shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Advice

WallaForPM

Rough_Rock
Thanks Slege! I’ll wait on the confirmation regarding the felicity ring.
I actually just came into a local chain store to have a look at YG rings with WG heads, and turns out I don’t even mind the contrast in real life. I can barely notice it, it’s just because the websites have such enlarged images I thought the issue was a lot worse.

I'm still sweet on the WF 1.73 K but I can understand the allure of the GIA 1.85 K. Be sure to post the ASET and idealscope images (assuming you get one or both) so we can take a look and confirm there are no issues.

As far as the settings, I agree with you about the WF one's looking much nicer. In regards to the Felicity I think @SimoneDi was saying she wore that Vatche setting (or knew someone that did) and it was uncomfortable. Hoping she will chime in with additional info on it for you.

Right now I'm showing the AUD/USD conversion rate at 1.38 per Google. It's likely a little higher with bank fees. To get an idea of your duties and taxes you can use the JA calculator. Depending where you are located, sometimes you pay less for a loose diamond vs an actual e-ring.

https://www.jamesallen.com/tax-calculator/

FYI, here is how the 1.85 K fairs on the HCA & AGA/NAJA cut calculators.

HCA Calculator:
https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

Capture3.PNG
Capture4.PNG

AGA/NAJA Cut Calculator:
https://www.pricescope.com/tools/AGA_NAJA_Cut_Class_Grader
https://datlas.com/do-it-yourself-aganaja-cut-class-grader/

Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Slege! I’ll wait on the confirmation regarding the felicity ring.
I actually just came into a local chain store to have a look at YG rings with WG heads, and turns out I don’t even mind the contrast in real life. I can barely notice it, it’s just because the websites have such enlarged images I thought the issue was a lot worse.

No problem, glad to help.

Whatever you decide on the setting is cool. I absolutely cannot stand YG although I've seen some pieces in YG that were awesome. It's just not something I like. So I would never buy anything with YG for my girl. Not to say it's wrong....just my preference.

FYI, while browsing for a band for myself I saw this on DK's Instagram page. DK is who custom made my fiancee's setting. His work is awesome and prices are very, very fair. This might be an option for you if you go with the 1.85 K and want a nicer setting.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgOtFmOFItD

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
I also have the same problem with the mix of YG and WG/Platinum in my head, however when I see it in real life I end up thinking it quite cool.

@sledge that is a gorgeously chic setting!!!!

@WallaForPM by this point whichever diamond you choose you be great. I can't wait to see the end product!!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge thanks for tagging me. I confirm that the Felicity setting is extremely uncomfortable. I was interested myself in the setting and had tried it on at IDJ in NYC. I wore it for a good amount of time, but wanted to take it off as soon as I put it on.:D
The Vatche Venus is similar, but with slightly thicker shank. The Varche U113 is my personal favorite, however, and it will look great with YG shank and PT head.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Matilda, I thought it was quite lovely and eloquent myself. And that is from a guy's point of view so take that FWIW. I should clarify though, that is NOT my fiancee's ring. She wanted something much more curvy and different, lol.

I might note the 6 prongs on that setting though. I know there have been some conversations back and forth on which to go. Some benefits to the 6 prongs is it can make the diamond look more round than 4 prongs. Also, the diamond is more secure having 6 prongs vs 4 prongs. While I know this may not matter to many, my fiancee took a girls trip to Boston a few months back and while there she snagged one of the prongs on something and bent it. While no one was happy about the situation, the diamond stayed very secure. I'm not saying this would happen every single time, but both of us were very happy we had went 6 prongs as we felt it "saved" the diamond from being lost.

And you're absolutely welcome @SimoneDi. I'm glad you had time to chime in. Anytime you can get input from someone that has worn the ring and its comfort vs just aesthetics is very helpful in making final decisions, at least in my books.

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
@sledge spot on about the number of prongs creating an illusion of a different shape

I saw that setting for your fiancé! It’s a love story in itself. You are clearly a loving, thoughtful gentleman. It is so unique and absolutely “her” , I am sure her smile is from ear to ear :D

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

WallaForPM

Rough_Rock
Yeh to be honest I think I'll go all WG. I know I'm going to be wearing the ring, but I care too much about what other people think to get a ring that is potentially polarising. I think most people either like or are indifferent towards WG.

Ooooo that does look good! I'll check him out =)2
No problem, glad to help.

Whatever you decide on the setting is cool. I absolutely cannot stand YG although I've seen some pieces in YG that were awesome. It's just not something I like. So I would never buy anything with YG for my girl. Not to say it's wrong....just my preference.

FYI, while browsing for a band for myself I saw this on DK's Instagram page. DK is who custom made my fiancee's setting. His work is awesome and prices are very, very fair. This might be an option for you if you go with the 1.85 K and want a nicer setting.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgOtFmOFItD

WallaForPM

Rough_Rock
Hahah, hopefully it's not too far away. I think for sure we'll get the deposit down on the WF K diamond tomorrow. Got everything crossed it's still there. Otherwise I'll just lock in one of the others with the standard elegant setting in WG.

I also have the same problem with the mix of YG and WG/Platinum in my head, however when I see it in real life I end up thinking it quite cool.

@sledge that is a gorgeously chic setting!!!!

@WallaForPM by this point whichever diamond you choose you be great. I can't wait to see the end product!!

WallaForPM

Rough_Rock
Ooo thanks so much SimoneDi!

That actually makes things heaps easier for me! The Vatche U113 is probably a bit out of my budget, but I love that one!
@sledge thanks for tagging me. I confirm that the Felicity setting is extremely uncomfortable. I was interested myself in the setting and had tried it on at IDJ in NYC. I wore it for a good amount of time, but wanted to take it off as soon as I put it on.:D
The Vatche Venus is similar, but with slightly thicker shank. The Varche U113 is my personal favorite, however, and it will look great with YG shank and PT head.

WallaForPM

Rough_Rock
Ooh! Sounds like an awesome ring? Do you buy any chance have a picture? I'm super boring so definitely wont copy it, I've just developed a love of looking at rings.

Yeh I think I'll go the 6 prongs for that reason and just stick with that Elegant solitaire setting I linked early on. I'm so paranoid about losing the diamond!

Thanks @Matilda, I thought it was quite lovely and eloquent myself. And that is from a guy's point of view so take that FWIW. I should clarify though, that is NOT my fiancee's ring. She wanted something much more curvy and different, lol.

I might note the 6 prongs on that setting though. I know there have been some conversations back and forth on which to go. Some benefits to the 6 prongs is it can make the diamond look more round than 4 prongs. Also, the diamond is more secure having 6 prongs vs 4 prongs. While I know this may not matter to many, my fiancee took a girls trip to Boston a few months back and while there she snagged one of the prongs on something and bent it. While no one was happy about the situation, the diamond stayed very secure. I'm not saying this would happen every single time, but both of us were very happy we had went 6 prongs as we felt it "saved" the diamond from being lost.

And you're absolutely welcome @SimoneDi. I'm glad you had time to chime in. Anytime you can get input from someone that has worn the ring and its comfort vs just aesthetics is very helpful in making final decisions, at least in my books.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooo thanks so much SimoneDi!

That actually makes things heaps easier for me! The Vatche U113 is probably a bit out of my budget, but I love that one!

If you purchase the diamond from WF, they also have in-house settings very similar to the Vatche u113 at a lower price. I would inquire with them.

WallaForPM

Rough_Rock
Okie thanks so much! Will email them about that.

By the way what do you think of the width of the Vatche U113 setting? It's listed as 2.60-2.30 mm, if you could change the width in any way, would you?

If you purchase the diamond from WF, they also have in-house settings very similar to the Vatche u113 at a lower price. I would inquire with them.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okie thanks so much! Will email them about that.

By the way what do you think of the width of the Vatche U113 setting? It's listed as 2.60-2.30 mm, if you could change the width in any way, would you?

I would not change the width. The setting also has a soft knife edge, so from the top it looks thinner, but it is sturdy and made to last. I have had settings with skinnier shanks and I wouldn’t recommend going with something too delicate. Think shanks, especially when with a knife edge. are also much more uncomfortable to wear long term.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A5507A1A-A450-4E89-85EA-D7967B08D83C.jpeg
1.85ct images

FYI, these are H&A images and they confirm symmetry. If you look closely you will see they are not to the precision level of the WF 1.73 K that is a true H&A stone, but it is still very good. The most noteable things being rips in the clefts of the hearts, some pigeon feet is developing on the tips of the heart and the V's that form at the end of the hearts are not even. Additionally on a few of the hearts you can see where one side is slightly shaded more than the other (they should be the same). On the arrows I do not like the paddles that are forming at the 2 and 3 o'clock positions.

But again, I do believe it's still very good and probably a far cry better than anything you have seen locally based on your own descriptions.

What we are lacking is the light performance images. It'd be nice to have both an ASET and Idealscope but either would confirm we don't have any leakage areas. If you can just get one, the ASET tells us more but usually the idealscope is what is provided.

I would like to clarify that while the arrows image looks very similar to the idealscope image, they do different things. Arrows images confirms symmetry. Idealscope will pick up light leakage. Arrows images show the arrows as white and idealscope images show the arrows as black. Additionally, the idealscope image we want a nice solid red color. Signs of light pink or white indicate leakage which means there is a dead spot in the diamond that isn't reflecting light properly.

I don't anticipate this stone will have major issues based on what we've seen thus far. If you can't get these other images and you decide to buy it, I would encourage you to pick up a handheld ASET scope (about $50) so you can examine the diamond when it arrives. If you see leakage, then be prepared to send it back.

Hahah, hopefully it's not too far away. I think for sure we'll get the deposit down on the WF K diamond tomorrow. Got everything crossed it's still there. Otherwise I'll just lock in one of the others with the standard elegant setting in WG.

I'm so confused. Have you now decided to go back to the WF 1.73 K stone? Obviously I'm okay with whatever you decide, it just seemed you were fairly certain about the GIA 1.85 K stone. If you are doing WF ignore my comments above.

Ooh! Sounds like an awesome ring? Do you buy any chance have a picture? I'm super boring so definitely wont copy it, I've just developed a love of looking at rings.

Thank you! It was a work of labor and love that is for sure, lol. Here are a few pics. Nothing even close to what you are looking at but DK did do the work and we have been very pleased. For reference, the pave portion of the ring is either 1.70 or 1.80 mm. The very bottom of the ring after it all Y's together is 2.30mm but you can't really see that in the picture.

I'm attaching one of the many CAD's I received when designing it. It makes sense of some of the dimensions I was spouting off above. FYI, this particular CAD shows a wedding band which we haven't decided on yet. We started the discussion, then life took over. The wedding is nearing in April so we started re-discussing the past week.

DKJPV_0629_WR-1.jpg
DKJPV_0629_WR-4.jpg
DKJPV_0629_WR-6.jpg

44836-quad-A.jpg

WallaForPM

Rough_Rock
Thanks Sledge!!
Yep I have decided to stick with the WF 1.73 stone permitted it’s still there tomorrow when my partner gets back (mostly because of the quality of the settings). But they sent me through those 1.85 ct images after I made that decision, so I thought I’d just post them here incase the other stone was gone or something happened.

Woah!! That looks incredible!! I’m already so overwhelmed by this process I can’t them imagine going on to design a ring!
And congrats on the beating wedding! If I’m still kicking around on PS I’ll keep an eye out for pics of the wedding band with the ER.

Again thanks so much for all your help :)

FYI, these are H&A images and they confirm symmetry. If you look closely you will see they are not to the precision level of the WF 1.73 K that is a true H&A stone, but it is still very good. The most noteable things being rips in the clefts of the hearts, some pigeon feet is developing on the tips of the heart and the V's that form at the end of the hearts are not even. Additionally on a few of the hearts you can see where one side is slightly shaded more than the other (they should be the same). On the arrows I do not like the paddles that are forming at the 2 and 3 o'clock positions.

But again, I do believe it's still very good and probably a far cry better than anything you have seen locally based on your own descriptions.

What we are lacking is the light performance images. It'd be nice to have both an ASET and Idealscope but either would confirm we don't have any leakage areas. If you can just get one, the ASET tells us more but usually the idealscope is what is provided.

I would like to clarify that while the arrows image looks very similar to the idealscope image, they do different things. Arrows images confirms symmetry. Idealscope will pick up light leakage. Arrows images show the arrows as white and idealscope images show the arrows as black. Additionally, the idealscope image we want a nice solid red color. Signs of light pink or white indicate leakage which means there is a dead spot in the diamond that isn't reflecting light properly.

I don't anticipate this stone will have major issues based on what we've seen thus far. If you can't get these other images and you decide to buy it, I would encourage you to pick up a handheld ASET scope (about $50) so you can examine the diamond when it arrives. If you see leakage, then be prepared to send it back.

I'm so confused. Have you now decided to go back to the WF 1.73 K stone? Obviously I'm okay with whatever you decide, it just seemed you were fairly certain about the GIA 1.85 K stone. If you are doing WF ignore my comments above.

Thank you! It was a work of labor and love that is for sure, lol. Here are a few pics. Nothing even close to what you are looking at but DK did do the work and we have been very pleased. For reference, the pave portion of the ring is either 1.70 or 1.80 mm. The very bottom of the ring after it all Y's together is 2.30mm but you can't really see that in the picture.

I'm attaching one of the many CAD's I received when designing it. It makes sense of some of the dimensions I was spouting off above. FYI, this particular CAD shows a wedding band which we haven't decided on yet. We started the discussion, then life took over. The wedding is nearing in April so we started re-discussing the past week.

DKJPV_0629_WR-1.jpg
DKJPV_0629_WR-4.jpg
DKJPV_0629_WR-6.jpg

44836-quad-A.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results