Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

David Klass - Help Me With Custom Ring CADs!

BAS2348

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 4, 2015
Messages
63
Hi all,

At the suggestion of mrs-blop, I emailed David Klass (he has been so responsive) and finally have the first set of CADs for our custom ring project. I am not too familiar on evaluating CADs, or how high/low the setting should be - I am taking into consideration that she is a nurse and so the setting cannot be too high.



She chose to go with a channel set style for the shank, and a trellis design. David was able to find a pair of 0.26 ct half-moons for the sides, which I think is a good ratio against our 0.69 ct cushion center. He did offer to find smaller ones if needed.

Thank you!

screen_shot_2016-08-08_at_11.png
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
BAS2348|1470711115|4063730 said:
Hi all,

At the suggestion of mrs-blop, I emailed David Klass (he has been so responsive) and finally have the first set of CADs for our custom ring project. I am not too familiar on evaluating CADs, or how high/low the setting should be - I am taking into consideration that she is a nurse and so the setting cannot be too high.



She chose to go with a channel set style for the shank, and a trellis design. David was able to find a pair of 0.26 ct half-moons for the sides, which I think is a good ratio against our 0.69 ct cushion center. He did offer to find smaller ones if needed.

Thank you!
Have the sides set lower than center by a lot more and have them angle out more. The way it is now its going to look like one blendy weird shape stone. I think e whole thing can sit lower on the finger too.
 

BAS2348

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 4, 2015
Messages
63
Gypsy|1470711278|4063731 said:
BAS2348|1470711115|4063730 said:
Hi all,

At the suggestion of mrs-blop, I emailed David Klass (he has been so responsive) and finally have the first set of CADs for our custom ring project. I am not too familiar on evaluating CADs, or how high/low the setting should be - I am taking into consideration that she is a nurse and so the setting cannot be too high.



She chose to go with a channel set style for the shank, and a trellis design. David was able to find a pair of 0.26 ct half-moons for the sides, which I think is a good ratio against our 0.69 ct cushion center. He did offer to find smaller ones if needed.

Thank you!
Have the sides set lower than center by a lot more and have them angle out more. The way it is now its going to look like one blendy weird shape stone. I think e whole thing can sit lower on the finger too.
Thank you for your feedback Gypsy! Should I be specific (number wise) as to how much lower the sides should be? I've passed along your suggestions to David, hopefully we will have CADs round #2 soon!
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
No, tbey will lower as much as they can. Can't wait for nwxt round.
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,629
I hope the shank is actually bead set and not channel set. It will look better than having gaps between the round diamonds.
 

BAS2348

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 4, 2015
Messages
63
diamondseeker2006|1470775324|4063999 said:
I hope the shank is actually bead set and not channel set. It will look better than having gaps between the round diamonds.
DS can you elaborate a little more on the difference between both? Thank you :)
 

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
21,663
Do you like those 2 metal oval parts that are at the ends of the cathedral shank? I'd get rid of those. If it were my setting, I would
change the end of the cathedral to meet at the basket bar like this setting.

Here is the link for the setting so you can see from the top you just dont see any metal.
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/3-stone-butterflies-diamond-engagement-ring-230.htm



With pave it may end something like the look of this ring (I also hope you are doing bead set and not channel).
Here is a link to the ring in the picture below for more detail...
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/pave-and-side-stones/peggy-18k-white-gold-5359w18

nice_cathedral.png

bgd_ring.png
 

BAS2348

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 4, 2015
Messages
63
tyty333|1470783147|4064044 said:
Do you like those 2 metal oval parts that are at the ends of the cathedral shank? I'd get rid of those. If it were my setting, I would
change the end of the cathedral to meet at the basket bar like this setting.

Here is the link for the setting so you can see from the top you just dont see any metal.
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/3-stone-butterflies-diamond-engagement-ring-230.htm



With pave it may end something like the look of this ring (I also hope you are doing bead set and not channel).
Here is a link to the ring in the picture below for more detail...
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/pave-and-side-stones/peggy-18k-white-gold-5359w18
Tyty333 - I greatly appreciate your suggestions to remove those end pieces! I had the intention of asking whether or not they could be removed, but didn't know how to elaborate. The photos you provided are even better.

We are still looking to pave types, she likes the channel style, but I don't think spaces between the melee would look too attractive.

Would a bright cut pave work with this setting?
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Yes. It would be perfct.
 

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
21,663
Ditto...bright cut/bead set pave would be perfect. The reason being that sometimes you can see in between the pave in a
channel set (where the little triangles are between 2 stones). Also, personally I feel that bright cut/bead set are safer. I
have seen lots of pictures where it looks really bad when a channel set stone comes loose and moves out of it's space. Then
you do see a big gap...just not attractive. Bead set looks similar to channel but has tiny little beads holding the pave in.

Here is a pic of some different pave so you can get a better look.


Glad you are getting rid of the extra metal. My eyes were drawn to it when I first looked at the CADs. They are a un-needed
distraction to me. :shock:

different_pave.png
 

BAS2348

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 4, 2015
Messages
63
Okay CADs round #2 are in. David found a pair of 0.22 ct half-moons, and he updated the shank to end at the basket of the side stones. He also lowered and slightly tilted the moons, and added the bright cut pave (I think) I'm not the greatest at picking out the fine details of CADs so I have emailed him to confirm. Should I ask to lower or tilt any further, or any other aesthetic changes that need to be made?

Thanks all!

_1328.png
 

mrs-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 18, 2013
Messages
6,875
Very pretty! I like all the updates you've made and think they're an improvement. Ditto on the bright cut and on the cathedral arms attaching to the basket.
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,853
Im editing my post becuase mostly it was to say do bright set pave, and you did.

Secondly, I think you could set it lower and adjust the angle of the half moons better if this was not a trellis but more like regular 3 stone. I was going to show you the three stone he did for me, but then I remembered I already showed it to you, so I won't suggest it again. ::)

He needs to try and tuck the half moons in more.

Also, do you need that prongs at the end of the cushions? The ones n/s turning into a 6 prong? I ask only becuase it makes it look oval rather than cushion.
 

mrs-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 18, 2013
Messages
6,875
Niel|1471047266|4065311 said:
Im editing my post becuase mostly it was to say do bright set pave, and you did.

Secondly, I think you could set it lower and adjust the angle of the half moons better if this was not a trellis but more like regular 3 stone. I was going to show you the three stone he did for me, but then I remembered I already showed it to you, so I won't suggest it again. ::)

He needs to try and tuck the half moons in more.

Also, do you need that prongs at the end of the cushions? The ones n/s turning into a 6 prong? I ask only becuase it makes it look oval rather than cushion.
Definitely agree with this. I'd get them removed if it's possible. To my eye, they break up the flow, making the top of the ring look choppy.
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,853
Food for thought.
If you remove the swoopy bits, it takes away a bit of bulkiness from the metal (I still thing he needs to tuck those half moons under a bit more I don't want to see any flat edge from a top view

photogrid_1471048446570.jpg
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
BAS2348|1471029656|4065233 said:
Okay CADs round #2 are in. David found a pair of 0.22 ct half-moons, and he updated the shank to end at the basket of the side stones. He also lowered and slightly tilted the moons, and added the bright cut pave (I think) I'm not the greatest at picking out the fine details of CADs so I have emailed him to confirm. Should I ask to lower or tilt any further, or any other aesthetic changes that need to be made?

Thanks all!
Definately a lot more tilt on those sidestones. It is looking better.

I like the prong removal on the north/orientation suggested. With it the stone looks like an oval. Without it it looks squared off. Which I think is a better look.
 

BAS2348

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 4, 2015
Messages
63
Thank you for the continuing suggestions everyone, especially Niel and Gypsy. I have forwarded the changes to David, hopefully third time's the charm. I need to address the size of the stone on the CAD, i failed to specify that our stone is a BGD cushion and does not measure L X W, so it does look a bit odd and rectangular.
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,853
BAS2348|1471094271|4065478 said:
Thank you for the continuing suggestions everyone, especially Niel and Gypsy. I have forwarded the changes to David, hopefully third time's the charm. I need to address the size of the stone on the CAD, i failed to specify that our stone is a BGD cushion and does not measure L X W, so it does look a bit odd and rectangular.
Well that will make a world of difference!
Also, if it's a true square I definitely see no need for those last 2 prong :)

He may end up neededing different side stones now :think:
 

BAS2348

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 4, 2015
Messages
63
CADs round #3:



Any suggestions? I like the difference without the extra prongs, we are sending our center stone off this week. David said not to worry about the sides for right now.

_5347.jpeg
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,853
Did he adjust the center stone to your correct measurements?

Im partial to it without a trellis design, but if she would prefer the trellis, I think this is a great look!
 

BAS2348

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 4, 2015
Messages
63
Niel|1471360726|4066592 said:
Did he adjust the center stone to your correct measurements?

Im partial to it without a trellis design, but if she would prefer the trellis, I think this is a great look!
Niel he said he would wait for the center stone to move forward (per my request). She does prefer the trellis, she's very drawn to the the swoops.
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,853
BAS2348|1471367709|4066622 said:
Niel|1471360726|4066592 said:
Did he adjust the center stone to your correct measurements?

Im partial to it without a trellis design, but if she would prefer the trellis, I think this is a great look!
Niel he said he would wait for the center stone to move forward (per my request). She does prefer the trellis, she's very drawn to the the swoops.
That that all comes down to personal preference. I think his version of the trellis looks great and I think all that is left to do now is get the stone proportions right
 

BAS2348

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 4, 2015
Messages
63
Hi everyone! I'm back with a bit of an update on our ring. David sent us a plastic mold to look at, we are pretty happy with how everything looks - but it is hard to tell exactly how angled out the half moons will be from the center stone. We are also considering going down to 1.8 mm thickness on the shank, any opinions/suggestions are welcome. Thank you!







I apologize in advance for the poor light/photo quality, iPhones aren't exactly great for detailed photos. The ring is on her hand in all the attached images.

img_13004.jpg

img_13007.jpg

img_13008.jpg
 

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 28, 2014
Messages
3,696
Hi BAS! I'm not a CAD expert but here are the changes that I think I would make in the following diagram with explanation. Hope it makes sense! :wavey:

cad_changes.png

bgd_trellis.png

bgd_trellis_2.png
 

BAS2348

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 4, 2015
Messages
63
ac117|1476378450|4086711 said:
Hi BAS! I'm not a CAD expert but here are the changes that I think I would make in the following diagram with explanation. Hope it makes sense! :wavey:
Thank you for your insight ac117! It's funny the things you don't notice until someone else points them out. I definitely agree with that change you suggested, it's perhaps that detail that we thought was making the shank too wide.
 

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 28, 2014
Messages
3,696
BAS2348|1476384268|4086758 said:
ac117|1476378450|4086711 said:
Hi BAS! I'm not a CAD expert but here are the changes that I think I would make in the following diagram with explanation. Hope it makes sense! :wavey:
Thank you for your insight ac117! It's funny the things you don't notice until someone else points them out. I definitely agree with that change you suggested, it's perhaps that detail that we thought was making the shank too wide.
No problem and I'm happy you agree! You may not even need to change the width to 1.8 if the extra bulk is eliminated. I hope DK is able to make the changes! Looking forward to seeing them!
 

BAS2348

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 4, 2015
Messages
63
ac117|1476385134|4086767 said:
BAS2348|1476384268|4086758 said:
ac117|1476378450|4086711 said:
Hi BAS! I'm not a CAD expert but here are the changes that I think I would make in the following diagram with explanation. Hope it makes sense! :wavey:
Thank you for your insight ac117! It's funny the things you don't notice until someone else points them out. I definitely agree with that change you suggested, it's perhaps that detail that we thought was making the shank too wide.
No problem and I'm happy you agree! You may not even need to change the width to 1.8 if the extra bulk is eliminated. I hope DK is able to make the changes! Looking forward to seeing them!
I called and spoke to Amy about the extra bulk caused by that swoop, and unfortunately she said it could not be tucked back because of how small the half moons are, removing the swoop from its current position would cause a noticeable gap between the center stone and the sides...not sure what to make of that. She said they would try to reduce the thickness of the metal on that swoop.
 

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 28, 2014
Messages
3,696
BAS2348|1476389804|4086789 said:
ac117|1476385134|4086767 said:
BAS2348|1476384268|4086758 said:
ac117|1476378450|4086711 said:
Hi BAS! I'm not a CAD expert but here are the changes that I think I would make in the following diagram with explanation. Hope it makes sense! :wavey:
Thank you for your insight ac117! It's funny the things you don't notice until someone else points them out. I definitely agree with that change you suggested, it's perhaps that detail that we thought was making the shank too wide.
No problem and I'm happy you agree! You may not even need to change the width to 1.8 if the extra bulk is eliminated. I hope DK is able to make the changes! Looking forward to seeing them!
I called and spoke to Amy about the extra bulk caused by that swoop, and unfortunately she said it could not be tucked back because of how small the half moons are, removing the swoop from its current position would cause a noticeable gap between the center stone and the sides...not sure what to make of that. She said they would try to reduce the thickness of the metal on that swoop.
I'd call again and ask them to change which swoop crosses the other over like in my diagram. That should eliminate some of the bulk since the reason it's protruding is because it's on top of the other swoop (which can be seen in their original CAD). Then they should also be able to thin it out and make the shank look more cohesive in width. See more pics below:

original_cad.png

cad_change_2.png

cad_change_3.png
 

Poodles4me

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Nov 19, 2014
Messages
558
Will the finished ring be the same size as the mold? The reason I ask is that the mold seems a bit tight on your fiance's finger. Once she puts on a wedding band she might find the engagement ring a bit uncomfortable to wear. Her fingers are similar to mine, although a small size they are fleshier towards the knuckle.

Edit - I just saw that the ring size is 6.5. I thought a previous thread said her ring size was 4.75. I still think you might need to size up by 1/4.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    June’s Birthstone Trinity

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top