shape
carat
color
clarity

Dark spot on ASET?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

workerb

Rough_Rock
I am looking at diamonds from jewelers that I have found through pricescope (THANKS!) and was sent this ASET of a color J clarity VS1 ring. What does the dark spot on the ASET mean?
Thanks so much

WorkerBASET.jpg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The dark spots are areas where this diamond is not reflecting light from this position. As the stone is tilted from here these spots may change and reflect light, but not from this angle. The thinness of the arrows tells us that this stone has long lower pavilion mains. It would probably be a more dynamic stone with a little more well defined obscuration pattern.

Overall the stone has a lot of red light and will be a bright stone, but it may actually show dark spots where the black is showing in such a big spot. Do you have a picture of the diamond from the top?

This is one of the wonderful uses of the ASET as a tool, it tells us a great deal about the diamond in a very short time.

Wink

workerb

Rough_Rock
Here is the actual picture of it:

WorkerBPic.jpg

workerb

Rough_Rock
And the ideal scope:

WorkerBIdealscope.jpg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks like what Wink said, leakage, with large lower facets. What are all the stats of the stone? The table, depth, crown, pav angles, star and lower facet size, and girdle thickness.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
These images demontrate why I don''t like ASET for examining light leakage. The ASET is *very* forgiving in this particular example.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/28/2009 9:45:32 PM
Author: Rhino
These images demontrate why I don't like ASET for examining light leakage. The ASET is *very* forgiving in this particular example.
It's not apples to apples (IS-ASET) in this case: IS is backlit. ASET is not.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/28/2009 7:50:38 PM
Author: workerb
Here is the actual picture of it:
Pretty diamond, I can see the dark area clearly though in this position. It would be interesting if you could post the following please

type of lab report and cut grade if applicable
depth%
table%
crown and pavilion angles
girdle thickness
polish and symmetry grades
diameter measurement
star and lower girdle facet percentages ( easy to see it has long lgf's)

workerb

Rough_Rock
I don''t really know how to read this GIA report actually. He wrote out some of the information from the picture but not all of it, so here is the report information. Please let me know how you feel as we can get this for 10k including setting. Thanks!

WorkerBReprot.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, thank you - it could be the steep deep angles and variance causing some leakage in that area.

workerb

Rough_Rock
What would you think about purchasing that ring if we were talking about the one dark area? I asked the jeweler who said it is not easily seen (I know he is biased though). Would you turn down this ring? I am trying to find a larger ring on a budget (I wear a size 8 so my fingers tend to look huge compared to smaller rings, and I like the J color as I am olive myself and think the higher colors are too contrasting).

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/29/2009 9:58:24 AM
What would you think about purchasing that ring if we were talking about the one dark area? I asked the jeweler who said it is not easily seen (I know he is biased though). Would you turn down this ring? I am trying to find a larger ring on a budget (I wear a size 8 so my fingers tend to look huge compared to smaller rings, and I like the J color as I am olive myself and think the higher colors are too contrasting).
It depends on your priorities, if the price is right, you love the stone but don't expect perfection it could be an option. I know what you mean about the finger size, I wear an 8.5 myself. I would keep this one under consideration but if you prefer to buy from a store, have a look at some others before pulling the trigger. If it were me, I wouldn't necessarily pass on it but I would really have a good look first to see if that one was my best alternative.

How much are they asking for the diamond?

workerb

Rough_Rock
Lorelei,
Thank you for your help. They are asking 9650 for the ring and I figure we can get a setting around 600 getting us in just a little over our 10k budget.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/29/2009 10:07:45 AM
Lorelei,
Thank you for your help. They are asking 9650 for the ring and I figure we can get a setting around 600 getting us in just a little over our 10k budget.

Just thinking, Ellen linked you a diamond in the other thread, would you be open to buying online at all?

workerb

Rough_Rock
Definitely open to buying online, I think that is where I will get the best deal. I have contacted James Allen about that ring so hopefully it comes out nice.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/29/2009 10:07:45 AM
Lorelei,
That''s a fair amount of J VS1 for the price. I also applaud your jeweler for providing ASET and IS.

The previous posters have mentioned drawbacks based on the reflector photos. These are legitimate concerns if you''re making cut quality your priority. The ideal-scope, especially, shows leakage that''s eye-visible in my experience...not in an OMG way, just as visibly less lively in a number of lighting conditions compared to round brilliants which return light in those areas and have a sharper contrast pattern. I''ve seen dozens, maybe hundreds of diamonds with this kind of ASET/IS image. I would say that in the world of global cut quality it''s better than average.

Something unmentioned yet is that the 1.93 avg girdle diameter makes it face up more like a well-cut 1.80 ct diamond than a 1.90. However, even when comparing the price to other GIA 1.80 J VS1s it seems you''re being extended a fair discount for the shortcomings the cut purists point out (include me among the purists). But we''re not the ones buying the diamond. What''s important is your priorities balanced with your budget.

WorkerBIdealscope.jpg

Date: 7/29/2009 10:37:24 AM
Author: Lorelei

Just thinking, Ellen linked you a diamond in the other thread, would you be open to buying online at all?
I took a peek before hitting ''submit'' on this post. If you can stretch the budget a tiny bit her suggestion has great potential as long as you don''t mind going to SI clarity.

To be fair to your current jeweler I would tell them what you''ve learned here and (if it were me) disclose other options you''re considering. They appear to be treating you fairly.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results