carat
color
clarity

De Beers undercuts the man made diamond price

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Selection_of_Lightbox_Jewelry.jpg

I'm looking forward to checking out the stones this Fall. I doubt that De Beers would be so stupid to offer terrible cuts to sabotage its own product line.

I'm hoping the stones will be cut as good as many Swarovski CZ stones. Looking at the stones (click to magnify), I'm seeing visible decent arrows.

blue-halo-0.25-pendant-front-view_1800x.jpg

white-halo-1.0-pendant-front-view_1800x.jpg

pink-solitaire-pendant-1carat-front-view_1800x.jpg

The smaller stones are really not being offered at good price at all, and you can get similar pricing through Amazon right now for the smaller MMD studs or it's competing with lesser quality smaller mined diamonds in 14K at that price level. I agree with @HDer that 1 carat stones will sell the quickest.

At the risk of sounding like a traitor to my CBI branded diamonds, and trust me, I definitely am not, I actually like the look of of these colors and can foresee some inexpensive granddaughter gifts as they come of age. I will probably have to pay retail, as I do not imagine I would ever want to sell these, but I also know I will never spend the money to give a genuine pink or blue to a granddaughter.

I have always loved colored gemstones and also colored diamonds. My wife has an incredible Fancy Yellow that if I ever get it graded will have the Fancy Vivid Yellow designation. When I shared it with Stephen Hofer, author of Collecting and Classifying Coloured Diamonds, many years ago, he told me it was one of the most stunning fancy yellows he had ever seen. This was before he wrote his book and long before the GIA color scale system had been created. I was also able to get an incredible deal on a light grayish-blue diamond of just under a carat.

These treasures will be passed down in the family, but it will be a LOT of years before one of the Grands receives either one of them. In the meantime, here are gorgeous and inexpensive synthetic colored diamonds that I can easily see under Christmas trees to my Grands when the time is right and I suspect that I will not be the only jeweler availing myself of these beauties as welcome gifts.

Love them or hate them, they are soon to be here to stay. They are just another incredible change that I have been privileged to see in my lifetime. There will be more changes and I am excited to continue collecting new things in my memory banks.

Wink

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I have always loved colored gemstones and also colored diamonds.

For me, colored stones just lack the mesmerizing sparkles of diamonds, so yes they look nice but I never went bonkers for them. Meanwhile I can't wait to see what the affordable flawless blue diamond will behave like day in day out, and I have a lot of blue tops to go with it. :))

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The fact that you can say this and most people would agree with you just goes to show that they are absolutely successful and being a military state.

No, the fact that you can freely say something negative about the government on a public internet forum and not disappear proves that the U.S. is not a military state.

I find it incredibly aggrivating when people in my generation throw around terms like "military state" without realizing that the freedom that they have to even be able to say such things publically contradicts their claim. Please, go try and live in a true "military state", like Thailand's current military junta or North Korea, and try to say such things about the government.

I have no problem with people critizing the U.S.'s occasional strong-arm applications of the military. I don't always agree with this either, but that's the reality of living in a country with a powerful military, and it brings with it certain benefits for its citizens. However, doingdso does not make the U.S. a military state, neither fiscally nor socially.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The US spends an unknown amt of gdp on their military, didn't they just `misplace some 2.3 trillion? Do you think that went into education or
Civil services? the argument that by definition the US is not a military state is fine if you literally think a govt needs to spend a certain % of gdp in order to be a military state. When you have the Highest incarceration rate in the world, and a military presence in all corners of the world, I consider this a military state, even if we don't meet an arbitrary percent of gdp spending. Let me ask you, what does the world think of first when you mention the US? I'll tell you, it's the military. If you think people don't just disappear for political reasons than they are in fact extremely successful at being a military state. In fact not only or silence within the US but we are actually able to do so outside of the US and in other countries. When other countries are overthrown their dictators or when their opposition parties disappear it's often if not by the and resources of the United States of America. Amount of military spending so getting off topic if we don't meet a certain amount of military spending then I can see that you are correct by that definition. After traveling the world and meeting people from all over the place when they think us they think military. The fact that you can say this and most people would agree with you just goes to show that they are absolutely successful and being a military state.

It takes a huge amount or arrogance to speak with such vitriol and not back it up. This screams of immaturity and a lack of experience and education. I am all for a lively debate with a single caveat. Site your source. Opinions on matters such as these are simply not enough. Site a real source peer reviewed and published. Sadly the MSM has chosen parties and all too often has to print retractions (this is an international issue). So say what you want, as long as you can back it up with something other than bad manners. If you cannot handle people responding to your comments perhaps you ought not make them in the first place.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
=)2:lol-2:
Avoid discussing politics, religion, ...and military state.
I also know of many people who believe we never went to the moon...
Try not stoop down.

Thank-you . This thread is for discussing the debeers and their new line of man made diamonds.
There is a wonderful board on pricescope called hangout where a conversation about the semantics of anything NOT ABOUT debeers and their new man made diamonds can be discussed!

Ok back to the topic, I am not interested in the blue or pink ones. I think 800 for a 1 ct light blue is way too much. At that price I would get a natural semi precious stone.
Blue zircon or even a blue london topaz.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Folks, calm down and bring it back on topic.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am not interested in the blue or pink ones. I think 800 for a 1 ct light blue is way too much. At that price I would get a natural semi precious stone.
Blue zircon or even a blue london topaz.

I love color, but since becoming a diamondoholic, I am addicted to the SPARKLE of a well cut diamond. I am hoping that the new synthetic colored diamonds will be well cut and if they are, I am a grandpa who will be gifting some of them in the future.

Wink

Angelwk

Shiny_Rock
It takes a huge amount or arrogance to speak with such vitriol and not back it up. This screams of immaturity and a lack of experience and education. I am all for a lively debate with a single caveat. Site your source. Opinions on matters such as these are simply not enough. Site a real source peer reviewed and published. Sadly the MSM has chosen parties and all too often has to print retractions (this is an international issue). So say what you want, as long as you can back it up with something other than bad manners. If you cannot handle people responding to your comments perhaps you ought not make them in the first place.

we can absolutely have a debate about this and I personally think it's immature to instigate by putting someone down instead of listening. Do you want to have this debate with cites OFF this person's gem post?? I will gladly speak to you. where is my bad manners? because I tell someone not to condescend me? the poster said he might be out of the loop and i simply agreed with him. so if you want to think i lack education and experience without knowing anything about me, strong statements my friend. let's chat.

Angelwk

Shiny_Rock
No, the fact that you can freely say something negative about the government on a public internet forum and not disappear proves that the U.S. is not a military state.

I find it incredibly aggrivating when people in my generation throw around terms like "military state" without realizing that the freedom that they have to even be able to say such things publically contradicts their claim. Please, go try and live in a true "military state", like Thailand's current military junta or North Korea, and try to say such things about the government.

I have no problem with people critizing the U.S.'s occasional strong-arm applications of the military. I don't always agree with this either, but that's the reality of living in a country with a powerful military, and it brings with it certain benefits for its citizens. However, doingdso does not make the U.S. a military state, neither fiscally nor socially.

The world is changing very rapidly, I am happy to share different opinions and points of view. Sometimes people agree to disagree. I do not mean to insult you or offend you. But starting off a response by using condescension is not the most pleasant. Perhaps you did not mean it that way so I will move on. I am not American by the way I am Canadian. So it's easier for me to notice the difference, I only moved to America because my husband is American. It's easier to spot the differences when you're not from the country itself.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love color, but since becoming a diamondoholic, I am addicted to the SPARKLE of a well cut diamond. I am hoping that the new synthetic colored diamonds will be well cut and if they are, I am a grandpa who will be gifting some of them in the future.

Wink
I think cut will be one of the major factors determining the success or failure of this venture. Though not every diamond purchaser thinks of cut beyond shape (sad but common) people can tell at a glance that some stone just seem more alive. I think DeBeers would be wise to cut them well otherwise they leave a niche open in the market for someone else to fill.
I have to admit those little pink halo studs seem like a great gift for friends or god children who are transitioning into serious jewelry.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Angelwk
As you're outside the edit window I've reported your last post to ask to have the personal email removed, as it violates PS policy (and violates your personal safety).

Angelwk

Shiny_Rock
@Angelwk
As you're outside the edit window I've reported your last post to ask to have the personal email removed, as it violates PS policy (and violates your personal safety).

thanks but don't worry I'm positive she won't be using it. Thank you love

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not at all worried about Cokitty or any other PSers ::)
This is a public forum, it is wise to beware posting personal/identifying information.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Last warning all. Behave like adults or time outs will be given.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Looking at the stones (click to magnify), I'm seeing visible decent arrows.

I noticed that too, but I don't know whether these are actual photos of what they'll be selling, or just photoshopped mock-ups.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I noticed that too, but I don't know whether these are actual photos of what they'll be selling, or just photoshopped mock-ups.

I bet they're actual examples, based on the cuts I've seen for cheap CZs nowadays.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@psadmin Where are the mods to stop and delete this nonsense?

Discussions like these that are allowed to continue create a negative environment and hurt this forum.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I bet they're actual examples, based on the cuts I've seen for cheap CZs nowadays.

Oh fingers crossed they will be cut reasonably well! If they are cut well it will make resetting so much easier!
Has anyone seen a video of a mmd that is blue or pink? I would love to see one up close in a video!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh fingers crossed they will be cut reasonably well! If they are cut well it will make resetting so much easier!
Has anyone seen a video of a mmd that is blue or pink? I would love to see one up close in a video!

I want to see a video that is from the De Beers production. Someone else's might be a completely different color. Like you though, I have my fingers crossed.

Wink

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Wink

Call me cynical, but I am fairly certain they will be poorly cut. They've already said that these stones don't "deserve" a grade. Why bother if they aren't going to grade them?

I also think that their ultimate purpose is to undercut the market so badly that all the engagement ring sellers go bankrupt. Note that
DeBeers has made it quite clear that they are not selling engagement rings, or even stones suitable for a traditional ring.

If I'm wrong about this being predatory pricing, then the cheap overseas makers will undercut DeBeers with even lower end stones and others will move into the ring market at a slightly higher price point. So it may backfire!

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I emailed them asking about cut quality and all they would say is they will be produced to high standard and that these diamonds are some of the highest quality we can find and that the inscription on the inside is the promise of quality. So I guess we will just have to see what quality means when they come out lol

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I emailed them asking about cut quality and all they would say is they will be produced to high standard and that these diamonds are some of the highest quality we can find and that the inscription on the inside is the promise of quality. So I guess we will just have to see what quality means when they come out lol

De Beers want the business to be profitable and I'm sure they certainly wouldn't want to be the laughing stock by offering poor cut (of 4 C's) diamonds with their logo inscribed. I believe they're targeting the younger generation and offering the price comparable to disposable electronics, and they'd certainly understand the customer base values quality. Let's say they're so shortsighted to offer poor cut diamonds - that would only benefit the competitions they meant to sabotage to begin with and will inevitably do a 180 very quickly.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
De Beers want the business to be profitable and I'm sure they certainly wouldn't want to be the laughing stock by offering poor cut (of 4 C's) diamonds with their logo inscribed. I believe they're targeting the younger generation and offering the price comparable to disposable electronics, and they'd certainly understand the customer base values quality. Let's say they're so shortsighted to offer poor cut diamonds - that would only benefit the competitions they meant to sabotage to begin with and will inevitably do a 180 very quickly.

For me, as I said before, while I wouldn't want one for me because I love natural stones. (Unless they really are that good and then I might consider one as a temporary stone in one of my rings that needs repair)

I AM interested in a small blue one for a training necklace for my daughter so I am hoping for at least decent quality. I would hope if they tell me they are high quality stones that they really are. But I admit I'm one of those people who thinks the worst of everything but loves to be proven wrong. So if I am wrong then I will be thrilled. I'm so so curious about what they will look like!

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I read on the news that they're mass producing mostly blues and pinks, and not a lot of whites, so I'd say the larger whites are going to be the first to get sold out if the quality turns out to be good.

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I read on the news that they're mass producing mostly blues and pinks, and not a lot of whites, so I'd say the larger whites are going to be the first to get sold out if the quality turns out to be good.

Since they're not graded I wouldn't be surprised if less scrupulous people order a few and only keep the best one.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Since they're not graded I wouldn't be surprised if less scrupulous people order a few and only keep the best one.
I read a review on Amazon where a husband ordered two pairs of mmd studs for his wife and returned the worse pair - I say he was smart!

Last edited:

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock

Haha well heres to hoping for decent quality then. Cuz all I would want is blues and yellows if they ever come out with yellow. Everyone else can have those white stones :lol-2:

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like my natural stones and don’t own anything lab created. However, I would be interested in these too as a cheaper fun alternative for colour.. not so much the white stones.

I love pink diamonds! The price is just prohibitive.... so I only have tiny little ones, pale pinks or included stones. IF I liked the shades they came in, I certainly wouldn’t be against purchasing, taking the stones out of whatever setting they come in and using them in my own projects!

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Releasing horribly cut or included product would be a great way to ensure that the debeers name would be linked to inferior product.

Once word spread they were not quality- they would be losing the 94 million they sunk into it.
But stranger things have happened

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results