shape
carat
color
clarity

Depth/Table debate!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

moolie26

Rough_Rock
Hi All-

Ive been a casual oberver on this forum for a while with the occasional post. Though i have learned alot, along the way, through my crash course in diamond education courtesy of pricescope...each new door opened seemed to always create a new question.

To my point of this post..I have been looking at the different cut characterisics of round well cut diamonds, and though many factors aside from depth/table influence a diamonds brilliance, i have noticed that stones with an approx 60/61 depth and 56 table and good crown/pavilion angles are considered in the upper echelon of well cut stones. As such i have focused my diamond research within these parameters.

As soon as i thought i had it figured, i have been told that stones that have similar depth/table percentages (ie 60%/60%) with good crown/pavilion angles exhibit very high if not equally high brilliance as well.

In general, i believe in the concept of you "pay for what you get" and the concept of getting a "steal" in the diamond trade as a consumer is not that common. As such, price can be used as a benchmark of the quality of stone you are getting, in some aspects. I have seen that the 60/56 depth table combo''s rank as some of the higher priced stones...but the 60/60 stones seem to be priced equally.

Now i''m back to square one....if im focusing most of my research using the internet and as such comparing figures rather than physically seeing the stone, and my goal is to find a cut that ranks at the top of its class, where should i focus my attention???? Are these two combinations neck and neck in terms of brilliance or is it a matter of which way you look at "ideal" cut through American "eyes" or International "eyes"??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Your initial finding of the 56 table, 60-61% depth range is probably going to be a very slightly more brilliant stone. The latter stone, the 60/60 type is probably going to be only very slightly different in brightness, but may have a tiny bit more diameter at the same carat weight as the 56/60 type.

Now, some prefer ultimate brilliancy above all else. Others accept or desire fine brilliancy and a bit more diameter, too. Buying diamonds generally is a complex set of decisions to do with how to get a great look for the money you can afford to spend. Few people can afford a D flawless in any size they may want. For everyone else there will be compromises to make in color, clarity, weight, and cut quality. How to balance those tasks and come out with a diamond that pleases YOU is challenging if you take it seriously. For many the task is easy because they are impulsive buyers and/or very trusting customers. Those who are cautious, calculating or simply suspicious find the task of picking a diamond much more of a challenge.

While I personally prefer a diamond with very good brilliancy and a bit added diameter, the popular diamonds sold on the Internet today are pretty much no compromise stones in terms of brilliancy and fine cutting.

You ought to look at some 60/60 diamonds and some 56/60-61 stones in person before you make up your mind. Buying with your eyes versus buying blindly has a lot of merit.

kmasciarelli

Rough_Rock
I live not far from you in South Jersey and your business appraised my last diamond which was very comforting after my fiance at the time had bought it from reputable and supposed friend of a friend in a mall.The diamond was the quality they said but he had paid much more than he should have. This time I have been doing research and was hoping you could maybe suggest a reputable jeweler in the Philadelphia/South Jersey area that I could visit. Do not want to over pay again-which can be very difficult in this market. I am looking at 2.25ct diamonds. Also, do you do laser inscription of diamonds? Thank you for your help

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very well said Dave!
appl.gif

My stone was bought online. I did look at some stones locally that was not in the ideal range that looked very nice. That was **before** I started looking at stone with H&A patterns. Once I picked up on those arrows, that was it, I was turned on. haha The other reason for buying online, cheaper Ideal stone, & MUCH cheaper than a "good" cut stone locally. That hooked me too. ;-) Also, I was only looking at tables of 56/57 with depth of 60/61. It seemed easier to just stick with those parimeters since I could not see the stone. I was not disappointed & my stone scored very well on the BScope. More importantly, when I saw it for the 1st time, I was speechless.

If the stones you are contemplating can be viewed in person, then go for it. If the price is right for either stone, then go for it. In the end, you will have bought a great stone. Just have confidence in what you've learned here.
2.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Really, I avoid recommending jewelers. We want to stay out of the fray in this regard. There are many wonderful people in the retail end of the diamond business either with stores or on the Internet. Very few screw people in price or description, but a small minority have everyone very worried. It is a shame, but there is no way to make every bad guy go away. Whenever one quits, another jumps in to take their place, it seems.

Shop price with the pricescope search ability. TRhen shop the local sellers with a ton of pricing knowledge already in hand. You can do very well when you know what's up in advance.

We can assist you in your final decidion process BEFORE you pay for the diamond, so don't be pressured.

yikes

Rough_Rock
Look with your E-Y-E-S...and, look at lots of diamonds in lots of places...get to know them...everyone wants your business...

kmasciarelli

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your response. I get a little worried because you get quoted a price and when they find out what another jeweler has quoted you, at first they get a little defensive like what cut, depth pavilion etc, and when they can tell you know what you are talking about the price gets lower to meet the last jeweler you spoke too.I have all the print outs from this site etc,but it still is a little overwhelming. In philadelphia, jewelers row, I did originally want a vs,1 or vs2 g, or H 2.25 carat, was quoted $21-26,000. As I was leaving he told me 15,000 for an SI,1 I color. A jeweler out of state, who volunteered alot of info and knowledge said 10-10,500 for si2, h color very good cut, Gia cert. Now my regular jeweler said they can match that price when a few months ago, verbally the said a much higher piece. The problem with the out of state jeweler is I can't see what I am getting and not sure of setting yet even though he will send it to me before I pay-if don't like send it back.But if I have a future problem he is far away. Is the problem that there is such a mark up and if you don't research you would pay the price? All of the discrepancies makes me nervous.Sorry for the long reply but would appreciate your insight.
twirl.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
KM many people don't research. That is why so many 'highly reputed' B&M's charge $10k for a 1c G VS or similar stone and people buy. Not even a great cut! But they offer knowledge and most likely their store is nice and they offer a lifetime warranty and they set people at ease. Alot of this type of purchase is about emotion. No one wants to have a bad experience and they also want to feel comfortable with who they trust with their money.

Do the research on Pscope and be sure you are researching well cut stones and not just the typical Pricescope stones that come up in a generic search. Use the 'Cut Quality' search tool on the homepage as those will be what excellently cut stones go for or SHOULD. Then use that knowledge to shop the stores if you want to purchase offline. Tell them you know you can get an XYZ online and its going to be AMAZING, and you want them to match it or you'll take your business online. They will either jump or they won't. Don't be timid while shopping and don't be afraid to use your knowledge. Diamonds don't have an 'average' price, hence jewelers can highball or lowball with whoever they want, they can make up a lower sale on the next customer etc.

good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results