shape
carat
color
clarity

diamond chipped during setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jaxteach77

Rough_Rock
I''ve been lurking on PS for a while researching the diamond for my engagement ring. After much research, we purchased our stone from an online retailer last week. We made the decision to set the stone locally so we would have a B&M to have the setting maintained (sizing, rhodium, repair, etc.). After we received the stone, we took it to our appraiser. The diamond is a GIA certified princess cut .79ct VS2 F. Everything matched up at the appraiser and the appraiser valued the stone at $5500 (which I understand is inflated). Approximately 2 hours after having the stone appraised, we took it to... Jared to have it set. While there, we viewed the stone along with the sales associate. The sales associate was still trying to sell one of their diamonds to us, asking if we had a return policy and actually pulling stones out. She indicated when viewing the stone that she saw "something." We did not and sort of blew her off since she was trying to sell us one of their IGI stones. The sales associate did not make any note of whatever she "saw" on the work order for having the stone set.

We picked up our ring a while later and it seemed that everything was okay. We made a fatal error in not looking at the stone prior to leaving the store. When I took the completed ring to our appraiser the next afternoon, she informed me that the stone had been chipped right between the prongs and the stone was loose in the setting. I did not wear the ring to work that day (I''m a teacher and didn''t feel comfortable wearing it yet) so I''m not sure how the setting would have become loose unless we didn''t notice it earlier. Regardless, the appraiser told us that the clarity would be decreased from VS2 to I2 due to the chip. The appraised value is now $2500. I really don''t know if that is accurate.

We contacted the manager at the Jared store. He could not locate the chip until I showed it to him. The "legal department" told him to offer us a new stone of the same clarity, color and size. We explained that was not an option as we had selected the stone for the cut. He argued with me that the stone was not that great (maybe it''s not) and that every stone with those specs (VS2, F color, very good polish & symmetry)is the same. We left the store having this option available.

I went back this morning to have the setting tightened because I forgot to last night. We have the original work order (customer copy) showing no chips or damage. However, the manager started the morning off by showing me his "original" work order now indicating a chip. He was not happy when I produced my original. Even though he is offering to replace my stone, he denies the chip was caused during the setting. He did not want to tighten my setting unless I signed a general release form.

I don''t feel comfortable in this situation because he is not willing to allow us to have the replacement stone appraised before we agree and if we agree to take a replacement stone, we will have to sign a general release and they will be "through with us."

I appreciate all the information provided on PS. We made the mistake of thinking we could have it set locally to have some sort of maintenance security. I am extremely upset and don''t want my emotions to play to big of a roll in this decision. Should we agree to replace our chipped stone and release the store from all legal recourse without having the replacement appraised?

Thank you for any advice or suggestions!

:)

Brilliant_Rock
WHOA! Do not release them from anything. Did I read you correctly that they ALTERED the work order to show a chip, and you have an original copy of the original work order that does not include what they are showing you? I am sure the lawyers on this board will be along shortly. I would get one of the appraisers on this board that has experience in legal matters such as this involved.

The managers statement "that every stone with those specs (VS2, F color, very good polish & symmetry)is the same" is totally and completely wrong - you obviously already know this because you already mentioned that you guys researched for a long time and that you specifically bought it for the cut. Don't let them push you around - they are taking 'the best defense is a good offense' approach and trying to push you into doing something rash.

So sorry this happened to you.

ETA: They obviously also know about differences in cut or they would allow for the 'replacement stone' to be appraised prior to making everything final.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry, and will leave it to the experts to advise you. Jareds doesn''t have a great reputation on here from what I have read. But that is neither here nor there now. I hope this gets resoved in a satisfactory manner. Don''t settle for a sub par cut princess stone. Ok, letting it go the the experts now... Good luck!!!

jaxteach77

Rough_Rock
Yes... The sales associate called my fiance last night to discuss the matter (she was not there when we spoke to the manager so I assume she got a nasty call at home). When I showed up this morning to have my setting tightened, the manager continued to insist that the chip was present prior to setting. I noticed the newly drawn diagram on the work order and brought up that the work order had been altered since the previous night. I produced my original stating the stone had been examined and there were no chips or other damage.

I really do not want a replacement stone considering they are unwilling to have it appraised beforehand. If someone thinks every .79 VS2 F princess cut diamond is the same... I do not want a replacement stone from them.

richie5120

Rough_Rock
Make a copy of the original then from now on you take the copy to him or anyone else requesting to see it. Do not leave the copy with him or anyone else! Keep the ogirinal locked up in a safe place until needed. They obviously chipped the diamond and are admitting to it by replacing it for you. I would contact an attorney. I''d also ask your appraiser to appraise it as if the chipped didn''t exist along with a value with the chip in it.

btw we too shopped at Jared''s. The prices for their stones were the highest out of everyone we went to. Sales reps were very friendly but diamonds weren''t the best. I''m happy we didn''t buy from Jared''s. Reading posts like yours makes me upset and happy that we won''t be going to Jared''s ever again!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi jaxteach77 and welcome to the PS forum!
35.gif

I feel SOOOO BADLY for you!!!
15.gif

What do you think would be a fair outcome? If Jared were to offer you a stone with a GIA certification, similar cut details, same color/clarity, and same polish/symmetry would you be satisfied?

I would doubt they will give you any money for the stone, although it seems they should. Don''t they have insurance for this type of thing? I can hardly believe they altered the original work order. Is there anything in the fine print about responsibility for damage?

If the manager is uncooperative, you may have to go to the top. Starting now, document everything - who the people are, who said and did what and when, etc. Be prepared because they are obviously unscrupulous.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry this happened, I can imagine you''re quite disappointed. Hold on to your copy of the work order. I''m sure you''ll get some great legal advice from other posters. Just wanted to express my sympathies.

Start building your case! NOW! Document EVERYTHING! And like the previous poster said, take names (also last names). I would be contacting every person of upper management possible and cause a serious rucus about this. This is the worst thing I''ve seen in ages.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Just for your info, here is a link to the BBB record: Jared''s BBB Report.

90 complaints in the last 12 months, even though this is national, is not good. Imagine if these guys were eBay sellers - no one would buy from them with all the negative feedback!

Having dealt with the BBB, I know that "Resolved" can mean administratively closed because of a stalemate. Don''t be misled into thinking "Resolved" means Jared cooperated!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2007 10:58:55 PM
Author: starryeyed
Just for your info, here is a link to the BBB record: Jared''s BBB Report.

90 complaints in the last 12 months, even though this is national, is not good. Imagine if these guys were eBay sellers - no one would buy from them with all the negative feedback!

Having dealt with the BBB, I know that ''Resolved'' can mean administratively closed because of a stalemate. Don''t be misled into thinking ''Resolved'' means Jared cooperated!
Yowza, good detective work.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ugh. I hate that this happened to you! Jared's is completely horrible for treating you like this. A few things to consider:

1. DO NOT leave the original work order with them or even bring it with you for now. I fully support the idea that you should lock it up and bring a copy. If/when you need it, the original will be invaluable and you wouldn't want to bring it to the store and have something "happen" to it.

2. IF they offer you a stone, bring in your certification (which I assume you have?) and tell them they need to match it. Exactly. Tell them since Jared's also sells GIA stones for a major premium, they obviously know the difference in cut and quality. And you expect the exact same thing as what they broke.

3. Insist that they allow the stone to be independently appraised before you accept it.

4. DO NOT ALLOW THEM TO DO ANY MORE WORK!!! Including tightening the setting! If the stone's corner is chipped the integrity of the stone could be compromised and tightening it could result in the stone getting worse. THEN you have no evidence of what they did in the first place.

5. You can certainly threaten to sue (and go through with it!). You have the recent appraisal, the original work order, and the certificate (again assuming). If you get another appraisal in writing stating that the stone is now worth 1/2 as much due to the chip, you should be good to go I think.

Next time you need something locally, find a local store with a good reputation. Most chain jewelers are not known for their fair treatment or good customer service.

Best of luck with this...if you need an expert on here hopefully Rockdoc will chime in. I know he has been a witness multiple times.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is awful! I can''t believe that they altered the work order like that, how shady! I hope that you can get this resolved soon.

jaxteach77

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for your support and advice. I just scanned our work order for additional safe keeping. I''ve told my fiance we need a safe deposit box for this little slip of paper!

I agree that it appears they are admitting guilt by offering to replace the stone even though the manager repeatedly stated point blank that they did not chip the stone. At this point I am not able to trust this person or company for that matter. Why would someone change a document that the customer has a copy of?? Unreal. Providing a replacement stone would seem like the answer, but without an appraisal and having the stone match my original as far as cut is concerned... no way.

I''ve already composed a letter to Sterling Jewelers (parent company), our Better Business Bureau, and Attorney General. I feel that altering that document was just too much.

BTW, the "fine print" on the work order states: "I have provided and agree with the stated value. If said item is lost or damaged, I understand that I will receive replacement merchandise of like or similar retail value up to and not exceeding the amount state above." So a replacement stone would go along with that providing it matches up to the cut of my stone.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't really know about this. But I'm going to go there anyway.

I think that they crossed the lines into criminal behavior by forging a document. I wonder if your local police would be able to get involved. That would certainly get that manager's butt in line...

Lawyers? Input?

Just an idea.

ETA: Also get a copy of the ALTERED work order if you can!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi jaxteach77. I think neatfreak''s idea to get a copy of the altered work-order is interesting, but having a copy could be misconstrued - these guys are so shady.

If I were you, I would first write a letter to the store manager documenting your entire experience to date. Include the description of the forged work-order, a copy of your GIA certification, a COPY of the original work order. Let them know you still have the original. State their policy (like you did here) and that you would like to be compensated with comparable merchandise. Copy the manager''s boss. If you need to, call and find out who that is. Send the letter certified, return receipt requested.

I would be factual in the letter and say that you would like to resolve the matter, fairly, amicably, and without any further escalation. Give them a deadline of 7 days or 2 weeks or whatever you think is reasonable. If they don''t respond the way you want, then I think you should escalate the matter, involve the BBB, the Attorney General, and the head of the company.

You can go directly to the head of the company, but I would try to first work it out with the individual store. You know better than me though since you''re in it.

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
1. Make a copy of the original work order as this is essential evidence in a case. Have the copy certified and then use it with your dealings with the jeweller. Keep the original work order in a very safe place and do not let the jeweller handle it at all.

2. A different 'work order' ... altering the work order is very bad practice ... ask them why their work order is different from the original and state that you are receiving independent legal advice. Furthermore, have the appraiser give you written documentation stating that the diamond did not have a chip when he assessed it but 'did' have a chip after the setting.

3. Ask for everything in writing with the manager's name, signature. And ask for a witness to be present to countersign if possible. The statement 'every VS2/F stone with the same polish/symmetry' is the same is absolute balderdash and shows the jeweller is trying to take you for a ride. Especially with him not allowing an independent appraiser and requesting a release.

4. If you can get him to confess to the chip ... you have him.

5. Don't sign any releases.

6. IGI stones *sighs* ... I wouldn't buy his stock. Who knows if his F/VS2 are actually G/SI1.

7. Under no circumstances let the store get away with this ... it's so dodgy they should be put back into place. Did you have insurance? Did the store have insurance that covers the stones and damage whilst in their possesion? If in fact you do wish to pursue this... some options are telling them that you are willing to take legal recourse if this is not settled to your complete satisfaction including the possibility of monetary compensation rather than a replacement 'stone' and that you will be using your choice of independent legal advisers and appraisers. If they insist on a 'replacement' stone then insist that your get 'up to the appraised value' of your previous stone... and not necesarily from that jeweller either! As who knows what else they may do (e.g. switch / get you back by substituting a poorer stone when setting). If they remain 'nasty' and 'harass' you ... follow through with a letter from a lawyer.

8. Don't under any circumanstances let the e-ring out of your sight and let them do a switch.

Hi it''s me again,

I just get so heated every time I read this thread. Nothing gets me fired up more than bad business. NOTHING.

What state are you in?

I would also call the local news! They have always have specials on the local news about companies doing bad business. And I think your case is EXACTLY the type of story they would put on the news. This would help you get what you deserve and make the company think twice next time they think about doing something as this.

I would NOT wait to contact the district manager, the CEO, and any other ''higher up'' you can get ahold of. Email, phone, etc... Use all your resources. I would NOT try to work this out with the store b/c they have already proved (including the manager) that they can''t be trusted. If you know a lawyer, or have one, I would definitely not hesistate to have them send a letter if they are willing to do it for free.

And I concur with others that say to get written statements from the appraiser about his pre-chip and post-chip findings. And yes, if some how you can get a copy of the altered report then do so. If they are smart Jared''s will burn the altered copy. But I would do whatever I could to either get a copy or atleast a picture of it. Use your cell phone camera, digital camera, or even a camcorder. SHOW THAT THEY ARE CROOKS! Personally, I go in the store alone and ask to see the report that said it had the chip, and I''d have my buddy secretly waiting around the corner with a camcorder. Then, as soon as the report was in your hands, I have been swoop in and take video of the slip including taking video of the store to show that you are really at the store and that is really the slip they presented you.

Don''t back down!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2007 11:02:00 PM
Author: jaxteach77

I agree that it appears they are admitting guilt by offering to replace the stone even though the manager repeatedly stated point blank that they did not chip the stone. At this point I am not able to trust this person or company for that matter. Why would someone change a document that the customer has a copy of?? Unreal. Providing a replacement stone would seem like the answer, but without an appraisal and having the stone match my original as far as cut is concerned... no way.
Interesting that we have all noted Jared''s modification of your paperwork as the blackest mark here. It is shocking. I''m also guessing professionals on this board...despite it being the weekend, may be hard pressed to come quickly with a simple remedy, for such obvious malfeasance.

One thing...you know from them what they say will make you go away. Consider...possibly they need to know from you, from your point of view, what will make you go away.

They are known to carry AGS0 options. You might identify one somewhat comparable, say that should meet your needs, providing it checks out, and make sure they have your phone number...also pointing out to them that their altered document is really bad form...though you may have already done this. Then again...careful. Unless you also have a copy of their altered document...that could certainly be made to go away.

Given what has happened...what you really want is for this to be finished, and be able to move on...rather than lots of wrangling. Unfortunately, you can''t get the original back, and you can let them know, and know yourself, that though that is the preferred option, it''s not available to you. Try to determine, with respect to cut and everything...what could satisfy you. Pursue this.

Alternately, despite what the BBB has to show...I should think a bad story can damage them much more, and their hurt can be really significant. Figuring out the best way for them to understand you understand this, seems a reasonable approach.

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so sorry this happened to you Jax. You''ve gotten great advice so I won''t repeat it, but do not back down on this. I can''t believe they''re trying to pull the wool over your eyes. Even if graded by the GIA, no 2 F VS2s are the same...let alone trying to compare a GIA to an IGI.
29.gif
Document everything, involve a lawyer if you need to, never let your original documents out of your sight, you know the drill. Good luck!

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
This sounds like the "typical" mess that occurs when this happens.

There is a lot here that needs to be clarified before going in to the store in a rampage.

There are a lot of different way to resolve this, hopefully without resorting to a legal action.

I do not know if your appraiser has had any expert witness experience in matter such as these, and how detailed his original report and accompanying report was done. This is going to have relatively serious impact on this matter.

Did your stone have a major lab report when you bought it?

Did the appraiser do microscope photos of the stone?

Have you asked Jared''s who their insurance carrier is?

Is the chip in the corner underneath the prongs?

When you went to the appraiser the second time, did he photograph the damage, and ascertain the cause ?

Did the appraiser tell you if the stone is reparable?

Let''s start there and I can comment further on a procedure to go forward.

Hope this helps.

Rockdoc

jaxteach77

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much for you advice.

RockDoc... Yes the stone came with a GIA lab report (it's actually I believe the shorter "dossier"? there is no plot of the inlcusion). It was purchased from a reputable online retailer recommended on PS and came with a lot of other documentation with various photos, etc. The appraiser, to my knowledge, did not take photos of the stone initially (my fiance took the stone in for the initial appraisal right after we got it). The chip is right between the prongs (it is a split-prong setting). Again I don't know if the appraiser took photos Thursday when the damage was discovered. The appraiser is closed for the Easter holiday and will reopen Tuesday morning. She did tell me that the damage had to occur during the setting process. She said beyond a shadow of doubt the chip was not there when the loose stone was examined Wednesday afternoon. I believe that she mentioned something about the way the metal was either in the stone or something to that affect. The appraiser said the stone would have to be recut with a loss of weight, etc. to be repaired. I do not have either appraisal at this time because I saw her right before closing and she will not be back in until Tuesday. I certainly have a great deal to discuss with her at that time.

I am on my own this weekend, but plan to try what I can to get some proof of the altered work order. I assume they cannot prepare a "fake" since there is a barcode and number on my original.

For my knowledge... is a corner chipped princess prone to additional chipping? If I choose to keep this stone and leave it as it is (with some other compensation), am I risking further breakage?

ETA I'm in Florida and really don't know my legal rights in this situation, but I'm researching as fast as I can.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m horrified!! Jared altered the work order, lied and said they didn''t do it, and then stated that every F/VS2 .79 princess is the same.......this is as bad as it gets! Altering the original work order is especially disgusting!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

It sounds to me like they’ve conceded the point that the broke it or they wouldn’t have offered to replace it at all. What’s left is a negotiation over the price. I agree with the above that altering the claim ticket is a serious accusation and they should know better. If you can prove it, this would almost certainly of interest to the consumer fraud division at the local DA’s office. I would expect them not to voluntarily provide you with a copy of the evidence and, when pressed, to find it mysteriously missing but I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to ask. The heart of the matter, as stated by Ira above, is for you to decide what it would take to make you go away. They’ve made an offer. Now it’s your turn. That’s the way negotiation works.

Replacing it with a substitute stone that is truly comparable and giving them the damaged stone to repair and sell to someone else is fair, agreed? The issue then becomes deciding what constitutes a comparable offer. The store’s own marketing refutes the manager’s claim that all stones of a particular size/clarity/weight are the same so this is easy to dismiss as misplaced damage control. He may, of course, be right that yours is nothing special but even if true, this just makes it easy on them to replace it. Cut matters and they full well know it matters.

Since it’s a recent purchase, you probably have a fair amount of information about the pre-damage condition. You’ve got a GIA, have you got a Sarin, ASET, Idealscope, BrillianceScope or anything else to document the cutting? Even if you don’t, you’ve got the damaged stone so your appraiser should be able to examine what they are offering as a replacement and compare the cutting. It is entirely reasonable that you should be permitted to show the offered stone to your expert for an opinion before making a decision to accept or reject a particular offer.

Note to the store management if you’re reading this thread:
The first step to getting out of a hole is to stop digging. The actual damages here aren’t really all that high …. Yet. Replace the customer’s stone with a smile and an apology, recut, recert and resell the other one and you may even still come out of this at a profit. Do it quickly and painlessly and you will come out of it with a customer as well. You already took the loss from the setter and a certain amount of this just comes with the business. I feel your pain but you’ve already lost this part of the battle. Yanking the customer around over the cut issue may save you a few hundred bucks on the replacement but it’s going to bite you big time in the PR department. Notice how many people have read this thread. Go the extra mile to make this right. The best, and most profitable businesses aren’t the ones that never make a mistake for this is an unreasonable standard. Everybody makes mistakes and has problems. Failure to resolve them quickly and effectively is yet ANOTHER mistake. By the way, fire whatever overzealous employee altered the claim ticket. If you don’t, it’s YOUR butt on the line when the DA sinks their teeth into this.
Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I have nothing worthwhile to offer except that I''m so sorry to hear you''re going through this over what should have been a joyful purchase. Hopefully you''ll be able to resolve the situation and come out of it with a stone you will be happy with and love.

He Scores

Shiny_Rock
Several things. One when you buy an engagement ring, don''t leave the store without insurance. Replacement is not a problem then. Insure it through the store or as a rider on your homeowners policy. &(#^ happens.

Second. Retail jewelers. Get your take in policies in order.

Bill Bray
Diamond Cutter

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Three words:
Camera Cell phone.

If you have access to a camera cell phone go back in and somehow get them to show you the altered form. Then whip out the cell phone and ''click!'' You now have proof of their wrong doing.
29.gif

jaxteach77

Rough_Rock
He Scores-- The ring was insured right after we had it set. The insurance company would not insure a loose diamond. Unfortunatley that policy did not go into affect until midnight the evening we had the stone set.

I know that princess cuts are prone to chipping due to the nature of the shape and other factors. The girdle on my stone is 2.77%. Would that have contributed to the chip?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2007 6:56:41 PM
He Scores-- The ring was insured right after we had it set. The insurance company would not insure a loose diamond. Unfortunatley that policy did not go into affect until midnight the evening we had the stone set.

I know that princess cuts are prone to chipping due to the nature of the shape and other factors. The girdle on my stone is 2.77%. Would that have contributed to the chip?

I don''t know about that girdle, but princesses are prone to chipping. But don''t tell them that. They never should have chipped it in the first place if they were careful, and a GOOD jeweler who chipped your stone would never treat you the way they have. Not your fault, so don''t give in!

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2007 3:58:27 PM
Thank you all so much for you advice.

RockDoc... Yes the stone came with a GIA lab report (it's actually I believe the shorter 'dossier'? there is no plot of the inlcusion). It was purchased from a reputable online retailer recommended on PS and came with a lot of other documentation with various photos, etc. The appraiser, to my knowledge, did not take photos of the stone initially (my fiance took the stone in for the initial appraisal right after we got it). The chip is right between the prongs (it is a split-prong setting). Again I don't know if the appraiser took photos Thursday when the damage was discovered. The appraiser is closed for the Easter holiday and will reopen Tuesday morning. She did tell me that the damage had to occur during the setting process. She said beyond a shadow of doubt the chip was not there when the loose stone was examined Wednesday afternoon. I believe that she mentioned something about the way the metal was either in the stone or something to that affect. The appraiser said the stone would have to be recut with a loss of weight, etc. to be repaired. I do not have either appraisal at this time because I saw her right before closing and she will not be back in until Tuesday. I certainly have a great deal to discuss with her at that time.

I am on my own this weekend, but plan to try what I can to get some proof of the altered work order. I assume they cannot prepare a 'fake' since there is a barcode and number on my original.

For my knowledge... is a corner chipped princess prone to additional chipping? If I choose to keep this stone and leave it as it is (with some other compensation), am I risking further breakage?

ETA I'm in Florida and really don't know my legal rights in this situation, but I'm researching as fast as I can.

I'm in Florida too.

If the "chip" is not mentioned in the list of inclusions in the stone on the GIA Dossier Report, you have reasonable evidence that there wasn't any pre-exitisting damage before the item was given to them to set. In addition you will have the appraiser's report and/or testimony relating to what she saw before the setting of the stone and after the setting of the stone.

What the damage actually is will be of importance. Commonly princess cuts will "spinter" in the corners while being set. It depends on how deep the damage went into the stone. If it is minor, repolishing a point or two off, and keeping the stone may be your preference (providing also that you are monetarily compensated for any loss of value, which is carat weight, change in clarity grade, cost of new grading report, and setting unsetting and resetting the stone once again). You could also elect to have them get the old stone, and get a replacement one (if so, as Neil wrote they get the stone they damaged). If the damage is a feather that extends into the stone, that is more severe, and the stone may need replacement. If it is a surface chip, then POSSIBLY it could be polished out without altering the cut grade, but know this may not be possible too, and your appraiser should advise you to re-submit the stone again to GIA if in the event it needs to be regraded after the repair.

Depending on your insurance policy. The issue will be "Did you know of the damage before it was insured?" If you didn't not know about the damaged when you insured it, then most insurance companies would honor your claim ( especially in your instance, since they stand a reasonably good chance or being paid back by subrogation) If you were covered with insurance, the insurance company will replace your stone, or repair and pay you the difference in loss of value, and then attempt recovery of payment for the claim through Jareds.

Altering the repair order, will have some merit, but I think you have enough good evidence in your corner already. An employee of Jared's MIGHT think that a work order showing a chip would be a good defense, but in comparison to the one you have that does not note the condition of the stone being chipped, would result in no lending much credibility to Jared's for attempting such a defense.

Stores that have multiple locations in an area almost always have a "District Manager". You should ask for his contact information from the manager of the store where you went, and arrange to meet him, along with your appraiser, when he is in that store. ( It is prudent to have the appraiser there that can be an IMPARTIAL witness for you in the event that things don't get settled amicably).

Generally, that is enough hardball at this time. I think they would see the wisdom in resolving this problem to your satisfaction, as long as you are level headed and reasonable with them.

Hope this helps,

Rockdoc

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Another question, Jax

Did you purchase the ring from Jared''s, or just bring in the stone and the mounting only to have it set there?

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results