shape
carat
color
clarity

Design Help

dmndnwb

Rough_Rock
So me and my girlfriend recently began looking for an engagement ring and boy have we been overwhelmed. There are so many beautiful rings to choose from it makes it difficult to choose just one. The problem we have run in to is the fact that my gfs fingers are so skinny and most of the rings are so big that they just do not look right on her hand. She fell in love with the MaeVona ScotaSay ring which has two pear shaped diamonds on the side. There is only two problems: 1st the cost of the ring is nearly 3500 2nd the ring is made to hold a 1 carat or larger diamond. I am looking at getting around a .70 point center stone. So that stone would not fit into this particular setting. So my question is would it be possible/cheaper to have someone custom design a ring similar to the MaeVona style and if so is there anyone that you guys would recommend?

SCOTASAY.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
what specifically did she like about the setting? it should be no problem to get a 3-stone ring with pear sidestones but a designer cannot exactly copy a design, so you would need to make some changes.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Vatche 3 stone with pear sides is very beautiful:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/beautiful-vatche-3-stone-ring-thanks-to-ps-and-i-d-jewelry.110097/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/beautiful-vatche-3-stone-ring-thanks-to-ps-and-i-d-jewelry.110097/[/URL]

Brian Gavin: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5367

You do sort of have to keep in mind that proportions may change and it may not look the same with a smaller center stone. In some ways I think a three-stone with rounds works a little better for side pears. here are some of those in case she wants to consider them:

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/search.htm?t=three-stone

dmndnwb

Rough_Rock
She likes the way that the side stones are placed. How they seem to be floating for lack of better terms. She has looked at the Scott Kay crown setting with the round side stones and liked it also. Also the criss/cross shape of the prongs on the scotasay was something she liked. The problem with most rings is that the shank seems to be to thick for her nimble fingers.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
it should be easy to find a ring with a thinner shank! my ring is a custom 3-stone with pears and the shank tapers from 2.4 mm to 1.6 mm. I find it very comfortable to wear. if your GF likes the way the pears are 'floating' you should be able to accomplish this with a different setting, my first set of CADs had this

my ring

BrianGavin_SqHearts2b_070160_0.jpg

first set of CADs
slg47cadsring1209u.jpg

dmndnwb

Rough_Rock
Very Nice. Where did you have your ring made? And do you have a ballpark price for a custom design like this?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I had my ring made at BGD (Brian Gavin Diamonds). They have several 3-stone with pears designs on their website, and they can modify them and create CADs so you can see what the finished product will look like. My ring was $2300 in platinum (including the pear sidestones and including return overnight shipping).

stci

Ideal_Rock
I think this type of ring is the worst difficult to wear for a petite finger. If you choose too big center stone, the pears will pass over the other fingers. Pretty sure slg can explain correctly what I want to say. What is the size ring of your lady?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sylvie, he said in the first post that he was looking at .70 for the center stone, so the ring should work for a smaller finger. :))

I love slg's setting and think it would be beautiful! You'd probably have slightly smaller sidestones for a .70, but I am not sure of the diameter of slg's center stone since it is a square hearts and arrows. Sometimes cushions face-up smaller than rounds so the proportions might be close to what you'd be looking at. I would certainly buy my center stone there if you decide to go with that ring.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I think you can get a three-stone that is comfortable-the width of my cushion is similar to a 0.7 carat diamond, and I wear a ring size 5. you can also get 'shorter' pears, and since you will see CADs beforehand, you can get an idea of the overall proportions.

of course if she wears a size 2, that might not work :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results