shape
carat
color
clarity

Dead good - or dead ringer?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

calvin

Rough_Rock
I'm new to the diamond game, but I have discovered that my wife to be is something of an amature enthusiast (are they born that way?), so I thought I'd better do some revision - and I reckon this site is fantastic!Recently though I have seen quite a lot of solitare engagement rings (top tip if you're thinking about it: definitely buy a ring before you propose - she might like it, which will save you heaps of trauma!), and I'm starting to get a feel for it. But what I'd like to know is how/if age affects value.I've seen a 1930's 1.4ct solitare, set in platinum costing $5300, it is round, seems very white and I can't see any flaws with a looking glass. It doesn't sparkle as much as others I've seen, which is perhaps due to an old cut? But is this too cheap? Is it likely to be a fake at this price, or is it a bargain? Or is this about right for a 1930's solitare?Comment gratefully received!

calvin

Rough_Rock
Thanks Leonid,I'll get the lab report in due course and publish it here.If the diamond is too deep is it possible to get it re-cut??

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Yes it is possible to recut. Although you'll have to calculate all the costs including how much weight you could loose while recutting. However, some people are going for it. For instance to get EightStar diamond...

calvin

Rough_Rock
Leonid - you're quick, I just opened this up on the main board... Thanks though. Will continue on the other thread...

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
sure
smile.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Calvin, you're right - it does sound cheap.There could be a few reasons. It could be old cut indeed, not modern round brilliant.It can be a poor cut.Its facets can be worn off.Besides the diamond doesn't have any lab report...I'd recommend to show it to an independent expert before you'll make any decision.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results