shape
carat
color
clarity

Deciding to Return Kay ring and purchase Ritani instead

Maureen

Rough_Rock
Hi All, Would love to hear your thoughts on the above. Hubby decided to upgrade my wedding ring after 15yrs and has me working with a budget of $5000 he could go higher but I will not let him spend anymore as I am going from a $499 ring to $5000 and the shock of it all has me going nuts with research after the fact. Did not know anything about clarity , color , cut but after buying a Kay Leo Diamond ring for $4400.00 plus tax and cost of guarantee plan we ended up with out of pocket at $5085. Now with the report Kay gave us it shows our ring set is TDW of 2 carat with center stone diamond at .5 carat, color I and clarity SI2 and for cut it states round . Now I realize it is not a good deal for the quality but I love the idea that if anything and I mean anything goes wrong with the ring they will replace everything...not too worried about theft or losing it as I have been very careful the past 15 years and my old ring never lost a stone and is still with me ...Still have 5 weeks left to return the ring to Kays if I chose to for a full refund ...

Now after talking with some friends at work and going on the Ritani website and reading a few posts here and there I have selected 2 rings for Free preview from Ritani , the center stones will be around .70 on one and .76 on the other , with both having Ideal cut, Ex on polish and sym, color H and clarity SI1 on the .7 and SI2 on the .76 , with matching wedding band the total cost is $5300 approx as they are waiving sales tax as of right now... but I would have to purchase insurance separately from Jewelers Mutual/ Perfect circle and so going a little over budget here, but main thing is, what happens if after 6mths diamonds start dropping out, now I have to go through the hassle of an insurance claim before I can get it fixed .. Forgot to mention the rings from Ritani are French Set and I read a lot about if one stone falls out all fallout. I would not need to have it re-sized as I selected my exact size for the preview but still French/Micro Pave set reviews say a lot about diamonds falling out .. Advice anyone hopefully my post is not long winded from most...lol..

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely return and go for Ritani with an ideal cut diamond!!! I am so happy for you that you realized there were better options while you can still return the one from Kay's! That guarantee means very little in the long run. You still have to have insurance because you cannot ever know if, heaven forbid,someone is going to break in and steal it or a tornado or fire comes. All of those are unlikely, hopefully, but that is why most of us carry insurance that covers all kinds of loss. You will be able to get more for your money and better quality, too!

Post the setting and diamonds so we can help you be sure you're getting a great stone this time!

Maureen

Rough_Rock
Really appreciate your help, just hoping I like the Ratani ring(s) when they come in to the store for preview, here is what I requested for preview, the thing is I don't know much about sym, depth etc so just used cut, clarity and color and of course my budget to make my decision hopefully I did good, also really concerned about the French/micro pave setting as to whether diamonds fall out easily , as it seems based on a few comments one stone falls out then for sure a few more will follow:

For diamond selection -

http://www.ritani.com/diamonds/round-diamond-0-70-Carat-H-color-GIA-certified/D-TYWV28?search_key=d-tywv28

http://www.ritani.com/diamonds/round-diamond-0-76-Carat-H-color-GIA-certified/D-ZY6SW6?search_key=D-zy6sw6

And for the setting:

http://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/french-set-halo-diamond-band-engagement-ring-in-14kt-white-gold/6113

Your thoughts please , did I do good , or do I need to go back to the drawing board...

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the Kay's ring looks very busy. I much prefer the Ritani.

Good luck with your decision!

sherryd

Rough_Rock
I love the setting you posted :love: Do you want to get the diamond from Ritani or are you open
to purchasing somewhere else? I noticed to that ross-simons has a few clearanced Ritani settings
that would allow you to get a larger center stone. I know from experience that they will set a diamond
for free in their settings. So happy that you're returning the ring you got from Kay's, in the long run
you will be so happy with the performance of a well cut diamond. I know that the pricescope community
will help you find a diamond if you decide to purchase from someone other than Ritani. I think you can
do better than them with a nicer diamond for the same or better price. Best of luck I'm excited for you! :appl:

Maureen

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the response guys.. Unfortunately I am not too much of an online shopper but was willing to look at Ritani since they have the In store preview and was just trying to keep it simple by going to one place to make the purchase but will take a look now at the Ross Simon setting selections and get back with comments shortly...thx again for the response as they are inspiring me to keep researching until I find the one

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maureen|1388799217|3585909 said:
Me again, and here is the ring from Kay's which even though they have it posted at $6999 I was able to get it discounted and paid $4400 plus 7% tax

http://www.kay.com/en/kaystore/engagement---wedding/diamond-bridal-set-2-ct-tw-round-cut--14k-white-gold-990598207--1/100006/100006.100008.100015

oh do return this!

You could do so much better. I suspect you will like the Ritani. But dont feel like you have to like them. Make sure you get them out of the jewelry store lighting too.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is going to be easier to get both at one place. But my only concern is that they apparently don't have actual pictures of those diamonds or idealscope images which show if there is leakage. The .70 stone scores a 3.6 on the Holloway Cut Advisor, and we'd probably recommend a better stone than that. The .76 scored 3.7. We normally recommend stones that score less than 2.0 but sometimes up to 2.5 or so.

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

When did you order these? Is it too late to call and change it?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Maureen

Rough_Rock
Are the diamonds I picked out that bad then, as they were both priced less than $2000... The two recommended here would put me way over budget as they are coming up at roughly $3000 for same amount of carat.. I think it would not be too late to change reservation as I just placed the preview order 2 days ago, but would like to replace them with ones closer to the $2000 price, so would that mean I should go down in carat so as to get the better quality..

Will most definitely return Kays as not one person liked it so far :( ...I guess it is a easy decision to return as I had my doubts too that the Kay's apart from the poorer quality did look a little too overcrowded to me too...

I looked at the Ross Simons setting and they have nice rings in clearance but did not see anything I liked but again prefer to get both diamond and setting from same vendor...

Do you think you could check again to see if anything is within the guidelines you mention but closer to $2000 max $2500 I guess ....

Maureen

Rough_Rock
So I decided to follow everyones advice and I returned the Kay ring today... After reading all the comments and doing some more online research last night I decided to spend much much less money on the setting ( as I can always change this later right ) and spend a little more on the diamond while staying within my $5000 budget, so I ended up "buying" this morning the following diamond & setting from Ritani , it is expected to arrive 1/14 and really hoping that I will be okay with the setting for now and who knows may end up keeping it (hope so) as this process is tiresome :)

Diamond: http://www.ritani.com/diamonds/round-diamond-0-75-Carat-G-color-GIA-certified/D-TS15PB?search_key=d-ts15pb

Setting: http://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings-with-bands/french-set-halo-diamond-engagement-ring-with-matching-band-in-14kt-white-gold/10259

Plus I still have the other 2 ritani that are on there way for a store free preview , so hoping to find one this batch that I love...

sherryd

Rough_Rock
I truly think that you've made a great informed choice! The diamond you chose has specs close to mine
and it is a beautiful stone. You will be shocked at the performance of the diamond especially compared
to the one you returned to Kay's. 8-) And I have the Romantique setting from Ritani and absolutely love
it. The detail and quality is unlike any other ring I own. Looking forward to hearing your updates, and
when you receive the ring hopefully some pics!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I love the Ritani setting and I am so happy you came to your senses and relized bigger it better lol. No the stone looks beautiful and you a great compromise halo and plane band enjoy

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the new setting! please post hand shots! when you are finished.. I think the Ritani setting is much less busy and more sophisticated and beautiful.. congratulations on your anniversary... a .75 stone is perfect for the halo I think.

:love:

Maureen

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much I am feeling good about this one so as soon as I get it I will post pic..

Maureen

Rough_Rock
Yes thanks , bigger and better than the Kays , thank goodness you all told me to take it back, it is amazing how much info I gathered from you guys and this website esp the HCA thing , phenomenal...will post pics as soon as I get it

oakleaf

Shiny_Rock
Maureen|1388866289|3586246 said:
So I decided to follow everyones advice and I returned the Kay ring today... After reading all the comments and doing some more online research last night I decided to spend much much less money on the setting ( as I can always change this later right ) and spend a little more on the diamond while staying within my $5000 budget, so I ended up "buying" this morning the following diamond & setting from Ritani , it is expected to arrive 1/14 and really hoping that I will be okay with the setting for now and who knows may end up keeping it (hope so) as this process is tiresome :)

Diamond: http://www.ritani.com/diamonds/round-diamond-0-75-Carat-G-color-GIA-certified/D-TS15PB?search_key=d-ts15pb

Setting: http://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings-with-bands/french-set-halo-diamond-engagement-ring-with-matching-band-in-14kt-white-gold/10259

Plus I still have the other 2 ritani that are on there way for a store free preview , so hoping to find one this batch that I love...

I love this setting, and you can always get the diamond wedding band for another wedding anniversary.

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What a pretty setting! I can't wait to see some hand shots when you get it in. :)

spicyitalian

Rough_Rock
Glad you made the right choices. Do post pictures!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the H SI2 is a much better buy than the G VVS2. The G is nearly double the price for the same carat weight!

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I just have to say that I love love the choice you made! Absolutely beautiful :love:

Maureen

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys.. I was kind of wondering myself too this morning about the price of the diamond I selected also.. I notice if I go down a little on clarity I could go up in carat from .75 to .80 and stay within the same price range, cut and color, it would just be a matter of finding a .80 diamond that scores nicely on the HCA tool .. also not sure if there is a big visual difference in looks, will I be able to tell difference when looking at rings which one has the .80 diamond , if not ,then it might be better I think to go with the higher clarity diamond...OMG so many factors to consider

It seems like every time you check there is always a better looking diamond or better price out there .. will see when the rings come in and will definitely post pics and then decide again if I keep or keep looking :confused: .Glad though everyone is liking the new setting I selected even though bands are plain and I agree that at next anniv could change plain band to diamond band ... yep my thoughts exactly...

sherryd

Rough_Rock
Any updates to inform us about? :wink2:

Maureen

Rough_Rock
My 2 in store preview rings from ritani come in this Fri and I will be going in to pick one that I love this Saturday(hopefully) so hoping to post lots of pictures this sat (fingers crossed) :twirl:

sherryd

Rough_Rock
Make sure you look at the diamonds in different lighting, because jewelry stores have the nicest lighting around!
Also look at them through a microscope so you can see where the inclusions are. Take your time and enjoy the
experience! Good luck, and I have my fingers crossed for you! :wavey:

Maureen

Rough_Rock
Ok yes will do and let you know my findings. Thanks always for the guidance.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think you made a great choice! Kudos on the clarity! This thread makes me happy. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results