shape
carat
color
clarity

De Beers: from "A Diamond Is Forever" to "Right-Hand Rings"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
De Beers has been successful in their big marketing initiatives such as "A Diamond Is Forever", 3-Stone jewelry (for past present and future).

On this show De Beers launched a new marketing campaign: The Right-Hand Ring.

While women’ left hands already have engagement, anniversary, and/or three stone rings, their right hands are shamelessly free of diamonds!
6.gif
nono.gif

The new campaign will promote right-hand diamond rings as symbol of women independence. "Your left hand represents love and commitment; your right hand stands for self-expression and independence."

Well, "self expression and independence" represent $5.2 billion market. De Beers will lead world wide promotional campaign and offers promotional materials to jewelers from posters to CDs.

Right-hand diamond rings will be in modern vintage, floral, contemporary and romantic styles.

Women of the world, be ready to raise your right hands when De Beers will ask you to.
3.gif

This is De Beers Diamond Promotion Service (DPS) pavilion at the show.

DeBeersB.jpg

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I'm going shopping!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Hey, that's a rather dinky booth for De Beers!

The right hand marketing campaign, though, was just a matter of time. Of course, hopefully the execution won't be as cheesy as their latest campaigns.

djgaloot

Rough_Rock
I should be able to post a picture of LOML's "right hand ring" in a few weeks. 20th anniversary present with 5 WF "a cut above" H&As in a custom platinum setting. It is being cast right now. I can hardly wait. I am glad I am not reponding to DeBeers advertising push.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe I'm very off, but I thought that 3 stone rings or anniversary rings were for the right hand? Or is it that you wear the 3 stone/anniversary ring on your e-ring/wedding ring finger instead on left? Then what happens to your wed band and e-ring? Confusion!
confused.gif

I am planning on getting something like a 5 stone .50ctw ACA ring for my right hand..that should be fun..or what was it that DeBeers termed it..'self-expression and independence'?
naughty.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 6/4/2003 12:35
6.gif
2 PM Furthermore wrote:

PS What next ? Toe rings ? Navel rings ? "A diamond up your nostil is forever ? " ;-))))))))))))))))))))))
----------------

I would love to get a set of diamond toe rings..right now I wear a pair of thin cz eternity rings (one on each foot on second toe) and I love them, but of course the real thing would be sooo much more sparkly.
2.gif
ACA toe rings anyone?!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 6/4/2003 12:26:59 PM Mara wrote:

Maybe I'm very off, but I thought that 3 stone rings or anniversary rings were for the right hand?
----------------

I know two women with anniversary bands who "stack" them on top of their wedding set.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes but that wouldn't really seem to work aesthetically with a 3 stone ring. I can see for thin anniversary eternity style bands, but what is typical with a 3 stone? Right hand or left?

pedromt

Rough_Rock
blah I hope it flops... I certainly don't need to be buying any more diamonds for a long time (I hope)
2.gif

Heyjud

Shiny_Rock
Mara, we'll see if your idea grows.....
Hearts and Arrows for our TOES!

HOW FUN WOULD THAT BE!??!!
wavey.gif
wavey.gif

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Actually, I think that they are trying to galvanize jewelry designers to create rings that are more appropriate in design for the right hand - I thought that market focus had been rather poor in the past, so I am hoping for some new innovative designs, myself.
10.gif

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I prefer to see a ring with a colored gem on the right hand.

A diamond as an expression of independence? Gimme a break! What's next? A diamond as a sign of patriotism?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 6/4/2003 3:16:31 PM Caratz wrote:

A diamond as an expression of independence? Gimme a break! What's next? A diamond as a sign of patriotism?
----------------

Red white and blue!!
2.gif
Ruby, diamond, sapphire..you may be onto something there. Quick..patent the idea before DB grabs it and makes a mint.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
----------------

A diamond as an expression of independence? Gimme a break!
----------------

There was actually an article in The Onion some months ago skewering this type of mindset.
http://www.theonion.com/onion3906/women_now_empowered.html

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 6/4/2003 3:21:21 PM Mara wrote:

----------------

----------------

Red white and blue!!
2.gif
Ruby, diamond, sapphire..you may be onto something there. Quick..patent the idea before DB grabs it and makes a mint.
----------------

Shortly after 9/11, I did just that. I had a diamond band & bought a ruby band & sapphire band. It was a subtle way of showing my patriotism & helping the economy. I still wear the triple. No one marketed to me. Corny, yeah - but so what.

Nate

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 6/4/2003 12:35
6.gif
2 PM Furthermore wrote:

In a lot of countries in the Orthodox world, engagement and wedding rings are worn on the RIGHT hand already.

Looks like DeBeers has to have a marketing re-think in that part of the world - what WILL they do ? ;-))))))))
----------------
Hehe... my fiancee is from Peru and they where their engagement rings on the right hand. She's already mentioned the 2 ring idea...
nono.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results