shape
carat
color
clarity

Deciding to go a bit bigger. What do you think of this?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I am just not "mind clean" since I can't get an ok on the #s and images. I just haven't seen enough diamonds in my life.

There is a long story about numbers & other standards: tugging at those is not the same as seeing too many diamonds [there is no telling what you'd want once you will have & it is rather fun to look - as long as there is no obligation to choose or pay, or so it works for me.]

This stone could be slightly more precise, but the proportions are right. The material itself does everything it is expected of an optical crystal & of round brilliants today [the model can do many things right & bright!].

I couldn't say what better can be had without involving a cutter - that is to say, buy a potential recut, toward that last nuance of optical perfection; where straight up recut involves risk & cost, trade-ins involve cost only. I'd guess that the promissing 'potentials' will not be nice to hold on to [the criterial change - good proportions must be overshot] & I am very sure that the loss would not be any less than the not low cost of trade-in [you'd still want to know what is preffered for this - which involves talking with the ultimate provider of a H&A - now]. I might enjoy this sort of ride, although I love diamonds of many other descriptions other than H&A.

rambling

Last edited:

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is the same stone, there are two tiny adjacent ?crystal inclusions at the border of the table at 1.30oclock which is present in the new ASET at 2:30.

And the hearts image, as well. 9 oclock.. I miseed that.. doh..

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
@AV_ , @flyingpig , thank you both for taking the time to look this over!! First, I am glad to hear that the two sets of images are the same stone!! When the first set was presented, the feedback was positive. The second set threw in some doubts here. Second, I just want to know that this stone is a good performer. @AV_, I still have option to decide on this one. From your comments, it sounds like all is ok optically. That is very helpful. I wasn't getting that sense from other PSers which is what I was seeking. Thank you both!

Reactions: AV_

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's going to be a pretty stone in person. Maybe a teensy bit of leakage but nothing to worry about IMO. If this stone is priced right, I would go for it.

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
It's going to be a pretty stone in person. Maybe a teensy bit of leakage but nothing to worry about IMO. If this stone is priced right, I would go for it.

Thanks @Laila619 . I appreciate that. I do worry :)

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
@sledge if you see something you like much better around 7k let me know please.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge if you see something you like much better around 7k let me know please.

For the same money, you could slide into a WF premium select stone. Gives you access to a much better upgrade program with all the advanced images, etc.

Carat weight is just a smidge less, but spread is nearly identical. And she's a G VS2. Although admittedly I don't care for the crystal on the table. But the webpage is reporting eye clean. If interested, I'd have them pull the stone and scrutinize it from 6" on top and the sides to make sure nothing is visible.

Would like to see a slightly smaller table, but this is perfectly acceptable. Appears to have missed the ACA criterion for the very minor variance in the hearts image. Obviously, neither is a concern -- look at the video, she's nothing short of a magnificent sparkle bomb!

57.7 table, 60.7 depth, 34.5 crown, 40.7 pavilion, 76 LGF & 52 stars

Also, if you aren't aware, WF can provide a detailed SARIN upon request. They do provide the condensed version by default, but the detailed one is nice if you are all geeky like me, lol.

1580510014557.png

1580510029829.png

1580510047410.png

1580510062024.png

1580510240736.png

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
@sledge I did not know about the Sarin report. ..very interesting. I do love the numbers game! Thank you for this pick. I have seen this one on the WF site. Don't seem to want to pursue this one...was honestly hoping for a smaller table...for the fire. Plus the images look kind of messy to me.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge I did not know about the Sarin report. ..very interesting. I do love the numbers game! Thank you for this pick. I have seen this one on the WF site. Don't seem to want to pursue this one...was honestly hoping for a smaller table...for the fire. Plus the images look kind of messy to me.

Gotcha. Can't fault you for wanting a smaller table, that is also my preference. However, looking at the video, I think you can see it is full of zest and fire.

I agree the hearts image isn't as pretty as others I've seen. Hence the reason it's not an ACA.

I'm not beating you up so don't take it that way -- but are there other things in the images you don't like? If so, can you let me know what they are so I can help you find a better selection?

While I knew this one wasn't perfect. I saw it as an opportunity to get into a killer upgrade program that is still like a 9+ stone (on scale of 10).

Do you prefer to stick with GIA, or are you open to AGS and super ideals?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BGD's site is a crap show since their revamp, but here are a few I like:

1.05 G SI1 @ $8,384 ($7,210 after 11% coupon + 3% wire discount)

55.6 table, 61.6 depth,34.6 crown, 40.8 pavilion, 77 LGF & 52 stars

Both of these are pre-orders, meaning they are in the line to be cut but aren't done yet. So no proportions, etc. A little less carat weight, but the color is the win here. Definitely want to ensure the SI2 is eye clean, but BGD has produced some nice eye clean SI2's similar to how CBI has in the past.

1.027 F VS2 @ $8,378 ($7,205 after 11% coupon + 3% wire discount)

1.023 D SI2 @ $7,950 ($6,837 after 11% coupon + 3% wire discount)

I bought my wife's stone from BGD, but hands down they have a less attractive trade program than CBI or WF. With BGD you have to spend $1 more + upgrade 2 of the following 3 C's: carat weight, color or clarity. This makes upgrading more difficult depending where you start.

Here's the coupon. A little weird the way they state 14% off. They take 11% off credit price + another 3% if you do wire, for a total of 14%. If you do credit, then it's just 11% off. Still a nice perk as that's a good $800 or so on all the stones listed above.

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks!! :) I think I read the promo doesn't include pre orders. I could be wrong I will check it out. Btw, have you glanced at the numbers for the current stone by chance? I know the images are inconclusive.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mlh I was browsing and came across this...not sure if you’d consider it but it’s a beautiful stone at a great price, although there would be no upgrade policy.

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
@Mlh I was browsing and came across this...not sure if you’d consider it but it’s a beautiful stone at a great price, although there would be no upgrade policy.

Omg.. so sweet of you to think of me!! Thank you so much @ac117 !! Looks really nice!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks!! :) I think I read the promo doesn't include pre orders. I could be wrong I will check it out. Btw, have you glanced at the numbers for the current stone by chance? I know the images are inconclusive.

I went back and was looking over the images. I agree with the others that I find things to be odd.

First off...I'm not sure what GIA smoked to report a 35/40.8. The 35 I get. But literally every PA is > 40.8, except one. Average is 40.95. This should have been rounded to 41.

Also, you have a set of LGF's that are considerably off from the others.

I don't think it's a horrible stone, but I see the struggles with being mind clean. That said, if your eyes love it does all this geek speak really matter? We can always obsess over some small detail but I'd suggest you set a standard that is acceptable to you so you can find peace with the matter and find acceptance, rather it's this stone or a different one.

Screenshot_20200201-113708_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200201-114029_Calculator.jpg Screenshot_20200201-114054_Calculator.jpg

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When I first saw the images it does appear the diamond was tilted OR some asymmetry OR inconsistent lower half angles with regards to their azimuth angles (the angles that rrun in the east/west orientation.

After seeing the 2nd set of images which appear more perfectly centered that is what it appears to be.

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
When I first saw the images it does appear the diamond was tilted OR some asymmetry OR inconsistent lower half angles with regards to their azimuth angles (the angles that rrun in the east/west orientation.

After seeing the 2nd set of images which appear more perfectly centered that is what it appears to be.

Thank you @Rhino! So you are saying inconsistent lower half angles? Would you mind explaining the impact to performance in this case? Btw, just watching some of your videos on YouTube today!!

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
I went back and was looking over the images. I agree with the others that I find things to be odd.

First off...I'm not sure what GIA smoked to report a 35/40.8. The 35 I get. But literally every PA is > 40.8, except one. Average is 40.95. This should have been rounded to 41.

Also, you have a set of LGF's that are considerably off from the others.

I don't think it's a horrible stone, but I see the struggles with being mind clean. That said, if your eyes love it does all this geek speak really matter? We can always obsess over some small detail but I'd suggest you set a standard that is acceptable to you so you can find peace with the matter and find acceptance, rather it's this stone or a different one.

Screenshot_20200201-113708_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200201-114029_Calculator.jpg Screenshot_20200201-114054_Calculator.jpg

@sledge thank you for. Taking the time to look and explain. I just want to understand the impact in real life performance of the asymmetry. What would you do?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you @Rhino! So you are saying inconsistent lower half angles? Would you mind explaining the impact to performance in this case? Btw, just watching some of your videos on YouTube today!!

Enjoy! With regards to how this may look in real life you would likely not see that little bit of difference. I would imagine though that it would disqualify it from being a top brand H&A though so this is where you have to also consider pricing, policies etc.

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Enjoy! With regards to how this may look in real life you would likely not see that little bit of difference. I would imagine though that it would disqualify it from being a top brand H&A though so this is where you have to also consider pricing, policies etc.

Thank you @Rhino!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge thank you for. Taking the time to look and explain. I just want to understand the impact in real life performance of the asymmetry. What would you do?

Upstream, you mentioned the stone was now set. I presume that means in your setting? If so, when you put aside the nerd talk, what does your eyes tell you? Can you see anything that makes you think it's off? I personally think it will be hard to discern IRL.

That said, I get the vibe you also want a stone that is as perfect on paper as it is to your eyes. With that said, I don't think this stone meets that criteria. If this is indeed the case, then you should probably return and swap to something that makes your eyes and mind equally happy.

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Upstream, you mentioned the stone was now set. I presume that means in your setting? If so, when you put aside the nerd talk, what does your eyes tell you? Can you see anything that makes you think it's off? I personally think it will be hard to discern IRL.

That said, I get the vibe you also want a stone that is as perfect on paper as it is to your eyes. With that said, I don't think this stone meets that criteria. If this is indeed the case, then you should probably return and swap to something that makes your eyes and mind equally happy.

Thank you @sledge, I appreciate the context. It would be nice to have the numbers line up. I can't seem to find another stone that meets the criteria...esp. 34.5/40.8. Maybe after Valentine's day? I was hoping to find a Gia stone. But that might not work out. I don't see anything specific wrong in the stone. But I haven't seen a lot of diamonds in my life.

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock

@Karl_K is this stone steep deep?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Per GIA = 35/40.8 @ 61.7 depth
Per SARIN = 34.8/41 @ 61.8 depth

IMO, not really a steep deep which normally implies you have both steep angles and extra depth as a result.

Depth <62 is good and preferable. But you have both a steep crown and steep pavilion. With a 57 (or 56.8 ) table in combo with the CA/PA I'd expect more depth personally but both GIA and SARIN are reporting consistently on that aspect.

@Karl_K if you use your fancy software to run a model and NOT enter a depth but the other proportions what kind of depth does it kick out? What if you change the table to 55? Probably need to use the SARIN values, and assume no LGF monkey business.

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
@sledge, thank you for helping me. I just found a gia stone with these stats:

57 table
61.3 depth
14.5 ( pav depth ?)
34.5 cr
40.8 pav
50 stars
75 lgf
4.0 girdle med-slight. Thick

It scores 1.2 hca

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge, thank you for helping me. I just found a gia stone with these stats:

57 table
61.3 depth
14.5 ( pav depth ?)
34.5 cr
40.8 pav
50 stars
75 lgf
4.0 girdle med-slight. Thick

It scores 1.2 hca

Proportions are promising. Is the stone on hold? If so, can you link to a video or additional images?

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Proportions are promising. Is the stone on hold? If so, can you link to a video or additional images?

@sledge , not on hold. Can I email you at louptroop ( I remember reading you are there)

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge..thank you! Done :)

Got your emails and responded a few different times. Sent you an alternate stone to consider. I think you will like it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results