shape
carat
color
clarity

diamond bracelet question with links fixed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jeffd

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Sorry for the repost, I tried to edit my post but it didn't seem to work. Anyhow, I've fixed the urls below after reading the html posting guidelines.

I've read through quite a bit of information on this site and dt. I've noticed that most of the conversation is geared towards loose diamonds and e-rings. I'd guess a bracelet with the quality of stone(s) most discussed here would be prohibitively priced for most of us.

Still, I'm in the market for a diamond bracelet for my wife and it's a confusing marketplace out there. I have my eye on these things on ebay for instance:

and would appreciate your thoughts on the value/seller/etc or any advice you may have on buying diamond bracelets in general.

I live near NYC and have occassionally bought at Christie's auctions on the general principle that I'm paying good deal less than retail and market forces will not allow me to overpay (or underpay) for an item. Does that sound about right?

thanks in advance,
jeff
[/u][/u]

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suppose you have noticed this but I am just pointing it out incase it matters maybe you are happy with it, the sapphires are not real sapphires in the second bracelet but manmade (says in the description).

I am a layperson so cannot advise you on the diamonds but I expect the same as you that for precision cut diamonds the cost would be high also the largest stone was 0.40 and I believe certificates are mostly sold with larger stones due to the cost of certificating it. I have seen some smaller ideal cut stones on whiteflash.com but for a bracelet it would probably cost a lot and then there is the setters time.

The first bracelet with the opal if very ornate and would I think appeal to a certain taste, but then you should know your wife's taste better than most.

I hope someone in the trade writes a reply to you as they would know better about buying stones for bracelets than I.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The opal bracelet is for a very limited and definite taste in jewelry. You won't likely see another.... I would be quite concerned with the mention of a "slight repair". Be sure the item is wearable and useable. Repairs have a way of being done badly and making the item into a look only piece. Also, old bracelets tend to be for small wrists. People in 1810 were a lot smaller than they are today. be certain it would fit if it is being bid on to wear.

The other bracelet is not "Pristine" condition. You can readily see the damaged and uneven edge where one of the synthetic sapphires has been replaced or reset. It is a lower, outer edge, directly in the center of one of the upper photographs. It is roughed up and not as well over the stone as the surrounding edges....

These bracelets are nice and far from unusual. Many are in very good condition still. This one may be in very good shape, too, but it is not "pristine". Since that description is not quite on target, I'd suggest taking the rest of the description with due caution. It just makes sense as the owner paid for the appraisal.

Your idea about auctions being relatively safe can be pretty good. A major auction like Christies or Sotheby in NYC is full of very astute buyers. Ebay is full of every kind of buyer, not all astute. You cannot depend on secret bidding as readily as open bidding taking place in an auction room. I admit that telephone bidding casts a veil of suspicion, too, even in the best auctions. At least you see the live bidders either raising their paddle or shaking their heads "no".

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 12/1/2002 10:54:29 AM

Your idea about auctions being relatively safe can be pretty good. A major auction like Christies or Sotheby in NYC is full of very astute buyers. "no".
----------------

...asute buyers who sometimes have more dollars than sense. Many a times I have seen people pay more than retail at an auction - country or Christie's. Conversely, I have seen people get very good bargins (that is why dealers continue to frequent auctions). My point, know your market & your product.

Ebay is a crap shoot. I have purchased junk (not remotely what was described; and, I have purchased items for 1/20th of what I was willing to pay. Either purchase from someone with a good return policy or be willing to take the hit for your mistake. For me as a dealer, it's the cost of doing business.

I would seriously consider visiting local estate jeweler's. Many purchases for my own collection (and some for resale) have come from my local 2 guys - even purchased my new diamond from one of them.

When in doubt, hire an independent appraiser to give you an overview. Good luck.

jeffd

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the advice. The point about auction price > retail price is well taken. I've seen that pattern over and over in my areas of expertise (wine and computers). Before attending an auction, I typically purchase a catalog, price similar items at retail, set a high price and never, ever exceed that price. Unfortunately, with jewelry, I don't have the expertise to evaluate a piece )or the time/desire to acquire the expertise).

I think the recurring themes that I've read in this forum along the lines of independent appraisal and money back guarantee make a lot of sense.

It does seem to me that appraisal for a diamond is somewhat subjective. It would be interesting to send the same set of diamonds to 10 different appraisers to see the spread of prices. Has anyone conducted a study like this?

regards,
jd

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results