shape
carat
color
clarity

Debating about my choice in Moissanite

Rozaline88

Rough_Rock
58BB7CE4-66E6-4592-988D-24B774D74BE7.jpeg 893029A9-17C3-4F8D-ABA1-B5C48FB5D52D.jpeg 02D8BEFB-685E-4157-83A1-433E2EFD62AD.png F0BFC752-E693-40D2-BE79-10466EEF6C37.jpeg 94B8C249-FB66-4BD1-9B6D-7B8E11A470B8.jpeg

Hi everyone!

I am looking for advice concerning my moissanite engagement ring. I got engaged in 2016 with a moissanite ring. I chose moissanite with my now husband for ethical reasons and it was a bonus that I preferred the glitter of moissanites over diamonds. My ring came from Brilliant Earth and we chose a “premium” near-colorless 5.0 mm moissanite.
Long story short, the setting we chose from BE wasn’t a good design (one prong held the end of two side stone) and within a short period of time, the side stones became loose.
Last year I got my moissanite reset in a new setting with a local jeweler. I am so pleased with the way the setting came out, it is truly my dream ring.

Now, I am questioning if I want to replace the moissanite. I got the near-colorless moissanite thinking it would best suit the rose gold setting that it was in (and still is in the new setting). From what I have gathered from BE, my stone is equivalent to a Charles and Colvard Forever Brilliant which means it is a 6H moissanite as opposed to the 4H like a Forever One. Not until recently have a noticed perhaps the slightest hint of yellow-ness in the stone, I think it is because I now follow various moissanite sellers on social media/ am on the moissanite subreddit and have been exposed to people’s pictures of newer moissanite. In certain light it looks blue or even a soft green. It sort of breaks my heart a bit that I am doubting my moissanite now as it was the original stone I got engaged with (also in light of having to replace the setting). What do you all think of my issue of sentimentality of my moissanite over the potential lower quality of the stone? Has anyone else been a similar situation? Am I being silly? When I first had it I really loved the way the stone looked. My stone is a smaller one so I think the yellow is quite subtle overall but I can’t help but feel a bit bummed out that it might be more yellow-green than truly near-colorless. I posted some pics of my ring in different lighting.

Thank you for your advice and suggestions!

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm...that’s hard. I am like you, I would have a hard time letting go of the original stone. I know upgrading is common, both with diamonds and moissys, but I think I would feel sad, honestly. :lol:

Anyway, if you feel a little bummed about your current stone, I don’t see why you can’t replace it with a newer moissy and still keep the original. Maybe you can consider using your current stone in a pendant? I think it would look lovely in a pendant setting and it will be close to your heart.

Rozaline88

Rough_Rock
Hmm...that’s hard. I am like you, I would have a hard time letting go of the original stone. I know upgrading is common, both with diamonds and moissys, but I think I would feel sad, honestly. :lol:

Anyway, if you feel a little bummed about your current stone, I don’t see why you can’t replace it with a newer moissy and still keep the original. Maybe you can consider using your current stone in a pendant? I think it would look lovely in a pendant setting and it will be close to your heart.

The pendant idea is a great idea that I hadn’t considered. Thanks!

And yeah, I feel especially sentimental over the stone as it is the only remaining aspect of my og engagement ring. I will have to consider my options/if the color bothers me enough to upgrade the stone.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an older style Moissanite and as it’s larger size it has a discernible yellow tint, but I don’t mind, I prefer it this way. Looks more natural and real.
Just remember those vendor photos of Moissanite you are seeing might be “tweaked”, your Moissanite isn’t looking yellow to my eyes.

Rozaline88

Rough_Rock
I have an older style Moissanite and as it’s larger size it has a discernible yellow tint, but I don’t mind, I prefer it this way. Looks more natural and real.
Just remember those vendor photos of Moissanite you are seeing might be “tweaked”, your Moissanite isn’t looking yellow to my eyes.

Those are valid points. There is a big chance the photos use a filter or have special lighting to make the stone look a certain way. I thought I preferred the warmth too as I thought the colorless would be too stark against rose gold. I hope I am just going through a funny phase with my moissanite.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's a pretty color with the rose gold and I don't see a greenish tinge, more of a cream color. If after a while it's still bugging you, the idea of a pendant with the original stone is nice. I have a colorless moissy and actually wish I'd gone with a touch of color for that ring but learned to like it over time. Grass is always greener! Like Bron I think they look nice with a bit of a tint.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
23358.jpg If it does have a greenish tinge, unplated white gold, or better yet, yellow gold, are most flattering to it. I have a cheapo 6mm Moiss princess that is definitely on the murky side, but beautifully cut. I had it mounted in yellow gold shank / unplated 14k white gold half bezel head. Looks great. Ring size 5, with short fingers. lol

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results