shape
carat
color
clarity

David Klass CAD help

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had thought about that, but to upgrade is so much more money, and my diamond is sentimental to me. I just feel like I’m having such a hard time visualizing from photos so maybe I need to go back into a jewelry store now that I have more understanding of proportions and really look at things in person. I just feel like my diamond could be showcased better, and I want to do it right.
Great plan. Ask questions. What is the size of the center stone they are showing you (mm ideally), what is the weight of diamonds in the melee (write that down and count the number of stones - you can figure out the size), look at the tilt of the stones and side view of the halo. Visit higher-end shops if you can like Harry Winston and Tiffany just to see well-made settings and halos. It will give you a perspective on the ones from other stores. If I may ask, in what area are you from? PS members might be able to recommend specific stores...

Just for grins, have a look at 3-stone settings. This Ritani is lovely in person and gives amazing finger coverage. The small side stones make the center look bigger. Both of these center are similar to yours.

https://jrdunn.com/ritani-three-sto...h2PzbEYk52pzkcZPuY1p1P6muaPrw-bRoC5gAQAvD_BwE

IRL - Sometimes called Ritani Bella Halo and other names
beb15badded6ccc0c75b8af867d6e260.jpg

1ddb0ff9e2262016089217882ddc1880.jpg

This is the Tacori 2623 - Love the top view, not a huge fan of the side view but shows a cushiony center (just like the Tacori you posted - the RoyalT from the top) and round sides.

3stone_centre_halo-jpg.548495

Attachments

• upload_2019-10-5_9-30-15.png
    upload_2019-10-5_9-30-15.png
    789.6 KB · Views: 27
  • upload_2019-10-5_9-32-21.png
    upload_2019-10-5_9-32-21.png
    247.6 KB · Views: 31
  • upload_2019-10-5_9-35-33.png
    upload_2019-10-5_9-35-33.png
    664.6 KB · Views: 29

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
91183FDE-3307-4ADC-8DDD-B2579CEAACF3.jpeg D5AA2D78-EB5C-4856-995F-5CD90E7E4678.jpeg I just stopped in at a store, and the one I liked most is one that won’t even go with my band. Maybe I should just move the band to the right hand and forget trying to work with it. My husband started this whole thing by bringing home a ring from our pawn shop owner friend, and I told him I didn’t want him to spend so much money so I returned it, and someone else ended up buying it. I LOVED it though. The one I liked the most today reminded me of that one, but the center stone is bigger than mine. It won’t work with my band, though. Maybe I should just save up for a bigger stone like you said. Maybe that’s what is really what I want. I’ll attach pictures of the pawn shop ring (bigger) and the one I tried on today (smaller). I think what I like is that because the center stone is bigger, the focus isn’t as much on the halo. I don’t want my ring to look like I’m overcompensating for a small diamond.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
91183FDE-3307-4ADC-8DDD-B2579CEAACF3.jpeg D5AA2D78-EB5C-4856-995F-5CD90E7E4678.jpeg I just stopped in at a store, and the one I liked most is one that won’t even go with my band. Maybe I should just move the band to the right hand and forget trying to work with it. My husband started this whole thing by bringing home a ring from our pawn shop owner friend, and I told him I didn’t want him to spend so much money so I returned it, and someone else ended up buying it. I LOVED it though. The one I liked the most today reminded me of that one, but the center stone is bigger than mine. It won’t work with my band, though. Maybe I should just save up for a bigger stone like you said. Maybe that’s what is really what I want. I’ll attach pictures of the pawn shop ring (bigger) and the one I tried on today (smaller). I think what I like is that because the center stone is bigger, the focus isn’t as much on the halo. I don’t want my ring to look like I’m overcompensating for a small diamond.
When you say it won't go with the band, you mean if you bought the stock setting right? So, if you go custom, you can potentially change the elements that don't work.

BUT, if you want a bigger center, then I'd advise saving your money and go in that direction rather than figure that out after a new, costly setting. Do you have an upgrade policy with your diamond or do you need start anew? That larger cushion cut is lovely and I can see why you loved the ring and the setting. I think its a really pretty balance on your hand. The elongation really works for you.

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, the one you love makes me wonder if what you really want is an elongated cushion instead of trying to create a more square cushion shape with your round diamond. (I'm in the land of switching between a round and a cushion right now, and having made a mistake with my first change, so I feel you on how hard this can be.)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe I should just save up for a bigger stone like you said. Maybe that’s what is really what I want. I’ll attach pictures of the pawn shop ring (bigger) and the one I tried on today (smaller). I think what I like is that because the center stone is bigger, the focus isn’t as much on the halo. I don’t want my ring to look like I’m overcompensating for a small diamond.

No setting will make you happy if a larger diamond is what you really want. I'd get a larger diamond and set it in a simple solitaire until you know 100% what you want. Also, I wouldn't let my wedding band dictate the type of setting I wanted.

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
When you say it won't go with the band, you mean if you bought the stock setting right? So, if you go custom, you can potentially change the elements that don't work.

BUT, if you want a bigger center, then I'd advise saving your money and go in that direction rather than figure that out after a new, costly setting. Do you have an upgrade policy with your diamond or do you need start anew? That larger cushion cut is lovely and I can see why you loved the ring and the setting. I think its a really pretty balance on your hand. The elongation really works for you.

Right, the stock setting wouldn’t work because there would be a gap between it and the band. I’m actually kind of sad I didn’t keep the ring! My fingers are so long that I think the elongated shape is better for me. I’m kind of regretting not keeping that one when I had the chance.

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, the one you love makes me wonder if what you really want is an elongated cushion instead of trying to create a more square cushion shape with your round diamond. (I'm in the land of switching between a round and a cushion right now, and having made a mistake with my first change, so I feel you on how hard this can be.)

Maybe you’re right! I always wished for really small, dainty hands. I tried on an oval today also which looked really good - maybe because of the elongated shape.

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
No setting will make you happy if a larger diamond is what you really want. I'd get a larger diamond and set it in a simple solitaire until you know 100% what you want. Also, I wouldn't let my wedding band dictate the type of setting I wanted.

I think this wedding band is really causing me issues in this whole process. I finally came to that conclusion today trying on stuff.

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
Great plan. Ask questions. What is the size of the center stone they are showing you (mm ideally), what is the weight of diamonds in the melee (write that down and count the number of stones - you can figure out the size), look at the tilt of the stones and side view of the halo. Visit higher-end shops if you can like Harry Winston and Tiffany just to see well-made settings and halos. It will give you a perspective on the ones from other stores. If I may ask, in what area are you from? PS members might be able to recommend specific stores...

Just for grins, have a look at 3-stone settings. This Ritani is lovely in person and gives amazing finger coverage. The small side stones make the center look bigger. Both of these center are similar to yours.

https://jrdunn.com/ritani-three-sto...h2PzbEYk52pzkcZPuY1p1P6muaPrw-bRoC5gAQAvD_BwE

IRL - Sometimes called Ritani Bella Halo and other names
beb15badded6ccc0c75b8af867d6e260.jpg

1ddb0ff9e2262016089217882ddc1880.jpg

This is the Tacori 2623 - Love the top view, not a huge fan of the side view but shows a cushiony center (just like the Tacori you posted - the RoyalT from the top) and round sides.

3stone_centre_halo-jpg.548495

I love these settings. I love three stones, but I feel like the center needs to be way bigger than 1 carat to look right!

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
What would be a good size for me to upgrade to? What is the best size for the value?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What would be a good size for me to upgrade to? What is the best size for the value?

You already have a great inspiration in the ring your husband returned to the pawnshop. Was that too small or too big? The good news is that cushion cuts face up bigger for their weight than most rounds.

Threads. https://www.pricescope.com/communit...f-your-size-7-finger-diamond-ring-here.42699/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pictures-of-size-7-rings.86450/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/large-fingered-ladies-unite.94518/

not me. 8.3 mm on size 7.5
ring_purple2.jpg

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
You already have a great inspiration in the ring your husband returned to the pawnshop. Was that too small or too big? The good news is that cushion cuts face up bigger for their weight than most rounds.

Threads. https://www.pricescope.com/communit...f-your-size-7-finger-diamond-ring-here.42699/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pictures-of-size-7-rings.86450/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/large-fingered-ladies-unite.94518/

not me. 8.3 mm on size 7.5
ring_purple2.jpg

I don’t need one as big as the one I returned, but the main reason I returned it is because I didn’t want him to spend that much money on me. It was 2.76 carats I think not including the setting. What was I thinking, right? Also, the diamond looked a little too yellow for my liking. So I didn’t want to spend the money on a diamond that was too much color for me. The setting I tried on yesterday was very similar with the side trapezoids and antique look. Maybe a cushion of 1.5-1.75 would be a good size for me?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t need one as big as the one I returned, but the main reason I returned it is because I didn’t want him to spend that much money on me. It was 2.76 carats I think not including the setting. What was I thinking, right? Also, the diamond looked a little too yellow for my liking. So I didn’t want to spend the money on a diamond that was too much color for me. The setting I tried on yesterday was very similar with the side trapezoids and antique look. Maybe a cushion of 1.5-1.75 would be a good size for me?
With a cushion, or any non-round, look at the size in mm. Don't look at weigth to decide. Cushions vary widely in spread relative to weight.

I'd also advise that you spend some time just looking at videos of cushions to see what "flavor" you like. In modern cuts, there are crushed ice and crisp facets. There are also antique faceting, both newly cut and true antiques. @tyty333 is good at providing examples of each. The ring you posted (not the pawnn shop one, but the platinum halo) was an antique cushion.

Jewels by Grace has good videos of true antiques: https://www.jewelsbygrace.com/ {very short viewing period, but great diamonds and settings}
Adam at Old World Diamonds: https://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/ {true antiques, great prices, nice guy}
Love Affair Diamonds: http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/ {lovely person, great eye. Look for sales. I scooped up a gorgeous antique round for my BFF's 20-year reset on sale}

August Vintage cuts new antique cushions: https://www.augustvintageinc.net/collections/august-vintage-cushion {@rhino is a cut nut and they are gorgeous}
Victor Canera also has antique cut (moder) diamonds: https://www.victorcanera.com/education/diamonds/canera-antique-cushion

Just spend some time and really look at the diamonds and see what faceting you like. That will help us help you.

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
Wow, thank you so much! Now I have something besides settings to look at! Can’t wait to look at these websites. My husband actually loves cushion cut diamonds, so this could be fun! My dad picked out and bought my diamond for my husband to give to me when we were poor college students. My dad died a few years after that, so mine is very sentimental to me because of that so I could never get rid of it, but it might be fun for my husband and I to pick something out for ourselves after all of these years.

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
I love the August Vintage Cushions and Jewels by Grace has some beauties! I do actually love the vintage ones.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the August Vintage Cushions and Jewels by Grace has some beauties! I do actually love the vintage ones.
I thought you might. I adore old cuts and those old dears are my favs. There are many lovers of antique diamonds here and you'll get lots of help.

But, Victor Canera is the only one of those I listed that offers an upgrade policy with their diamonds. You can put the full purchase price of the stone you buy toward another stone from VC. This does not apply to settings, but its a nice thing to be able to got even bigger should you choose. You also get a good return period. https://www.victorcanera.com/service/gold-upgrade

August Vintage might have an upgrade benefit, but there is nothing on @Rhino 's website to that effect. They are great and I'm sure they would answer any questions. They offer a 14 day return period on diamonds. AV also has laboratory diamonds which he'll cut into his signature antique cushion.

In what part of the world are you located? It would be good to see some antique diamonds. Most of the vendors I've listed are New York or LA. There is another vendor in Chicago.

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
I thought you might. I adore old cuts and those old dears are my favs. There are many lovers of antique diamonds here and you'll get lots of help.

But, Victor Canera is the only one of those I listed that offers an upgrade policy with their diamonds. You can put the full purchase price of the stone you buy toward another stone from VC. This does not apply to settings, but its a nice thing to be able to got even bigger should you choose. You also get a good return period. https://www.victorcanera.com/service/gold-upgrade

August Vintage might have an upgrade benefit, but there is nothing on @Rhino 's website to that effect. They are great and I'm sure they would answer any questions. They offer a 14 day return period on diamonds. AV also has laboratory diamonds which he'll cut into his signature antique cushion.

In what part of the world are you located? It would be good to see some antique diamonds. Most of the vendors I've listed are New York or LA. There is another vendor in Chicago.

I’m in South Carolina. Not great options here probably. I do go to New York a fair amount. I will probably be there in January so maybe I could look at some if I can drag my husband and boys :lol:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m in South Carolina. Not great options here probably. I do go to New York a fair amount. I will probably be there in January so maybe I could look at some if I can drag my husband and boys :lol:
You can call ahead with Old World Diamonds and August Vintage and arrange to see stones. OWD is in downtown. August Vintage is on Long Island, but might be able to work something out. It would be great for you to actually get to look and feel. Even within antiques, there is a lot of variations.

When I'm stone shopping, I send my husband off to do something else. My son adores gems, so he'll come along as long as its not for toooooo long.

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
I will send them all to a basketball game and go by myself! I feel like I might have a new hobby :lol:

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
I actually love the thought of owning an antique diamond that has so much history and love. I need to follow all of these places on Instagram...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results