shape
carat
color
clarity

D FL/IF worth it?

Zozye

Rough_Rock
Hello, So I am thinking about getting a D color FL/IF .50ish ct right hand ring with a HCA ex score and a GIAXXX or AGS000.

Part of me wants a "flawless colorless diamond" the other part know I cant tell the difference with my eyes. My E-ring is a G si1 3Ex and I love it. I'm not color sensitive (I found I am cut sensitive haha) Nor am I clarity crazy. I can see a pin point brown spot in my SI1 and think of it as the diamonds "birth mark", generally I am very into "character" for jewelry and stones.

I know for cheaper I could get a G vs2 bigger or even a F vs1 and by my eyes not see anything.

Do you think a D IF is worth it for me? I know for a bigger stone with out question I would go lower color and clarity but part of me likes the idea of a "perfect stone".

kay1

Shiny_Rock
IF doesn't mean it's 'perfect', it just means at magnification no inclusions were found.

Imho there is a nice feeling to having an IF, the nice clear chart on the cert, and never looking down and thinking is that an inclusion?! from what i've seen once you spot one it's easy to keep seeing it.

That said, VVS is enough to give you that peace of mind. Then there's colour, F is enough to know it's icy white.

I might be inclined to go for IF or VVS but i don't think i'd pay the premium for D. Going right to the top D/IF just increases the price to such a level that you end up with a tiny stone.

In the end its a personal decision and no one can make it for you.

BTW i recently went into cartier and they were charging $260k for a 2ct / D / IF, that's the price of a small house :razz:

brb, just need to go put this on hold...

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-7-carat-ideal-cut-d-color-fl-clarity_LD02387785

:razz:

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
Based on what you said (not color sensitive, into unique aspects of stones / stones with character, not incredibly clarity sensitive) I would suggest getting the most amazingly-cut, clean (VS2 or better maybe?), F or G colored stone you can find. And take the money you saved by not going for D/E and IF and put that into the cut... and the size. :D

kay1

Shiny_Rock
Awh i ran the HCA tool on that 7.57ct and it said "4.3 - Good - Only if price is your main criterion"

and i was ready to buy as well...

Zozye

Rough_Rock
Your both right. I guess I am just in to the idea of a D/FL, but is't not worth the mark up for the paper.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's a personal thing. If I had a lot of money to spend on jewelry, I probably still wouldn't buy an IF unless I could avoid it, and with a round brilliant, you can avoid it. I would buy a D though, just not an IF. I don't consider clarity worth a budget raise in rounds.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
After all the controversy here this past week I will say that we are talking a bout .50 diamond and if D FL/IF makes you happy then you should go for it. If you want a larger stone you know you can always go down in color and clarity. Since you already have your ering and this is a right hand ring you might be thrilled to have the top cut and color. Its really your choice.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the idea of owning an IF diamond, but truthfully it seems like a huge waste of money. No one throw a tomato at me :cheeky:

CanuckAB

Shiny_Rock
It's your money. Only you can decide where to spend it. ;-)

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zozye|1395365914|3638383 said:
Hello, So I am thinking about getting a D color FL/IF .50ish ct right hand ring with a HCA ex score and a GIAXXX or AGS000.

Part of me wants a "flawless colorless diamond" the other part know I cant tell the difference with my eyes. My E-ring is a G si1 3Ex and I love it. I'm not color sensitive (I found I am cut sensitive haha) Nor am I clarity crazy. I can see a pin point brown spot in my SI1 and think of it as the diamonds "birth mark", generally I am very into "character" for jewelry and stones.

I know for cheaper I could get a G vs2 bigger or even a F vs1 and by my eyes not see anything.

Do you think a D IF is worth it for me? I know for a bigger stone with out question I would go lower color and clarity but part of me likes the idea of a "perfect stone".
For my dear Daughter's 33 birthday I bought her a D/IF 0.33 H&A. It was a gesture of the measure of my love for her. If you would love having a D/IF I say go for it! It will always be very special to you and bring you pleasure.

{the only uncomfortable thing about my Daughter's .33 was that she had it bezel set so there's no way to easily ID the diamond now].

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP - it is worth it if *you* value it - clearly you have knowledge and understanding of diamonds and the 4 Cs - and certainly an ideal-cut D-IF/FL would be amazing - and not cost-prohibitive - but whether it is more amazing than a same-size F/VS2 or a much larger G/H-SI1 is something only you can decide. [FWIW, I totally get where you are coming from, I also plan to get an ideal-cut high-color/high-clarity half-carat diamond... but I'm likely going with D-VS1]

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Yes, it's worth it. You'll know you bought the best, no compromises.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl: :appl: :appl:
Andelain|1395412228|3638725 said:
Yes, it's worth it. You'll know you bought the best, no compromises.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not to me... but it's not my money or my stone. :bigsmile:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is size everything to you? Sounds like it's not. Some prefer size, some prefer a colorless stone. It's your preference.

I wasn't sure of the current price of a .50 D IF diamond but, upon looking, see it's not super high...Personally, I'd go down in clarity to pay less, but that's *my* preference (based on always being on a budget) and I already have a D colored stone so it's not something I'm currently obsessing over having. I have other current obsessions. :cheeky:

If you really want one. Go for it!

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, it is worth it, for what it is.

Would a F color / VS2 diamond appear much different from a D/IF to anyone except an expert with a loupe? Probably not.

If you're looking to get more 'bang for your buck,' I would suggest F/VS2 combos. The IF clarity only means they couldn't find imperfections with a 10x loupe, but it does not mean the stone is flawless in any way.

In short, as long as you know what you're getting, it can definitely be worth it!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you think a D IF is worth it for me?

Only you can answer that.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
part of me likes the idea of a "perfect stone".

I have a D color stone w/ sbf, and I love it. Wouldn't trade it. But I did go down to SI1 (totally eye clean), as I can't see the inclusions anyway. So why pay for something you can't see (inclusions - or lack thereof)? You CAN see color, so I'd go for the D color, but maybe drop clarity a bit if you're open to that. But yes I can totally see why gazing at a D IF would make you happy inside! :bigsmile:

Zozye

Rough_Rock
Ok next thought/opinion's wanted.... Should I pick something other then a RB?

I collect gemstones (just starting out) and want a diamond of each shape. So knowing I'll get a D color and a VVS1/2 or IF do you think I should get a cut that would normally show color like a asscher or emerald cut?
I'm thinking a asscher now so I can have one of that shape and have my "D" stone. I plan to put it in a platinum art deco type setting.

I'm sorry if there has been drama on the form lately, I haven't been on in several months, I didn't know and am not trying to start anything.

Also I know its my money and what ever I want. But I enjoy hearing how other people have felt about their stones and choices.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
Zozye|1395437952|3639046 said:
Ok next thought/opinion's wanted.... Should I pick something other then a RB?

I collect gemstones (just starting out) and want a diamond of each shape. So knowing I'll get a D color and a VVS1/2 or IF do you think I should get a cut that would normally show color like a asscher or emerald cut?
I'm thinking a asscher now so I can have one of that shape and have my "D" stone. I plan to put it in a platinum art deco type setting.

I'm sorry if there has been drama on the form lately, I haven't been on in several months, I didn't know and am not trying to start anything.

Also I know its my money and what ever I want. But I enjoy hearing how other people have felt about their stones and choices.

I have no clue what your budget is, but if you are looking for a D-colored Asscher with high clarity, check out this puppy:

.90ct, D, VVS2 - OCTAVIA
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/10725/

If you're looking for a D-colored cushion with high clarity, check out this stone:

.5ct, D, VVS2 - August Vintage Cushion (with medium blue fluor - AWESOME)
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9246/

Zozye

Rough_Rock
I love the Octavia cut but I'm looking at $2,000ish for the stone and $1,500 tops for the setting. That's why I'm looking so small for the D color. Asscher .40-.60 Ct D VVS1/2 is my current search

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another shout out here for : It could be worth it - if it makes you happy then I say DO IT!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zozye|1395440696|3639074 said:
I love the Octavia cut but I'm looking at $2,000ish for the stone and $1,500 tops for the setting. That's why I'm looking so small for the D color. Asscher .40-.60 Ct D VVS1/2 is my current search

If I read this correctly you are looking for a .4-.6 Asscher, which will be tiny.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zozye|1395367864|3638409 said:
Your both right. I guess I am just in to the idea of a D/FL, but is't not worth the mark up for the paper.
Funny, some time I do wanna buy a small size D/IF RB just to have a AGS report with all 0s... :wacko:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1395446762|3639118 said:
Zozye|1395440696|3639074 said:

If I read this correctly you are looking for a .4-.6 Asscher, which will be tiny.

not sure how I missed that you are looking for a square!
I must have been having a seniorita moment.
I had a 0.5 that was so small I could not tell that it was square, upgraded to a 0.90 and it was still too small to see the steps without looking very closely. Finally ended up with a 1.5, which was the size of a RB one ct. But you are undoubtedly younger than I am and can see more detail. =)

doubledouble

Shiny_Rock
What about an emerald cut? They face up bigger than asschers, right?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If money were no object, yes I would get a perfect stone. BUT: someone mentioned on here in the last week a IF stone turns into a lower clarity as soon as it goes out the door. Appraise it after a year of wear and it won't be IF any more. So I guess no, I wouldn't.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
My ering is an 1.62ct E IF. While I love it, I wish my DH had gone down in clarity/color and up in size. It's an asscher, so it faces up small. Even DH has said he wishes it faced up larger :(

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i would love, love, love *this* stone:

http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-diamond-ring?elem=head&forceStep=DIAMONDS_STEP&track=main1#diamonds_forceStep=DIAMONDS_STEP|builder=BYOR|pid=LD04257565

I think something like that in a gypsy-style ring, or in an ann mackay style, which flatters smaller sized stones, or even in a 3 stone with equally perfect side stones of, say, 1/3ct each, would be just breathtaking. In my mind, I'd know what it was, and I'd enjoy it for my love of diamonds and their structure and possibilities, rather than just what my eye could see.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results