed my request because it didn''t make sense to him to do that. Hopefully this will be an option open to me as I go forward.
First thing to determine is what the damage is and what would be needed to polish it out WHILE STILL MAINTAINING the Very Good Polish and Symmetry. (If the chip is deep, if you only polish that section the symmetry will probably change. That may require a "minor" recut rather than just polishing. This would depend the direction of the damage and severity of it is.

The laser inscriptions MAY have to be polished off - but they can be re-inscribed by GIA if it was necessary to polish the areas where the inscription(s) are.

I''d see if your appraiser can photograph the damage and post the photos here. While assessing a photo is a bit hard to do accurately, perhaps an opinion can be rendered for you as to the complexity of the repair or if that would be in your best interest.

Rockdoc

He Scores

Shiny_Rock
It doesn''t matter the girdle thickness with regard to chipping. It''s the facet junctions at the 90 degree corners that are so vulnerable inspite of the girdle thickness.

Bill Bray

jaxteach77

Rough_Rock
Just an update on my situation... I went back to the appraiser today. She was not able to photograph the chip because the prongs have been closed over the chip now. So another mistake on my end for having Jared tighten the setting. Apparently no pictures were taken last week when this happened.

The appraiser suggested sending the stone to a diamond cutter to get an opinion on what can be done to save the existing diamond. I''ve contacted Jared corporate (Sterling) and legal and am now waiting on a response.

I wish I had photos of the chip to post so I could get some additional advice. No word from the local Jared store since Friday.

Thank you all again for your advice and well wishes. I''ll post when I find out more information, hopefully good news.

jaxteach77

Rough_Rock
Update... The corporate office is now involved in my situation. When I spoke to the customer relations person last week, she could not understand the decrease in clarity due to the chip (and therefore value). The appraiser stated that the stone is now an I1 downgraded from a VS2. Jared corporate says this is impossible because clarity deals only with "natural inclusions." I was under the impression that clarity pertains to natural inclusions, but also if a stone is chipped it will reflect in the clarity grading. Am I wrong here? Thank you for any clarification on this matter!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2007 10:19:12 PM
Update... The corporate office is now involved in my situation. When I spoke to the customer relations person last week, she could not understand the decrease in clarity due to the chip (and therefore value). The appraiser stated that the stone is now an I1 downgraded from a VS2. Jared corporate says this is impossible because clarity deals only with ''natural inclusions.'' I was under the impression that clarity pertains to natural inclusions, but also if a stone is chipped it will reflect in the clarity grading. Am I wrong here? Thank you for any clarification on this matter!
Nope, your appraiser is right...Jared''s doesn''t know what they are talking about!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Update... The corporate office is now involved in my situation. When I spoke to the customer relations person last week, she could not understand the decrease in clarity due to the chip (and therefore value). The appraiser stated that the stone is now an I1 downgraded from a VS2. Jared corporate says this is impossible because clarity deals only with ''natural inclusions.'' I was under the impression that clarity pertains to natural inclusions, but also if a stone is chipped it will reflect in the clarity grading. Am I wrong here? Thank you for any clarification on this matter!
Nope, your appraiser is right...Jared''s doesn''t know what they are talking about!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2007 10:26:29 PM
Author: kcoursolle

Nope, your appraiser is right...Jared's doesn't know what they are talking about!
What she said.
2.gif

If you would like specifics: Clarity characteristics include both inclusions and blemishes.

Inclusions are enclosed within a diamond or extend into the diamond from its surface. Blemishes are confined to the surface.

Inclusions may result from crystal structure, become part of the diamond during formation, occur during cutting or treatment or occur as a result of damage to the stone. Blemishes can result from crystal structure, occur during cutting or come from setting or wear.

Inclusions are more significant than blemishes.

By GIA's definition a chip is an inclusion; extending into the stone from the surface (as opposed to a totally enclosed inclusion).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How dumb can they possibly be??? Your stone is supposed to stay VS2 even with a chip?

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
So sorry to hear it happened.looks like you are getting lots of great tips here.I have no more to add , but please keep us posted.Keeping my fingers crossed for you..

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock

Ask corporate WHO they have insurance with. Insist on them filing a claim, or you will take legal action.

This is a no brainer. You brought a stone in and it was returned in a different condition. It was in their care. If they want to debate whether the clarity has changed see next paragraph.

If it had a chip before they took it in, the burden of proof is on them, not you. You dossier report doesn''t list a chip, so now if there is one, it is fairly evident that it happened while it was in their possession.

If they don''t understand why or how it could be a different grade, resubmit the stone to GIA for it''s current grading. That will convince them. Make it clear that they should pay for the grading. Maybe that will change their mind about your appraiser''s subsequent report done after the damage occured.

File a complaint with www.ripoffreport.com

If they are going to keep making excuses, you need to consider "this dog has grown enough fur", and get some professional help. TIME is of the essence.

Rockdoc

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Most jewelers self-insure with this sort of thing. I would not expect them to have a policy to file a claim against.

This has advanced to ridiculous. Jared employs some capable gemologists who bloody well know what is and what is not a clarity characteristic. I’m with Rockdoc, it’s time to kick this into a higher gear.

1) You’ve accused them of specific consumer fraud with the alteration of the claim ticket. Did you ever manage to get a copy of the altered? Pay a visit to the local district attorney’s office and file a complaint. This isn’t just poor form or sloppy workmanship, it’s criminal. If your local legal people are like they are around here, I wouldn’t expect great things from them but filing a case will get some attention from the real management types. If you are part of a pattern of complaints they may even advance with it, especially if you''ve got the ''smoking gun''.

2) Many TV stations have consumer protection hotlines to assist with problems people have with local merchants. This sort of story just might interest them. As with the above, even if they don’t put something on the air, a call from the TV station asking for details is likely to get some attention and possibly some results.

3) Get an expert opinion about the recut potential of the stone and a specific, written recommendation about repair. This is important because it leads to valuing your damages and it leads to the end of this story. Your appraiser may be able to do this or she may recommend sending it off to a professional cutter for evaluation. Ask her.

4) Send them a certified letter declaring your intention to get it repaired and your expectation that they still be liable for ALL of the damages including the loss of value to the stone, the direct repair costs, the risks of additional damage that may occur during the repair and resetting process, any needed repairs to the mounting that result in pulling and resetting of the stone and all professional fees incurred during this process including but not limited to legal and appraisal charges. Spell out exactly what you’re asking them to do and give them a deadline to respond. These work best if they are from an attorney. The report from #3 above will be part of this. If they don’t respond within your deadline (they probably won’t), go ahead and get it fixed but don’t have anyone else work on the piece until you’ve done this. Make sure to carefully document what you did, when and why you did it. Keep a file. In particular, don’t have anyone remove the stone from the mounting or start cutting on it until you’ve got a solid paper trail.

There’s a decent chance that this is going to escalate into a legal problem but you don’t want to have a damaged ring the entire time. Lay the groundwork, then just get it fixed. This sort of thing tends to take quite a bit of time and the time tends to eat up your life. Your out of pocket costs here will probably be only a few hundred dollars so far but the budget and the damages are about to go up steeply if they don''t get more responsive. If you can afford it, I would encourage you to prepare yourself to simply pay it and seek reparations from the store as part of a separate action.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Agreed in part Neil.

If Jaxteach has a copy of the altered report and she has a take in receipt that demsonstrates, they did the alteration of the work order, yes JT MIGHT want to consider writing a "demand" letter.

However in FL, if she does not have that evidence, and threatens Jared in any way, it could be termed extortion here. The wording and how it is handled is crucial. I''d strongly suggest JT working with an attorney.

Jaxteach has a GIA report hopefully that does not list a chip as one of the internal characteristics.

Jaxteach also has the appraisal report not indicating a chip the first time it was examined, and before it was set, and the appraiser''s discovery and change of the condition post-setting of the stone.

That would appear to be fairly conclusive evidence in which to support an action. I would think the BURDEN OF PROOF that the chip pre-existed is in Jared side. If their evidence of this is an altered work order, and they are foolish enough to hang their hat on it, they''ll most likely loose any action against them, and if the Court feels its outrageous, then JT would probably be entitled to PUNITIVE DAMAGES in addition to actual damages.

I bring this up as filing a criminal complaint, drastically affects the standard for evidence, and seldom results in any further compensation for all the time and trouble expended. In a Civil, filing the burden of proof is much lower, and the award would be made including legal costs and punitive damages.

The only "benefit" of filing criminally is that the other taxpayers support the legal costs. Add to that the JT may still have to file a Civil Actioin to recoup any financial damage.

However in FL, there would most likely be an ordered mediation, before any trial date is issued by the court.

NOTE: This is not professional legal advice, and JT SHOULD consult with an attorney to get such official advice.

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results