carat
color
clarity

Diamond, Carbonado or what???

STOJA001

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi.

I personally found this stone in a lake.
This stone is just above 1550 carats.
Under UV-light it does only look like a piece of "silver" with red flashes - the specimen mixed onto it looks just "baby-blue".

The stone is quite dark, black but with greenish tint to it.
I got no clue what this is. Tried to break the stone with a hammer, tried to break it with pressure/dumpster as well - no effect at all!

I have tested this stone with a Diamond tester, I also tested it with a Diamond/Moissanite tester.
Tested as a diamond - and is unbreakable whatsoever.

In the same lake I found bigger ones, but laid them back.
This was big like 2 footballs together I would say, atleast.
Weighing maybe approx. 7-8 kilograms = approx. 40 000 carats!!
If it's a Carbonado (black diamond), the 8 KG's would be worth somewhere above $62,850,000.00
So please - let me know! :D

Some of the ones I found in the lake was green, some was black, and some had both colors mixed.

On the bigger stones, there's some "porous" type of stone (another type) - "glued"/mixed into the stone or almost protecting it.

Any ideas?????

2011-10-16 03.45.53.jpg

2011-10-16 03.46.03.jpg

2011-10-16 03.46.20.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a rock.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
LovingDiamonds|1318757000|3041389 said:
It's a rock.

:appl: :lol:

I agree with LD on this one.

Which lake did you dig it out of btw?

STOJA001

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It's a rock.

Oh, really?
Then I will get super-rich anyway - first rock in the world that's testing as a diamond! :D
No, but seriously - regular rocks isn't supposed to look that way...

It kinda looks like melted glass - but at same looking as melted metall.
And it's HEAVY for it's size!
The most interesting thing is that it's unbreakable....

It looks just like a Carbonado - first one is mine.. The other one's is famous Carboando's.

2011-10-16 03.46.03.jpg

carbonado.jpeg

carbonado03.jpg

STOJA001

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Pandora|1318764500|3041402 said:
It's a rock.

:appl: :lol:

I agree with LD on this one.

Which lake did you dig it out of btw?

I wont tell which lake just yet, not until I know what it is..
It's not found on regular beach or something, the water I'm talking about is tricky to get down to - but it's located in Europe.
I've been searching the internet for any information, but it's never stated anything about any Meteroits or Asteroid's found here.
It's located at only one place in the lake (at least as I know), but it's plenty of it at spot - big, small, different colors etc :)
The greener ones is for some reason more clear, not as opaque.

But I remember, when I was 3-4 years old a boy in our neighbourhood found a Meteorite.
But that looked like brown glass with bubble inclusions.
So I really dont have any idea.

I were talking with them at GIA about this thing as well..
They told me they would be pleased to give it a Diamond Report for only $100-$150.
And yes I know they usally would charge thousand $$$ for certifying a diamond over 1550 carat, so I dont know why they gave me that price?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because they're pretty sure it will be a quick examination because its a rock? Thats what I would suggest.

STOJA001

Shiny_Rock
Trade
minousbijoux|1318781817|3041495 said:
Because they're pretty sure it will be a quick examination because its a rock? Thats what I would suggest.

Probably not, they would grade it as Black Diamond - that was what they told me at least.
They wouldn't check what it was, but they would give me Rough Diamond Report for it.
They've seen it in pictures, so I'm pretty sure.

But I'm not saying I'm 100% sure it's a Black Diamond...
I will post the Report when done (approx. 8 weeks) and let you guys see if I were right or wrong :)

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Please, please do get the report and let us know either way.

We get a lot of people come here and show their super-rare, ultra-valuable gems and refuse to get lab reports because they just 'know'. It is very nice to get someone who is prepared to test out their hunches through proper channels. :appl:

I hope you are indeed sitting on a black diamond mine - but if it's not, do come and tell us what it turns out to be!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
STOJA001|1318776460|3041457 said:
It's a rock.

Oh, really?
Then I will get super-rich anyway - first rock in the world that's testing as a diamond! :D
No, but seriously - regular rocks isn't supposed to look that way...

It kinda looks like melted glass - but at same looking as melted metall.
And it's HEAVY for it's size!
The most interesting thing is that it's unbreakable....

It looks just like a Carbonado - first one is mine.. The other one's is famous Carboando's.

I spend a great deal of my time in the Med and I can tell you that the rock you've got there is very very very similar to ones we can pick up at a certain beach. It would be great if it's a diamond but honestly I doubt it. Anyway it'll be interesting to see what it turns out to be.

STOJA001

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Pandora|1318782429|3041503 said:
Please, please do get the report and let us know either way.

We get a lot of people come here and show their super-rare, ultra-valuable gems and refuse to get lab reports because they just 'know'. It is very nice to get someone who is prepared to test out their hunches through proper channels. :appl:

I hope you are indeed sitting on a black diamond mine - but if it's not, do come and tell us what it turns out to be!

Yes, I will scan the GIA Report when I receive it and post it here.

The most interesting thing about it is that it's a 10 on Moh's scale, that's why I would like to check it.
The first rock/carbonado/stone I found was when there were inundation here, that's plenty ears ago.
I got back to the same water approx. 8-9 years later (2007) and I could still find pleanty of this mineral/material.
The farther out I go into the sea - the bigger the stones get.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like slag which is a byproduct of steel production. Black, glassy rock. Would be interested in the updates when you get it tested.

STOJA001

Shiny_Rock
Trade
LisaRN|1318800445|3041608 said:
It looks like slag which is a byproduct of steel production. Black, glassy rock. Would be interested in the updates when you get it tested.

Okay, thanks for your answer :)

I will post it derect in this link so you guys get notified.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diamonds are not indestructible, contrary to popular culture - they have perfect cleavage and are brittle, so they are quite easy to split apart. With this in mind, the hammer test tends to show me that it isn't a diamond (diamonds can shatter on impact).

Instead of paying $150 for a lab report, is there a mineralogy club near you? They can give you a good idea of what your specimen is for free. Then, if it is likely to be a diamond, go for the report.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Lady_Disdain|1318952488|3042728 said:
Diamonds are not indestructible, contrary to popular culture - they have perfect cleavage and are brittle, so they are quite easy to split apart. With this in mind, the hammer test tends to show me that it isn't a diamond (diamonds can shatter on impact).

Instead of paying $150 for a lab report, is there a mineralogy club near you? They can give you a good idea of what your specimen is for free. Then, if it is likely to be a diamond, go for the report.

I agree. It could be nephrite jade. Chunks of that were used as hammers in ancient China and they were quite durable.

More than likely this is a piece of an alien spacecraft though. I sure hope that you've been wearing your foil hat or you may get visitors looking for their parts some evening soon. :-o

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Heavy for its size <> black diamond. Solid Carbon is much lighter than about anything. Magnetic? It does look like iron slag/ingot. Durable usually means Jade, but I don't real deposits in Europe. And diamond testers will false positive and I think on conductive metal. I thought I remember them being more of a conductivity tester. Graphite is very conductive (which is why my dad always warned the 1st year chemistry students not to get bored and stick a pencil in the electrical sockets on the table tops in the lab.)

errr... for non-techies <> means not equal. != is even more obscure ;-)

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I like to think I have picked up a rock or two in my day and from that experience I think I can say that unequivocally and without a doubt you do not have a giant black diamond. This is why gemtesters SUCK and should never be trusted 100%
Believe it or not more people than you would think don't do scratch test properly. Try scratching it with a silicon carbide drill bit (around a 9.5 in hardness). Are those round pits on the surface?

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
amethystguy|1318997379|3043240 said:
I like to think I have picked up a rock or two in my day and from that experience I think I can say that unequivocally and without a doubt you do not have a giant black diamond. This is why gemtesters SUCK and should never be trusted 100%
Believe it or not more people than you would think don't do scratch test properly. Try scratching it with a silicon carbide drill bit (around a 9.5 in hardness). Are those round pits on the surface?
I would actually try a piece of glass. Found a 'garnet' recently. Cool, it scratches glass! Uncool, glass scratches it. It was probably a 1950's beer bottle. Quartz is another good one.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
George Ellis|1319073619|3043890 said:
amethystguy|1318997379|3043240 said:
I would actually try a piece of glass. Found a 'garnet' recently. Cool, it scratches glass! Uncool, glass scratches it. It was probably a 1950's beer bottle. Quartz is another good one.

This is actually what I was thinking: if you're in an area with a history of volcanic activity, it could be a chunk of obsidian. Curious to hear what it turns out to be ....

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
George Ellis|1318984268|3043097 said:

I've always used =/= for "not equal." Not sure if that's more or less nerdy.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
jstarfireb said:
George Ellis|1318984268|3043097 said:

I've always used =/= for "not equal." Not sure if that's more or less nerdy.

and I've always used !=

Raja kambli

Rough_Rock
Hi.

Under UV-light it does only look like a piece of "silver" with red flashes - the specimen mixed onto it looks just "baby-blue".

I got no clue what this is. Tried to break the stone with a hammer, tried to break it with pressure/dumpster as well - no effect at all!

I have tested this stone with a Diamond tester, I also tested it with a Diamond/Moissanite tester.

If it's a Carbonado (black diamond), the 8 KG's would be worth somewhere above $62,850,000.00

Some of the ones I found in the lake was green, some was black, and some had both colors mixed.

On the bigger stones, there's some "porous" type of stone (another type) - "glued"/mixed into the stone or almost protecting it.

Any ideas?????

2011-10-16 03.45.53.jpg

2011-10-16 03.46.03.jpg

2011-10-16 03.46.20.jpg

Raja kambli

Rough_Rock
Hi.

Any ideas?????

2011-10-16 03.45.53.jpg IMG_20170925_195616.jpg

2011-10-16 03.46.03.jpg

2011-10-16 03.46.20.jpg

I also found the same ur information is so useful for me

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm actually a little disappointed that I got to the bottom of this thread and there was never an update! Was it a giant black diamond? Was it a rock? Inquiring minds need to know. :twisted2::lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results