shape
carat
color
clarity

DBTY-style necklaces with cuts other than MRBs?

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
In consideration of a new project, I'd love to see images of DBTY-style necklaces using cuts other than MRBs. So show me your ECs/OECs/Rose/Marquies/Hearts/etc station necklaces. (Images you find on social media are cool too!) And don't be shy about colored gemstones in the mix!

Bonus points for opera length and "sprinkle" (asymmetrical) styles.

This is going to be my 2022 project. I want an opera-length, station necklace, and am curious about designing something slightly "outside the box."

Cheers and may the sparklies be with you!

I love this idea! There’s two different necklaces I once saw at the jeweler’s that live rent free in my mind. I can describe them to you since I don’t have a picture and have googled for the last 30 min to find one that is even somewhat similar. My jeweler doesn’t allow pictures unfortunately. Both necklaces were opera length but prong set and not bezel set.

The first was all ECs, but large ones - each individual stone was about 70pts in size if I remember correctly, and set in a delicate airline halo. There were a total of 10-12 stations on a ~35in necklace (I can’t remember exactly).

The second was multiple shapes - a repeating pattern of the following shapes: oval, pear, emerald, marquise. This necklace had more stations IIRC, quite plentifully scattered. These stones were all set in baskets with flat backs, prong set, no halos, and each individual stone was about 35-40pts. There was perhaps an inch between stones, so it would’ve been maybe 32-36 stones on a necklace of similar length?

Both were stunning. Set in WG. The EC one is on an eventual someday list for me!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I wanted to do something similar years ago. Think I even started a thread here?

Anyway, the thing that held me back was that I wanted to vary the spacing, size and shape.
I was told the way it would lay would be awkward. That the heavier stones would pull towards the bottom and it wouldn't sit right.

I'm not sure how true that is but at the time, it made sense. So definitely take care with the spacing and size if you go through with it.

Looking forward to see where this goes!!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say Asschers set at 45deg.

DK :))

Rhd3

Shiny_Rock
I think that could look really chic. Lang antiques had a lovely multi-shape necklace at one point.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't post it but my own is a mix of rounds and carre. I'm adding sprinkle style gemstones to it this year! It is not long though, about 16" since I like this style short on me.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore this idea and would love to make a long DBY of mixed cuts myself one day! Grace had one at a PS GTG several years ago that I really regret not buying. It was absolutely stunning, and about $6K if I remember correctly. I didn't get a pic unfortunately, but it haunts my dreams...

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is my vintage OEC/OMC DBTY. It has graduated stones. I love it and wear most of my pendants on it. DSC_2678.JPG

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
This is gonna be gorgeous and I can't wait to see what you choose! I also think it will be chic and classy!

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Love this idea so much!! Can't wait to see what you come up with. The combination of opera length and asymmetrical spacing evokes an image of careless elegance -- a handful of diamonds just flung into the air, to fall where they may :kiss2:

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
In consideration of a new project, I'd love to see images of DBTY-style necklaces using cuts other than MRBs. So show me your ECs/OECs/Rose/Marquies/Hearts/etc station necklaces. (Images you find on social media are cool too!) And don't be shy about colored gemstones in the mix!

Bonus points for opera length and "sprinkle" (asymmetrical) styles.

This is going to be my 2022 project. I want an opera-length, station necklace, and am curious about designing something slightly "outside the box."

Cheers and may the sparklies be with you!

Love this idea. I've often thought about and searched for pictures of a DBTY - long and different! Yellow gold with diamonds. Maybe print out pictures of the stones then cut and paste to your heart's content. Can't wait to follow your journey on this project.

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In the ‘before times’ I enjoyed day trips to London, to go to the big jewellery shows. One of the most magnificent necklaces I’ve ever had the pleasure of trying was a meter long diamond by the yard style necklace. It was constructed in the 1920’s out of 100 carats (yes one hundred!!!) of alternating OEC’s and antique cut marquis diamonds and set in platinum. Beautifully weighty and so very luxurious. Completely out of my price range. Please excuse the blurry photos
166C0636-2763-4EF2-A3B8-FE0EF804F4D7.jpeg

Have fun, I can wait to see your necklace once it’s done.

Attachments

• 4D50AB2A-C638-4C46-B21D-3C47EC8FE4EB.jpeg
    4D50AB2A-C638-4C46-B21D-3C47EC8FE4EB.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 31

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I love this idea! There’s two different necklaces I once saw at the jeweler’s that live rent free in my mind. I can describe them to you since I don’t have a picture and have googled for the last 30 min to find one that is even somewhat similar. My jeweler doesn’t allow pictures unfortunately. Both necklaces were opera length but prong set and not bezel set.

The first was all ECs, but large ones - each individual stone was about 70pts in size if I remember correctly, and set in a delicate airline halo. There were a total of 10-12 stations on a ~35in necklace (I can’t remember exactly).

The second was multiple shapes - a repeating pattern of the following shapes: oval, pear, emerald, marquise. This necklace had more stations IIRC, quite plentifully scattered. These stones were all set in baskets with flat backs, prong set, no halos, and each individual stone was about 35-40pts. There was perhaps an inch between stones, so it would’ve been maybe 32-36 stones on a necklace of similar length?

Both were stunning. Set in WG. The EC one is on an eventual someday list for me!

Those sound lovely! I wish I could see some prong set station necklaces, flat backs would certainly have advantages. I've googled, but no luck.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I wanted to do something similar years ago. Think I even started a thread here?

Anyway, the thing that held me back was that I wanted to vary the spacing, size and shape.
I was told the way it would lay would be awkward. That the heavier stones would pull towards the bottom and it wouldn't sit right.

I'm not sure how true that is but at the time, it made sense. So definitely take care with the spacing and size if you go through with it.

Looking forward to see where this goes!!

You make a very good point. I think I'd need to be careful about balancing the weight on either side so that it was equal on the left and right sides.

I've been looking at some of the Tiffany scatter-type necklaces and they appear (at least visually, I don't know about actual carat weight) to have the same number of small and large stones on either side. I bet they do that for more than just aesthetics!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Don’t have a necklace but have one bracelet style:

I've always adored your bracelet stack! Delicate and substantial at the same time is no easy feat!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I can't post it but my own is a mix of rounds and carre. I'm adding sprinkle style gemstones to it this year! It is not long though, about 16" since I like this style short on me.

Dang! I wish we could see this!

What color gemstones are you going to add?

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I have a mixed cut but it is 18 inch and symmetrical. AFC1AE89-DB85-4F98-A034-806C3B063FF7.jpeg

Oh I love this! Are those baguettes or ECs in there? I really love having a few rectangular shapes in the mix.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Here is my vintage OEC/OMC DBTY. It has graduated stones. I love it and wear most of my pendants on it. DSC_2678.JPG

Another beauty from Catmom! Your collection seems endless. Can I come over and play in your jewelry box???!!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Love this idea so much!! Can't wait to see what you come up with. The combination of opera length and asymmetrical spacing evokes an image of careless elegance -- a handful of diamonds just flung into the air, to fall where they may :kiss2:

I love this image. Raining diamonds!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
In the ‘before times’ I enjoyed day trips to London, to go to the big jewellery shows. One of the most magnificent necklaces I’ve ever had the pleasure of trying was a meter long diamond by the yard style necklace. It was constructed in the 1920’s out of 100 carats (yes one hundred!!!) of alternating OEC’s and antique cut marquis diamonds and set in platinum. Beautifully weighty and so very luxurious. Completely out of my price range. Please excuse the blurry photos
166C0636-2763-4EF2-A3B8-FE0EF804F4D7.jpeg

Have fun, I can wait to see your necklace once it’s done.
meryl-streep-yes.gif

Oh holy smokes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That looks like it was made for you! GORGEOUS!!! (And your dress rocks too!!!!)

Yes, that would be my dream piece. (But first I'd need to win the lottery or sell my house. )

Those sound lovely! I wish I could see some prong set station necklaces, flat backs would certainly have advantages. I've googled, but no luck.

A jeweler would certainly be able to make it for you, but it might be too expensive given costs of custom jewelry in the US.

If it helps to imagine, I would think of it like a pendant setting. So baskets for each stone, like a pendant basket would be.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I've always adored your bracelet stack! Delicate and substantial at the same time is no easy feat!

Awww thank you!

What’s the tcw and spacing that you are planning for? What about the links/chain type?

Some examples

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Long necklaces flip all the time which is why they're generally bezelled/spectacle set I guess, so at least you get some sparkle regardless of which way the stone is flipped. I wonder if a prong set, flat-backed setting had engraving on the underside whether that could make it look attractive when the stones flipped?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results