shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond buying in New York City

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MrsT

Shiny_Rock
Lorelei:

Question on Michael Jay:

I went on their website to view the inventory. They list Ideal/Excellent cuts that have lower grades in polish and symmetry.

Can you have an Ideal cut and still have a grade of good/good for polish and symmetry?

I would like to know because I overlook stones that have good and very good grades.
Now I''m confused again
33.gif

From all I''ve read, Ideal cuts receive excellents in polish/symmetry/cut. That is how you get AGS000. GIA doesn''t grade the same but if you know the Ideal parameters you can check the Sarin to see if it is truly Ideal proportions.

If this is true I think Michael Jay might not be honest in the description of their stones which is why I''m so scared to go to NYC to look at diamonds.

Hope you don''t mind clearling this up for me.
Mrs T

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just also want to mention that another PS person has been searching for a fine quality 4-5 carat emerald cut stone for months. You will not find a stone like that by walking in jewlery stores. You will find one by asking someone like Jonathan at GOG to look for one for you. It could take weeks or months or more. Stones over 3 cts. in fine quality are pretty rare, so you have to be willing to wait.

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
I believe your post said you wouldn''t be going till October. That gives you time to find stones you want to see, and call some of the 47th referrals. Tell them you were referred to them and would they please email some stones and copies of their certs. this way you already have the dialog going and can norrow down what you go see.

Lots of times when you go from place to place on 47th, they are all getting thier large stones from the same supplier "Upstairs". By getting a dialog going now, you can save yourself some time by seeing what already interest you.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mrs. T, most here prefer AGS0 with 0 (ideal) for light performance, polish, and symmetry. However, some of the appraisers have said that very good on up for polish and symmetry is acceptable. So if the cut is great, you can handle very good on polish or symmetry. On the GIA certs, Excellent is the highest and I believe very good is the next. But you''d want excellent on the cut grade for sure.

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
DD, I just wanted to say that I love GOG. Almost all of my purchases within the past 8 years have been through them. And I will continue to be a walk in customer. Will be using soon to reset something...

However, I did not purchase my radiant through them. If you want to see large stones with them, you must set up the appointment with your requrements ahead of time so they will be able to get the stones in for you to see. I started my search with them and would compare three stones at a time.

In the end, I found what I was looking for on 47th. There were lots more to compare in one local. AS LONG AS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR AND AT!!!!! You have lots of time to learn from PS and go to local stores by you for information purposes.

Prepare to ARM yourself with all the information you can!!!!!

jaygtr

Rough_Rock
I just received my stone/ring yesterday from Mark Turnowski. www.engagementringsdirect.com. I would highly recommend making an app''t with him when you''re there. A great experience.

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
Jaygtr, have you posted pix of your new ring???:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results