shape
carat
color
clarity

deciding between two settings need help please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TLS

Shiny_Rock
Hi - some of you probably saw my earlier post describing my frustrating price issue with a designer setting.

Right now I am deciding between two settings for engagement rings. The first is the designer one that is very thin platinum (2mm) and has tiny 2 pointer diamonds across the top. It has a square shank at the bottom. This one is now going to cost about 1500 dollars or so it looks like. The diamonds are H/I I think and possibly SI, but I might upgrade to G, VS for a little more. I think the diamond total is .20 (very small amount).

the 2nd one that I really like also, but am bummed out because I would have to get it in white gold. The setting in platinum is 2 grand. In white gold it is 1,000. This setting is very nice. It has .30 or .38 (not sure) of bead set diamonds on the top (again very tiny). the setting is cathedral and has two extremely tiny but pretty surprise diamonds near the head. I really like the look of this setting but it is slightly thicker. The jeweler said it is 3mm but it looks thinner than that to me, it might be because it tapers in near the head and therefore is thinner near the head. I want something relatively thin so my diamond looks good (and not too small
2.gif
)

My biggest issue with the 2nd setting is that it seems thicker on the sides, meaning it comes out more around the sides, so my pinky finger cannot be closed completely flush with my ring finger. I have never had this experience before.

Does anyone know what I am talking about here? will this be annoying to me? I am concerned that it might be an aggravation or maybe it is just one of those things I am not used to now, but would get used to over time. It didn''t sound like they would thin it down for me and won''t be returnable if I find it an aggravation. I am referring to the thickness that protrudes from the side of the ring (not sure if I am being clear about this or not?)

It is very pretty, he said the diamonds are vvs and F or G color. It sparkles like crazy in the store, more so than the designer setting I saw... however, when i went outside it didn''t look sparkly (but i was standing in the shadow of the building)... so i would imagine that is part of the issue.....and obviously nothing is going to sparkle as good as when it is under the halogen lights, but this one really popped out as more sparkly than any I had seen.

1,000 for white gold is making me sick to think about though, but 1500 for the designer piece seems excessive too for the small amount of diamonds and the thinness of the platinum (but at least it is platinum).

Oh yah... and then i took my diamond out to show him so he could measure it (the one i bought from GOG) and the thing was intensly sparkling/blinding!!! ... that was fun to see, it looked awesome under those halogens and looks great under every other light I have seen too - I love it!!!

What are your thoughts on the issue with the thickness of the band and my pinky finger, do other people find this ok or is it annoying? definitely wasn''t used to the feeling, but also the stock setting was too big for me (size 6 or so and I am 4.25 or 4.5). He tried to say that might of been part of the issue, but that didn''t make sense to me because the amount that it protrudes out from the side should be the same regardless...

I am rambling now, sorry....

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
I know exactly what you are talking about because my ring is the same. I never really noticed it though, until I read your post and then looked at my pinky. Most of the time I don't notice it at all.

Try to pay attention to how you normally hold your hand. I think you will find that you normally hold your pinky a bit away from your ring finger anyway. You only notice the feeling because you are holding your hand together for that "perfect hand view"...because you are purposefully closing your fingers together to get an idea of what the ring looks like on your hand.

If I had to chose between the 2 setttings, I would go with the 2nd one, because it sounds prettier. I also love surprise diamonds. Don't worry about the white gold too much. I thought I wanted platinum but after doing some research I decide to stick with white gold after all. What is the reason you want platinum?

If you have some pictures, please post for us. It makes it easier if we can see what we are talking about.

TLS

Shiny_Rock
Hi Lynne - thanks for responding! Actually you could probably tell I was leaning towards the 2nd one initially....but I went to see the first one again and now I am leaning towards the first the again!!!!

The first one is the Jaffe one and it's very delicate and thin which I like. I think the other thing is on the 2nd one i feel like am not getting the same value, the ring is beautiful but it bugs me that it is costing so much for white gold - just kind of annoys me and i don't really want the upkeep of re-plating it. Of course, I know platinum doesn't stay shiny and needs to be repolished but since the top will be diamonds i don't think the metal will be as noticeable when it dulls.

The first one is A. jaffe and platinum and i think the price will only end up being a little more than what they are trying to charge for the white gold other setting for the other designer.

the other thing I am concerned about is that the 2nd one seems to protrude farther out and might be more uncomfortable.

they are both very pretty. Unfortunately the other designer (2nd ring) iisn't anyone I would recognize the name of so I can't find a site that lists pictures - I think the jeweler said his name was armand - NY designer?

The jaffe is slightly thinner, here is a picture of the jaffe, it is shown on this thread

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-jaffe-thin-pave-prong-engagement-set.10776/=

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results