shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond advice

wns198

Rough_Rock
Hi there

I've got a choice between two princess cut diamonds for an engagement ring (unfortunately I'm not able to view them as I'm buying them online). Their vital statistics are as follows:

0.92 Carat, VVS1, F colour, very good polish, 1.01 L/W ratio (5.50 x 5.53x3.75mm) Depth 70.5% Table 71.0%
0.85 Carat, VVS2, F colour, excellent polish, 1.00 L/W ratio (5.15 x 5.17x3.87mm) Depth 72.8% Table 70.0%

The larger diamond is about £600 more expensive - with your experience would the two be noticeably different in size/sparkle, or are you genuinely getting that much more 'bang for your buck'?

Any help would be really appreciated!!

Thank you.

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not enough information to judge.

Which lab graded these stones? Only AGS grades the cut performance of princess, without which I would at least perfer to see an ASET image of the stone before deciding.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I would look for an online vendor who provides images and ASET images, or else shop for AGS0 princesses.

wns198

Rough_Rock
Hi there

They are GIA certified - I assumed that would be the best lab to go with? Do you think AGS would be a better bet?

Really sorry - bit of a novice at this!

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
What is your budget for the diamond? I also think you could go down in clarity vvs is over kill you could go lower in clarity with it still being eyeclean and probably afford a larger stone :appl:

wns198

Rough_Rock
Hello

My budget's around £3,500 - if I can get away with a lower clarity then that's great news. Assuming a VS2 is clean enough for a princess cut then I can get a lot more for my money (I can even reach a carat)! Would it effect the sparkle factor though?

Thank you again! :D

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Clarity is completely independent of sparkle, unless you are talking about some rare situations with SI2 level inclusions. You can *easily* go with a VS2 and be safe knowing you will not see inclusions.

You could also likely go with a G color or even H and be very happy, especially in the under 1ct range.

GIA is a very good lab but they do not grade cut quality, and with princess cuts yo ucannot judge based on the table and depth alone. AGS provides a cut quality grade, so looking for a AGS0 graded princess, rated ideal for cut, is the best way to get a really sparkly stone.

Are you comfortable buying online from a vendor in the US? If so, can you provide you budget in US dollars and desired color/clarity and size and we can suggest some options for you.

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring
    Archduchess Eleonore von Habsburg and Jérôme d’Ambrosio Royal Wedding
    Archduchess Eleonore von Habsburg and Jérôme d’Ambrosio Royal Wedding
    August Birthstone 2020: Peridot
    August Birthstone 2020: Peridot

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.