shape
carat
color
clarity

Delicious OMC stones - HG status w/ videos!!! Help!

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Hi folks! I'm back to PS-land after quite a long hiatus. I'm currently looking to buy an amazing OMC and have found what I believe are two great options!

I don't want to share too many specifics right now, but here is what I'm deciding between...and also attaching a couple videos.

Does anyone have thoughts??

Option 1: 5ct-ish
  • M / VS2 - I'm told it faces up a few shades whiter and is 100% eye clean
  • Slightly elongated cushion and symmetrical
  • 52% table, not deep or shallow
  • Supposedly a rare unicorn of an old cut
https://vimeo.com/user118715100/review/434156097/3c28d3b125

Option 2: 6ct-ish
  1. Estimated OP / SI2 but SO WHITE in person and no visible inclusions
  2. Rounder in shape with some cool quirky edges
  3. Spready stone - and it's already over 6ct :lol:
  4. Don't have exact dimensions but table looks to be around 56-67%
  5. More expensive (but not a ton and a really good deal)

Please let me know any thoughts you might have. I'm having such a hard time choosing!

Can't wait to show you guys the final product, I think this is going to be HG status all the way!! ;)2

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Links aren’t working

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sadly, the videos don't come up for me. Is this to be for a replacement engagement ring?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At first glance, I am going to say I prefer option one as it is whiter. Not sure how color sensitive you are or how much the size difference means to you. They are both beautiful diamonds though! Are you leaning one way or another?

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
At first glance, I am going to say I prefer option one as it is whiter. Not sure how color sensitive you are or how much the size difference means to you. They are both beautiful diamonds though! Are you leaning one way or another?

I am color sensitive in RB cuts, however I do think these old antique cuts look amazing with some warmth! The OP has very slight fluorescence which may be why it looks a lot whiter than I expected. The jeweler thinks it faces up like an L...

I am truly torn. I'm tempted to go with the 5ct, as there is a refund policy if I don't like it. I haven't seen it in person but it looks and sounds amazing enough to give it a shot.

The 6ct is just an amazing dream stone, and I would never have imagined having something that magnificent. :lol:

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
I am color sensitive in RB cuts, however I do think these old antique cuts look amazing with some warmth! The OP has very slight fluorescence which may be why it looks a lot whiter than I expected. The jeweler thinks it faces up like an L...

I am truly torn. I'm tempted to go with the 5ct, as there is a refund policy if I don't like it. I haven't seen it in person but it looks and sounds amazing enough to give it a shot.

The 6ct is just an amazing dream stone, and I would never have imagined having something that magnificent. :lol:

The jeweler with the 6ct has a trade in policy and would work with me if I ever wanted something different. So no real loss there either. I think the OP just scares me in concept...

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The jeweler with the 6ct has a trade in policy and would work with me if I ever wanted something different. So no real loss there either. I think the OP just scares me in concept...

I get it. It is a beautiful stone but the color - or the letters - make you think hmmm would this work for me all the time? Color is such a personal thing and some can appreciate the shape and faceting more than the color. It probably depends too on how you are thinking of setting it. I don’t envy you the decision but either way, you will end up with a beautiful diamond!

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I really did intend to answer this thread earlier but when I saw the videos my eyeballs popped right out of my head and rolled around on the floor. It took me a while to get myself together again.
I like the color and shape on 1 but the cut is a bit more attractive to my eye on 2.
I don’t think either one would be a mistake!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How ‘set in stone’ is the trade in policy for the 6ct stone vendor? If that’s really important to you? I’d be cautious if it’s just a gentleman’s agreement type thing. But really, if a vendor decides to change their policy - what can one really do?
I think they both look lovely, but the video environments aren’t similar between the two stones, so I don’t know if that is giving an ‘unfair‘ advantage to lead me to prefer option 2

Both are lovely!

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
How ‘set in stone’ is the trade in policy for the 6ct stone vendor? If that’s really important to you? I’d be cautious if it’s just a gentleman’s agreement type thing. But really, if a vendor decides to change their policy - what can one really do?
I think they both look lovely, but the video environments aren’t similar between the two stones, so I don’t know if that is giving an ‘unfair‘ advantage to lead me to prefer option 2

Both are lovely!

I don't think it's a written policy. This is a well-respected jeweler though and I do believe they'd work with me on a trade in the future. Not that I'd need one...except if I couldn't handle wearing that beast long-term. hahaha

Honestly I think the videos they sent of Option 1 are not the best. I respect this person's opinion and he said this is a rare and amazing cut. The lighting on Option 2 was really good and of course seeing it on the hand is always nice. :)

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
I really did intend to answer this thread earlier but when I saw the videos my eyeballs popped right out of my head and rolled around on the floor. It took me a while to get myself together again.
I like the color and shape on 1 but the cut is a bit more attractive to my eye on 2.
I don’t think either one would be a mistake!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Amazing. Yeah I get it...that's how I felt trying on the big bertha. I think I need to get Option 1 in my hands so I can do a fair comparison!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are both very beautiful. I think I prefer 1. I am not that color sensitive but O-P might be too tinted for me. I own an M and am happy with it but I don't think I'd want to go lower. I really like the shape too, kind of an elongated cushion, which I think will be flatttering on the hand. JMO, you can't go wrong with either one!

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
They are both very beautiful. I think I prefer 1. I am not that color sensitive but O-P might be too tinted for me. I own an M and am happy with it but I don't think I'd want to go lower. I really like the shape too, kind of an elongated cushion, which I think will be flatttering on the hand. JMO, you can't go wrong with either one!

Yes these are my thoughts exactly ...and I agree that the shape might be lovey on option 1 as well. I think I’m going to order it for inspection and see if I fall in love...

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The faceting on 1 is beautiful. However, I love the shape of 2. And the less elongated shape seems to result in a more sparkly diamond. I mean that when I see the facets of the elongated shape, the primary east west facet seems to dominate. At least that's what my eyes focus on. The more round (less elongated) shape allows all the facets to pop more.

BTW, love your VC ring still, and the SS halo as well. Read your threads a million times.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree with Junie. I think you cannot go wrong with either but I prefer one for the faceting and color and shape. Definitely HG potential for both though. Good luck and please come back with photos. :love:

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Both of these look beautiful, but finding the stone that speaks to you is most important. I am excited that you are thinking of ordering the first one; I prefer that one for color and shape, and can't wait to see what you think of it! Please come back with updates and details!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, so what is HG...either my brain isnt working or its not familiar to me.

elizat

Ideal_Rock

As an owner of o-p omc, I will say it has very visible body color at times, other times, not as much. It will always have it, just by the grade. It is very dependent by stone. Also, my skin tone is more of a neutral undertone. I am light to medium toned, but tan easily. I think that my skin tone makes the stone look like it has less color as well at times. If I was a very pale rosy undertone, I think it might show more body color.

I have a gia m old cushion and honestly, there is difference, but it's not startling. It is so much dependent on each stone though.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
As an owner of o-p omc, I will say it has very visible body color at times, other times, not as much. It will always have it, just by the grade. It is very dependent by stone. Also, my skin tone is more of a neutral undertone. I am light to medium toned, but tan easily. I think that my skin tone makes the stone look like it has less color as well at times. If I was a very pale rosy undertone, I think it might show more body color.

I have a gia m old cushion and honestly, there is difference, but it's not startling. It is so much dependent on each stone though.

I just read the thread about your stone - gorgeous! Interesting what you say about the non-puffy crown/larger table - in this case that’s like the Option 2 stone here. I’m super curious about the color difference between these two - there may be slight fluorescence in the OP which could close the color gap a bit...

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
The faceting on 1 is beautiful. However, I love the shape of 2. And the less elongated shape seems to result in a more sparkly diamond. I mean that when I see the facets of the elongated shape, the primary east west facet seems to dominate. At least that's what my eyes focus on. The more round (less elongated) shape allows all the facets to pop more.

BTW, love your VC ring still, and the SS halo as well. Read your threads a million times.

Thank you! I do love those rings, but I’ve been leaning toward something with no halo for a while...

The table on Option 1 has a smaller percentage, but we’ll see how it shows in person. Option 2 was literally like a flashlight so I can’t wait to see how 1 compares!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I just read the thread about your stone - gorgeous! Interesting what you say about the non-puffy crown/larger table - in this case that’s like the Option 2 stone here. I’m super curious about the color difference between these two - there may be slight fluorescence in the OP which could close the color gap a bit...

I could take pictures together for you, but I'm not sure if that would be helpful? Each stone is so different, but if you think it would help I can do it.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Both are gorgeous but I prefer option #2. It’s gorgeous. It has that candlelight color. The lower color diamonds sparkles so differently especially in an old cut.

I am looking forward to what you will set this 6 carat in. So happy for you.

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
Gosh they're both GORGEOUS. I personally adore the slightly elongated look of #1 but think you can't go wrong here!

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
I think you should get them both! (Just kidding).

For me, it really depends on how you want to set them. I would keep #2 as a solitaire and I would put #1 into a glorious 3 stone. Can we see a picture of your potential setting? I really prefer the color of #1 and the shape/size of #2.

Nikki1415

Brilliant_Rock
I like #2 more because it has more of an OEC shape and I love how the facets light up. I love warm diamonds so I wouldn't have any issues with color.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results