shape
carat
color
clarity

David Yurman inspired design - help please!

davnads

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend is inspired by the design (and name) of a David Yurman engagement ring. Specifically the "DY Capri". See picture.

capture_19.jpg

I stopped by one of David Yurman stores and they were selling one similar to pictured with 1.2 carats halo, I color, and vs2 clarity (don't have other specs). Total price for the ring was apx $15K (not including tax).

I am very new to learning about diamonds, rings, etc but my first impression was this seems like a high premium to pay for such a small diamond. Thus wanted to explore building this same ring custom. Few questions:

-Where can I find the exact same roped metal band/setting (platinum)? If I can't buy it exactly Any tips or pointers would be much appreciated if I need someone to due it custom. I live in Chicago.

-What do you think a good diamond be for this type of setting? I wanted bigger then 1.4 carats and REALLY sparkly in the sunlight. I was looking at this one - http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD05021970?track=Detlink1

Thanks again for the help.

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
lets deal with one issue at a time.
what's your overall budget?

Diamond
what size diamond are you looking to get?
what are your color/clarity requirements?

can't tell you how sparkly that diamond you picked out will be as it doesn't have the angles.
Read up on HCA tool and use that to filter out bad stones. Anything that scores over a 2 should be avoided
https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

and read up on idealscope images.

Setting
that setting doesn't look to difficult to reproduce, you can have it custom made at many places.
read this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...rience-in-making-a-harry-winston-halo.183473/
you can skip directly to Step 3 and Step 4 since you're not buying a cushion diamond and you'll find many setting vendors you can contact for a quote.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
to answer the first part of your question, yes you will pay an insane (IMHO) premium for the name. if it is what your SO really wants, and the name is important to her, you need to consider whether a similar/replica setting is something she will be happy with long term.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Yurman or not, to me there's a very strong disconnect in this design. A halo paired with such a heavy rope shank doesn't seem to go together. That could be a fun design for a RHR with a gem stone, but there are so many options for an engagement ring. I know the designer is very trendy right now but has she tried on other rings? I would go to a few more places, just high end jewelers, Tiffanys perhaps & try on everything. After that post her thoughts here & we can help you find an amazing ring.

If she really likes the rope shank here's a beautifully made setting by BGD: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/split-shank-rope-solitaire-18k-white-gold-5364w18

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Some of these designers are WAY overpriced. For something pretty reasonable, check out Adwar.com. They have a Rope Collection. I'm not sure how thick the shank is, but worth a look.

All the best. :)

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with woofmama on trying on more rings if you haven't already. I love that BGD setting :love: BUT just a word of caution -- I tried on similar rings and did not like how they fit. my fingers are thickest at the bottom, and to get a size that wouldn't slide off it had to be snug enough that there was some bulging between the two shanks. :oops: if her fingers aren't cone-shaped like mine that might not be a problem, but i was bummed b/c i love the look in theory, just not on my hands. i think yurman makes a similar ring, so if you wanted to go the route of that BGD ring I would have her try it on.

ETA: depending on her style, a halo around a 1.4+ ct diamond might be overkill (i know its not for lots of PSers, but for me personally i did not and would not halo my 1.3 ct round; i love halos for RHRs but not for everyday wear).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results