shape
carat
color
clarity

DH is softening the upgrade time...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
A bit of history: DH has a bit of a difficult time dealing with the idea of an upgrade since the day we bought my e-ring. So I mention it on occasion, speaking of it in vague terms years down the road, like twenty years (we were just married in August), and that I want to keep my current center stone and turn it into a necklace because I adore it and it''s sentimental and he''s sort of bought into that.

So last night we went to dinner and DH mentioned making an appt. with the jeweler to get my head replaced on my e-ring (it''s been fixed improperly and I want 4 prongs instead of 6). And I start teasing him about upgrades, that I "only" (said with sarcasm, but truth!) want a 1.6 carat stone and that there are some predictions that the price of diamonds may go down in the next two years. So he says to me "we''ll just have to see how it goes, but we''ll look into it and in 5 or 10 years we can get your ring upgraded." But then he told me he thinks diamonds are going to be taken away like gold was due to the way they are farmed, which really depressed me, even if it''s not true.

Point to post, he''s lowered my wait time by 1/2 and perhaps even 3/4!!!!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well if it makes you feel any better, my hubby only agreed to upgrade my .25 diamond if he could get a PS3 and a huge tv!!

You need to find his weak spot and go for the kill
31.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 11:59:43 AM
Author: Maisiebelle
Well if it makes you feel any better, my hubby only agreed to upgrade my .25 diamond if he could get a PS3 and a huge tv!!

You need to find his weak spot and go for the kill
31.gif
DH is so conservative when it comes to spending money and he is not an electronics lover so that doesn't work in our household, unfortunately. His favorite thing to do is travel, and I love to as well, so I can't exactly tempt him with that, because we travel all the time (at least 6 times a year) so it wouldn't be something new for him. The only thing that would work is a second car for him (he drives a huge truck as he needs it for work and had to sell his "fun" car when we got married), but I brought it up last night that in 2009 he should buy a new Camero. He said no, he doesn't want to. GRRR! Plot foiled.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aww well it was worth a try. In a way though its good that he is money minded. I bet you don''t go without anything you need........

Just think, when you do get it you will be so excited! And we will no doubt all still be here and be excited with you.
1.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kimberly, I think it''s a VERY positive thing that your DH brought up going to the jeweler in the first place!

Just keep working him on that Camero--I bet he''ll come around!
31.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe kimberly, slow and sure wins the upgrade race!!

you said:
But then he told me he thinks diamonds are going to be taken away like gold was due to the way they are farmed...

can you expound on that? do you mean physically taken away or ? i'm not a history person...hhee.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do the same thing. I like to wear him down slowly
2.gif
When I first mentioned that I wanted a really nice piece of jewelry for my 30th birthday (OVER 3 years away, haha) he rolled his eyes and pointed to my e-ring and said no more jewelry for me for a long time
20.gif
Then I told him the budget I had in mind and he said "oh, that''s not so bad." Months later I was teasing him about it and he said it was fine! EEEHHHH! I think I can even up the budget
27.gif
He understands how much a love jewelry and kind of thinks I am pathetic for planning something 3 years ahead of time but sometimes the searching is as good as the getting. I love to plan and really think about what I want. Plus when I do this sometimes he starts to think it was his idea to begin with. I am fine with that!!!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 1:02:31 PM
Author: Mara

you said:
But then he told me he thinks diamonds are going to be taken away like gold was due to the way they are farmed...

can you expound on that? do you mean physically taken away or ? i''m not a history person...hhee.
Mara,

In the 1930''s Roosevelt confiscated all privately owned gold to build up the Federal Reserve. People were compensated for their gold, but not at a fair price and FDR was eventually labeled a thief for his actions.

J is surmising that due the issues with the way diamonds are obtained (minus non-conflict diamonds) will be confiscated for the greater good of society. I have no idea what he based this on, he most likely just said it to tease me.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Tacori: I told John he should be thankful that the upgrade I want is smaller than some people''s first engagement stone. He finds my love of diamonds very amusing.

Maise: We are definitely in good financial standing because he is conservative. But I am as well. I don''t feel guilty about wanting to upgrade because I am not a shopper, I don''t love bags or shoes in excess and I''m very frugal when I do shop; I am always on the lookout for a bargain. I can''t recall the last time I paid full price for a retail purchase.

DeeJay: Mentioning the jeweler trip is positive, it''s the one thing I requested for Valentine''s day and he''s been pro-active in getting the appointment made, which makes me happy. He always plays the "which do you like best in this case" game when we visit the jeweler too! I''m pretty lucky in that regard. As for the Camero, I can''t imagine he won''t cave and buy it for himself. He always had two vehicles before we were married but gave one up so I could quit my full-time job, return to school and substitute part time. It was extremely generous of him and the Camero is well deserved! I''ve got 2 years to convince him.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 1:34:36 PM
Author: KimberlyH

you said:

can you expound on that? do you mean physically taken away or ? i''m not a history person...hhee.
Mara,

In the 1930''s Roosevelt confiscated all privately owned gold to build up the Federal Reserve. People were compensated for their gold, but not at a fair price and FDR was eventually labeled a thief for his actions.

J is surmising that due the issues with the way diamonds are obtained (minus non-conflict diamonds) will be confiscated for the greater good of society. I have no idea what he based this on, he most likely just said it to tease me.
HAH If they tried to get me to turn my diamond in..well lets just say it would definitely be pried off my cold dead hand.
3.gif

How did they get people to give up their gold?? I would also imagine diamonds have such sentimental value for people in general that there''d be riots...people sometimes DIE for their jewelry aka when a robber confronts them...I would imagine even being compensated wouldn''t make it happen.

Nice try John!!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 2:09:30 PM

you said:

Mara,

HAH If they tried to get me to turn my diamond in..well lets just say it would definitely be pried off my cold dead hand.
3.gif

How did they get people to give up their gold?? I would also imagine diamonds have such sentimental value for people in general that there''d be riots...people sometimes DIE for their jewelry aka when a robber confronts them...I would imagine even being compensated wouldn''t make it happen.

Nice try John!!
A law was put into effect, that is still on the books, that all people (aside from dentists and a few other select groups) had to turn in their gold. Any gold stored in bank vaults was made inaccessible accept to the IRS, that was the most common place for people to store their privately owned gold.

dmbfan

Shiny_Rock

you said:

Mara,

Kim,

you need to use that!!! I think he has a great point and that diamonds might become obsolete in less amount of time then that. Use the supply and demand argument and you would rather buy a diamond now. If this is the case, prices will go up... buy now
17.gif
2.gif
17.gif
2.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I should have paid more attention in history class.
2.gif
Of course, I don''t remember being taught anything as interesting as gold thievery!!!

I do think it''s a good thing that at least he brought up a sooner timeline himself. Don''t worry...like water erodes rocks...time will erode his resolve.
9.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 2:46:54 PM
Author: FireGoddess
I should have paid more attention in history class.
2.gif
Of course, I don''t remember being taught anything as interesting as gold thievery!!!

I do think it''s a good thing that at least he brought up a sooner timeline himself. Don''t worry...like water erodes rocks...time will erode his resolve.
9.gif
tee hee hee!! Thanks for the laugh.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 2:30:08 PM
Author: dmbfan

you said:

Mara,

Kim,

you need to use that!!! I think he has a great point and that diamonds might become obsolete in less amount of time then that. Use the supply and demand argument and you would rather buy a diamond now. If this is the case, prices will go up... buy now
17.gif
2.gif
17.gif
2.gif
I never know if he''s teasing me or serious when he comes up with such things. He is brilliant, and his business requires him to be in the know about all things business so he could be pulling my leg or he could be quite serious in thinking that diamonds will become obsolete.

Perhaps I will have to turn this around on him!

metro

Brilliant_Rock
My DH is the same way
38.gif
The only upgrade I was able to get was new halo setting, which I love, so it''s win/win.
2.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 3:26:47 PM
Author: metro
My DH is the same way
38.gif
The only upgrade I was able to get was new halo setting, which I love, so it''s win/win.
2.gif
I love his sentimentality, except when it doesn''t serve my purpose!
2.gif
That doesn''t happen too often, so I have no right to complain.

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
Kimberly,...........

Maybe your Hubby is concerned about the price of the car and that it will sit in the driveway a lot.

Maybe instead of a new Camaro, find him a neat older Camaro. Look around at pricing. See how much they cost. Then save up a little car fund.

We love older cars and had always wanted a Camaro. There's something about the 3rd Generation models we found particularly appealing. Especially one with ground effects. We found a one owner, late '80's, 3rd Gen about 5-6 years ago that we bought.

We have great fun with it the every once in a while when we want to go out and hit the road. We even put a louder Flow Master muffler on it to give it a little "Muscle Car" sound. This way, we don't have to worry with payments for a new/newer model and it doesn't matter that it sits a lot.
2.gif

dmbfan

Shiny_Rock
Kim,

Ironically I just got off the phone with a customer that recently moved jobs from one of the bigger Diamonds distributor in my area. We got into a discussion on the dimond industry and he went on on how consumers dont educate themselves (unless you visit sites like this, ofcourse). During the conversation he mention how diamond prices are on the way down and I thought of you after this thread. I didn''t want to prove to much because it didn''t have anything to do with what we were doing. I thought it was interesting that he said that today. I will be speaking with him later on this week and might try to get some more info.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
FN: I love that idea. Perhaps I can start saving a bit for a fun car and see if he goes for it down the line when I present him with the money I''ve set aside. I''ll chew on this idea a bit!

DMB: Dig for more info!!! A thread here discussed the possibility of prices going down 20% or something like that in the next few years.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I think the whole idea of jewelry scares men. They don''t understand why we want it and they think it costs too much money. You are doing the right thing Kimberly by planting the seeds of an upgrade in his mind and then bringing it up again just now and then (not too often). After a while it just becomes a given in their mind. And anything they want that can be used to help them understand what you want is also a good tool.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 8:27:14 PM
Author: Sundial
I think the whole idea of jewelry scares men. They don''t understand why we want it and they think it costs too much money. You are doing the right thing Kimberly by planting the seeds of an upgrade in his mind and then bringing it up again just now and then (not too often). After a while it just becomes a given in their mind. And anything they want that can be used to help them understand what you want is also a good tool.
I agree Sundial. Planting those seeds are key. That''s what I did Kimberly, had no idea he was even paying attention to what I was saying. But it worked!!! Glad he''s up for it sooner than later!!!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

you said:

Mara,

I think he''s teasing. diamonds have never nor will they ever be traded as a commody like Gold or other metals. their value is somewhat based on brillant marketing by debeers and those of us who will pay a lot of money for a sparkly rock, myself included
37.gif

I agree with the planting seeds and moving in small steps and timelines. Hubby first didn''t want me to change my ring, then I got him to agree to a new setting, fastforward 2 years and he bought me a new diamond. of course our finances had a lot to do with the timetable and making sure the subject was only brought up when I knew we could financially handle it was important too.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kimberely,
I laugh because my husband is the same exact way. Just take baby steps; that always works for me. Best wishes!!!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
It''s all about those baby steps. I definitely wouldn''t bring it up if our financial situation was not good. I am lucky to live as comfortably as we do and that an ugrade is even a possibility!

mrs.salvo, I think he was meaning to say that because of the state of so many countries in Africa, due in part to diamond mining and conflict diamonds, we may be cut off from purchasing those that cannot be verified as non-conflict. Whether he was teasing or not is a different story, but it does seem like a viable possibility in light of all that is going on in the world.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 9:55:51 PM

mrs.salvo, I think he was meaning to say that because of the state of so many countries in Africa, due in part to diamond mining and conflict diamonds, we may be cut off from purchasing those that cannot be verified as non-conflict. Whether he was teasing or not is a different story, but it does seem like a viable possibility in light of all that is going on in the world.

well then I think you should definitely upgrade sooner rather than later, just in case
11.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 10:13:59 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Date: 2/6/2007 9:55:51 PM

well then I think you should definitely upgrade sooner rather than later, just in case
11.gif
Me too! At dinner I told him I was thrilled to get to post that my upgrade was coming sooner than I thought and we discussed what he meant. He said he believes it will come down to who is stronger, DeBeers and the marketing inudstry or Bono who said anyone who buys a conflict diamond is morally bankrupt (I''m paraphrasing here!).

I also mentioned that I heard more about prices going down over the next few years (thanks dmbfan!) and he said "we''ll just have to see!" It just keeps getting better!!!! (Or worse if I am to be haunted by Bono''s remarks)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 2:09:30 PM

you said:

Mara,

3.gif

Nice try John!!
just last year some people had found some old gold coins that were *extremely* rare and sent them to the mint to be authenticated and they were confiscated for being stolen or something but some guy just buried them in his wall or something and hid them... I never did see how that concluded....

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i thought that each person was exempt gold valuing $100. or if rare or unusual coins were collected they could keep them. the law said they were to be equally compensated don''t know if that happened or not. there are lots of gold coins out there. i don''t think that there will ever be a law to take diamond engagement or wedding jewelry. it would cause a major rebellion, imho.

i am glad you brought this up. i am interested in history and want to read about it now. thanks.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 12:48:56 AM
Author: crown1
i thought that each person was exempt gold valuing $100. or if rare or unusual coins were collected they could keep them. the law said they were to be equally compensated don''t know if that happened or not. there are lots of gold coins out there. i don''t think that there will ever be a law to take diamond engagement or wedding jewelry. it would cause a major rebellion, imho.

i am glad you brought this up. i am interested in history and want to read about it now. thanks.
I remember the history of this vaguely, so you might want to verify facts but I believe some coin collectors were allowed to keep their collections and dentists could keep gold, so what it equated to was keeping the rich rich and taking away from those who weren''t, there were a few other groups that were allowed to keep their gold. They we''re compensated but at a price that wasn''t fair. FDR had the gov''t purchase the gold at a low rate and then sold it at a much higher rate. Okay, I looked it up, the gov''t confiscated the gold and paid $20.67 per ounce and then charged $35.

I don''t think DH was implying that someone would come and take each diamonds from people who owned them, but that perhaps at some point the sale of diamonds in the US that could not be proved non-conflict would cease to improve relations with the rest of the world, and help put an end to the issues in Africa.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results