shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond buying in New York City

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamond diva

Rough_Rock
My hubby and I will be in New York City soon and I am fascinated with what I hear and read about the Diamond District (47th street)
There seems to be a lot of different opinions about the purchasing of diamonds in this area!
Has anyone had any experiences? (positive or negative)
Could anyone recommend anyplaces to purchase (upgrade) a diamond?

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/26/2006 11:04:44 AM
Author:diamond diva
My hubby and I will be in New York City soon and I am fascinated with what I hear and read about the Diamond District (47th street)
There seems to be a lot of different opinions about the purchasing of diamonds in this area!
Has anyone had any experiences? (positive or negative)
Could anyone recommend anyplaces to purchase (upgrade) a diamond?
That is a very competitive area to buy a diamond.

If you don''t know what you''re looking at as an expert, you can get taken terribly. At the street level, it is almost like a vaudeville show, with "hawkers" pulling you in to the different booths to make sales.

Concentrate on the documentation, and the ability to see the diamond in many different ways. I.E. microscope, different lighting, etc.

There are some well reputed sellers that are on this forum that work in upstairs offices, that will take the time to inform and educate you.

That is probably a better "bet" than being "pressured" by many of the sellers on the street level areas.

I''d also suggest you vist the high end stores while youre there too. Tiffany, Fred''s, Cartier, De Beers, etc. and while they won''t be the cheapest places, you''ll get the experience of seeing some qualities items.

However, I would not get sucked in to the " I''m selling it to you at wholesale" or making the price the primary consideration of your choice.

I think you''ll find it an experience, that is a good learning experience, and teaching your eyes as there is certainly a wide variety of different items to see.

Personally, I would get the education, not buy anything, see and learn all you can, then come home, and take your time.

Go to the Museum of Natural History and see the gem exhibits there too. Fascinating place.

At 580 Fifth Ave, you could also visit the GIA, which might be interesting for you as well. Take a look at the Gem Instruments store there too, and see all the equipment they have too. Maybe even check out some of the books they sell.

Hope this helps

Rockdoc

diamond diva

Rough_Rock
RocDoc- Thanks for your reply.

My husband and I are really excited about our trip to NYC but we don''t want to be "taken"!
I want to upgrade my diamond as it is our anniversary. Would you post the names of those jewelers who are on this website --perhaps then I could contact them and set up something.
Thanks - Diamond Diva

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were going to be shopping in NY for a diamond, I would contact one of the PS Vendors who is constantly receiving high praise on Pricescope, Good Old Gold. They're on Long Island, but could be well worth the trip from the city. Most people rave about them. Another jeweler in the city is Barry from SuperbCert. From what I recall has a good reputation. But, having read so many accolades about Good Old Gold, I'd certainly make an appointment with them.

Hope this helps and have fun shopping for that ROCK!!!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

NYC can definitely be a hoot and there’s some merit to buying a souvenir from an exciting vacation but don’t be led to believe that the address of the store is what makes one deal better than the next. There is NOTHING that a dealer in NYC can offer that that same dealer couldn’t offer if they were located close to home, in Antwerp or Bombay if they chose to be there. It’s not magic, and it’s not ‘wholesale’. It’s just a bunch of dealers who are hoping (or perhaps hopping) to make a sale. Some are good, some are bad, just like back home. Choose your dealer with care and don’t be bamboozled into believing that address is their most important attribute. As Rockdoc pointed out, the best are not generally the easiest to find although there are plenty of sharks upstairs as well. You’re diving into the deep end of the pool.

If you are going to be selling you existing stone as part of the deal, make sure you know what you have BEFORE you leave home. This is one of those situations where an independent appraisal is very useful. Try to find a qualified appraiser who neither buys nor sells diamonds to give you a grading and an unbiased opinion of what you can expect.

There is a list of PS advertising dealers at the top of the page under ‘Resources’ and all include their physical addresses. Several have offices in NYC. Although they don’t all maintain a showroom, most can arrange to meet with you in some secure environment to show you stones if you schedule an appointment.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) CGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

klavigne

Shiny_Rock
Definitely go to the museum and check out the gem display, it will totally blow your mind. They have some stones there that are golfball sized. WOW! I get stuck in that display every time I go in there.
On topic, I would avoid the diamond district if I was going to buy. It''s a great place to look around and compare, but the chances of you finding a great deal are slim to none. Remember that NYC is the most expensive place in the country to live and there not in the business of making friends, it''s all about the money to them. I''d rather give my money to the mom and pop place back home. Just my 2 cents!

littleroman

Rough_Rock
KPL - Have you ever been to the diamond district ? Some of your statements are quite humorous.

" but the chances of you finding a great deal are slim to none"

It's the largest source of diamonds in the country where all diamonds pass through in the US and you think the chances of finding a deal there are slim to none ? LOL, I got a great deal from a very reputable jeweler which I haven't been able to match anywhere else. I know many many people who get great prices there. Sure there are a lot of BS people there but there are a lot of sincere dealers who do a huge business based on low prices and volume.

To say your chances of finding a great deal there is slim to none is a joke.

"Remember that NYC is the most expensive place in the country to live and there not in the business of making friends, it's all about the money to them".

Actually Northern California is the most expensive place to live in the country. However, unlike other places the diamond district is all about volume hence why you can get a deal. A small shop in the district may get a 1000 people a day in there hence they're willing to take less than a boutique somewhere else that gets 10 people a day.

As far as them being in the businees to make money and not friends, you tell me one diamond dealer that is in the business to make friends and not money ????? LOL Hysterical.

Why do I even repond to things like this ??

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d also make an appointment with Mark Turnowski, www.engagementringsdirect.com . As mentioned previously GOG is on Long Island and definitlely worth the trip while in NYC. Good luck!!

klavigne

Shiny_Rock
From Money magazines June 6th 2006 issue:
To nobody''s surprise who has ever lived -- or even visited -- there, Manhattan is the most expensive place in the United States to live. ...Also the most expensive place to own an automobile. Maybe check your facts next time!
Have I ever been there? I pass by it every day on my way to work and have done more window shopping than probably anyone, talked to just about ever dealer, so I think I know a little something.
Hey if you "think" your getting such a great deal then good for you, that''s great! You are going to pay exactly what the stone is worth and that''s not a great deal in my opinion. You can think it''s so hysterical thats great, I''m sure the dealers were laughing hysterically at you while they padded their pockets. But it''s your money, spend it where ever and how ever you want but I''ll spend mine someplace where I get outstanding service and a better than fair deal anyday over so-so service and a rap sheet price!

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
Shopping on 47th can be alot of fun. Be armed with information regarding what you want, whats important to spend the money on.

I am happy with my purchase on 47th. I was not taken by the drag ins. Windows don''t always have the good stuff. A serious buyer with specific requirements, usualy means getting the stone from "UPSTAIRS", unless the have a large inhouse stock.

There is no such thing as wholesale, but it should be fair to you for the purchase you love...... Everyone is in it to make a living. NO ONE is giving away diamonds for a bargain. Unless it is lasered, etc.... Always ask that, and only look at certified stones.

Do you what size range, color, etc you want to look at? What days do you plan on going. Lot''s of the vendors close early fri and are closed sat for the sabbath. Most of the good stones are locked up "UPSTAIRS" over the weekend. So you will be limited in your choice.

littleroman

Rough_Rock
KPL-

Your diamond dealer (who is probably online and has never seen your face) is more concerned with making friends than money so that would be tough to beat.

Diamond Dealer thinks to self......

If I sell this diamond I will loose money but gain a friend......................

OK I''ll sell it for less than I paid for ...

LOL are you kidding me ???

With nievity like this it''s not even worth carrying on this conversation.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want a very high quality, ideal cut diamond and a fair deal from someone trustworthy, I''d make an appointment at Good Old Gold to see Jonathan. I wouldn''t consider just going in and buying a diamond from a source that had not received outside recommendations. I''ve learned my lesson on that.

klavigne

Shiny_Rock
Actually my jeweler is Bayar Jewelers in NJ on route 23 in Wayne, really nice people, talk to Paul, he really knows his stuff. Your right though littleman it''s not worth having this conversation with you. You seems to know everything even though you''ve only been around a week, thats great, you must be a real know know it all. I''m glad you got a such an awesome deal on your 3ct "good cut" stone, but you ain''t gonna get a deal on an AGS0 without really knowing your stuff, but I guess you must know that already right? Jeez, some people!

Anyway, back on topic. If your going to go and buy then go on a Monday. The hasidic jews belive that if you make a sale to the first customer you get on a Monday morning then you will have a good week. So most of them don''t want to let you leave without making a sale, this could be a huge advantage to you. So if you can get there on a Monday early enough you might walk away happy! Good Luck with the upgrade and be sure to let us know how everything goes!

littleroman

Rough_Rock
Competition and sales based on Volume are why you can get a great price. No where else in the country or even the world will you find that much competition or sales based on volume.

KPL- How did you find the prices at that mini diamond exchange on Rt. 4 ? Is it called the Jewlery Center ?

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
i will also recommend superbcert. i got my diamond and tiffany replica setting from them and it is amazing. :)

diamond diva

Rough_Rock
Eva-- I''d love to PM you but as I am a newbie
--WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?
--and How do I DO it?

Thanks

Diamond Diva

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
LOLOLOL... I am a newbie too. I saw that littleroman wrote that and figured it was a way to communicate privately.

I am sorry but I dont know how. Maybe you can ask littleroman and we can both share our referrals with you.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/26/2006 5:01:17 PM
Author: Eva17
LOLOLOL... I am a newbie too. I saw that littleroman wrote that and figured it was a way to communicate privately.

I am sorry but I dont know how. Maybe you can ask littleroman and we can both share our referrals with you.
All the recommendations members are willing to share should be done openly on the forums, that''s how it works here according to Policies.

Posting E-mails is not allowed.

diamond diva

Rough_Rock
Eva- Thanks for your response.It sounds as if you can make your recommendations right here so I would love to hear who you think I should go to!
Thanks
Diamond Diva

P>S> We can hardly wait to go to NYC and shop and see Broadway shows- we now enjoy that more than cruising!!!

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
O.K.

Ultimate Jewelry, 14 W. 47th Street.

If you go there. Ask for Abe and tell him the 5ct Radiant sent you.....

Not pushy or hard sell at all. Especially if you are an educated consumer. He enjoys showing to a customer that knows what works for them. If you really want to see him. I would call ahead and he can have several of something specific on site. His in house stock in quite large.

Have you seen Mama Mia? I am like a groupie. Anytime I find a friend that hasn''t seen it, I say I''ll take you. Seen it many times. I hear the Jersey Boys is great. I think that is our next one.

Good Luck!

MrsT

Shiny_Rock
Hello
You might want to visit Firenze Jewelers, 15 West 47th St.
They carry gorgeous designer settings.(Simon G, Natialie K)
Web site:www.firenzejewels.com

Call ahead and tell them what you are looking for. I had a very pleasant conversation with Miles and he really seems to understand the importance of cut.
Haven''t been there yet but planning to real soon as well as Good old Gold in Long Island.

Good Luck
Mrs T

diamondlove

Shiny_Rock
Have a great trip-- I love NYC!

I agree with the previous posters in that, 1. you really just need to be an educated consumer before you go play with the sharks (diamond district), 2. I also LOVE Mamma Mia
9.gif
but I love broadway in general 3. Visit GoG even though it's a trek to Long Island bc he seems to have great patience in educating the consumer and you can possibly find THE diamond there bc he's got some great diamonds www.goodoldgold.com,
4. Visit Superbcert while you are in NYC bc Barry/Judah are located in the diamond district and my beautiful H&A diamond is from them so I def. recommend checking their inventory out. www.superbcert.com

Shopping around is never a bad thing so of course look into other places while you are there but I will say that for such a big purchase, I'd personally go with places people have recommended and at least do your own background research thoroughly so you know a good deal when you see it rather than trust a salesperson.

Enjoy!!!
36.gif

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
DD, also bring print outs with you of stones that look interesting online. In the cut, clarity, price etc. I was armed with lots of print outs. Did the old lets compare this to this, etc. and i also had stones that i was interested in email me the certs fo I have the pix of the inclusions, etc.

I did this before I went so I could have the comparison. He was also able to have some stones that i saw online in house for me by calling him ahead of time.

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
Obviously, bringing the printouts don''t compare to seeing the actual stone. but id does give you a price guage. especially if you have GIA reports with the phots.

There you go, Ultimate and Firenze are right near each other.

What are you looking to upgrade to? Any ideas?

shinythings

Shiny_Rock
Signed Pieces also has a booth on 47th. It''s in the same building as Firenze. I just went there last week and it was great! Make sure to call Mark at engagement rings direct early-he tends to book up.
www.signedpieces.com

Have fun!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I purchased from Michael Jay 5th Ave, www.michaeljay.com and he was wonderful! He also has an online inventory as well as being a B&M, he knows his stuff and takes great care of his clients without a hard sell. I can confidently recommend him!

diamond diva

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the encouraging and positive comments about the Diamond district in NYC!!
We are so looking forward to going to NYC and I was becoming discouraged with all the negativity I was reading about 47th street!
I can hardly wait to go---I"ll be the crazy woman LICKING the windows!!!

Eva- I am looking to either 1) upgrade my stud earrings from 3to5 total carat weight or
2) upgrade my 3 carat emerald cut center stone to 5 carats ( I have a three stone emerald diamond ring 3carat centre 1 carat on each side)
All depends on if I can convince BIG DADDY (my hubbY)

As for broadway, I haven''t seen Mama Mia even though it played here in Toronto for years and then went to NYC.
Last March we saw Jersey Boys and it was absolutely amazing, the main singer sounds more like Frankie Valli than Frankie Valli!!
We are seeing Martin Short and The Wedding Singer this trip.
Have you seen Menopause the Musical? All women should see that -I never laughed so hard and my hubby came away with a new understanding!!!

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
Oh right, I remember.

I voted for the ring upgrade.

Good luck, you have plenty of great references for 47th street now.

David0722

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/26/2006 12:05:15 PM
Author: Rod
I would contact one of the PS Vendors who is constantly receiving high praise on Pricescope, Good Old Gold. They''re on Long Island, but could be well worth the trip from the city. Most people rave about them....
AGREED! Hop on the LIRR and take a ride to Massepequa Park to visit Good Old Gold! You can even call in advance to make an appointment to see some diamonds that you like on their website goodoldgold.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results