shape
carat
color
clarity

Cutting quality of MMD.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
New to LG, would love to get some ideas in this area.
My impression is that the cut qualities of MMD varies by vendors, and it sounds Distinctive Gems is one of the best on precise cutting & ideal light performance of MMD. I wonder what are the other vendors who are comparable in terms of cutting?
Also, do the cutters who cut the mined diamonds cut MMD too, or it's the manufacturer / company with the lab who cut them?

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
It’s the same as with mined diamonds — cut varies and you can use the reports and HCA to evaluate cut angles.

I haven’t shopped at Distinctive Gems personally, but based on forum reputation I believe Jon to be an honest and reliable vendor. He has his own set of specialty cuts also from what I understand.

That said, you can find ideal cut stones across many vendors, it’s just a matter of doing the research. Rarecarat is a helpful search tool because you can filter for cut specifics. I believe the Pricescope search now includes lab diamonds, and James Allen carries lab diamonds as well although there have been some recent customer service issues from JA noted on the board so I hesitate to recommend them outright.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
It’s the same as with mined diamonds — cut varies and you can use the reports and HCA to evaluate cut angles.

I haven’t shopped at Distinctive Gems personally, but based on forum reputation I believe Jon to be an honest and reliable vendor. He has his own set of specialty cuts also from what I understand.

That said, you can find ideal cut stones across many vendors, it’s just a matter of doing the research. Rarecarat is a helpful search tool because you can filter for cut specifics. I believe the Pricescope search now includes lab diamonds, and James Allen carries lab diamonds as well although there have been some recent customer service issues from JA noted on the board so I hesitate to recommend them outright.

Thx a lot~Heard good things about Jon too, and found his videos extremely helpful.

I did tried the PS search just for a general view but seems no diamonds can be located. Will look into Rarecarat to have some more insight.

Definitely noted there’re some recent issues on JA. Honestly not fully confident on purchase from them at the moment. Part of the reasons also their way of operation not as transparent as some others. However thanks for trying to show me the options^^

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I would not have a problem buying a stone from JA but would currently consider getting it set elsewhere. Their lab stones aren't the best value however so I got my Asscher via a vendor on Rare Carat instead.

As for who cuts lab stones? From what I've heard MMD roughs are harder to cut (so takes longer to produce the same cut from a natural rough), so I would think only experienced cutters would take on the challenge. It's just a personal opinion of course. Also, as someone who stalked both mined and lab Asschers for a year, I can say that I've seen the worst Asschers among natural stones whereas most lab Asschers looked good. Of course there were more natural Asschers than lab to compare with and no doubt horrible lab Asschers too.

Anyway, I think if you're after a specialty cut or high performance stone then Distinctive Gems is a good bet but I think most cutters would be open to doing a custom stone if you asked.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
I would not have a problem buying a stone from JA but would currently consider getting it set elsewhere. Their lab stones aren't the best value however so I got my Asscher via a vendor on Rare Carat instead.

As for who cuts lab stones? From what I've heard MMD roughs are harder to cut (so takes longer to produce the same cut from a natural rough), so I would think only experienced cutters would take on the challenge. It's just a personal opinion of course. Also, as someone who stalked both mined and lab Asschers for a year, I can say that I've seen the worst Asschers among natural stones whereas most lab Asschers looked good. Of course there were more natural Asschers than lab to compare with and no doubt horrible lab Asschers too.

Anyway, I think if you're after a specialty cut or high performance stone then Distinctive Gems is a good bet but I think most cutters would be open to doing a custom stone if you asked.
Thx a lot for sharing your views and experience ^^

What especially draw my attention is the thought that MMD rough is harder to cut? Shouldn’t Lab grown rough be of the same chemical and physical properties as mined stone? Would love to know more about this, I might have heard of something like the shape of LG rough is generally shallower, but definitely I have no proof and even forgot where the source is.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Distinctive gems offers some of the best MMDs and/ or moissanite available in terms of cutting. You'll pay extra but IMHO its worth it

I can’t even differentiate their diamond and moisy on their video, though I do believe they should look different from what I know.

I am particularly interested in their AVR, but have a question. I wonder if their AVR, both mined and LG cut by the same cutter(s)? Are they on the same level of cut despite the rough being different?

Not sure if someone owns both:)

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Distinctive gems offers some of the best MMDs and/ or moissanite available in terms of cutting. You'll pay extra but IMHO its worth it

You know...great idea. I reached out today. I do trust him to find a nice pair of diamond studs. Cut is king.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I can’t even differentiate their diamond and moisy on their video, though I do believe they should look different from what I know.

I am particularly interested in their AVR, but have a question. I wonder if their AVR, both mined and LG cut by the same cutter(s)? Are they on the same level of cut despite the rough being different?

Not sure if someone owns both:)

Jon loves to talk diamonds. I would reach out and ask him!

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Thx a lot for sharing your views and experience ^^

What especially draw my attention is the thought that MMD rough is harder to cut? Shouldn’t Lab grown rough be of the same chemical and physical properties as mined stone? Would love to know more about this, I might have heard of something like the shape of LG rough is generally shallower, but definitely I have no proof and even forgot where the source is.

No worries! I'd love to know why too but a number of people in the trade have noted that lab roughs are just that bit harder. Alex Parks said that his cutter takes at least an extra 30 min or so to cut a step cut with a lab rough. Perhaps the growing process has something to do with how tighter the atoms bond together? I am definitely no scientist so hopefully someone can weigh in. I'm also not sure if there's a difference in CVP and HPHT roughs in terms of how easy it is to cut them. Bottom line is that while they are harder to cut, it can't be by that much that it isn't worth doing.

Natural roughs are octahedrons whereas lab roughs are slabs. This image from GIA shows the difference. Links through to a page that explains a lot of stuff but still not sure why lab stones are harder to cut!

rough-diamonds-natural-laboratory-grown-636x358.png

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
No worries! I'd love to know why too but a number of people in the trade have noted that lab roughs are just that bit harder. Alex Parks said that his cutter takes at least an extra 30 min or so to cut a step cut with a lab rough. Perhaps the growing process has something to do with how tighter the atoms bond together? I am definitely no scientist so hopefully someone can weigh in. I'm also not sure if there's a difference in CVP and HPHT roughs in terms of how easy it is to cut them. Bottom line is that while they are harder to cut, it can't be by that much that it isn't worth doing.

Natural roughs are octahedrons whereas lab roughs are slabs. This image from GIA shows the difference. Links through to a page that explains a lot of stuff but still not sure why lab stones are harder to cut!

rough-diamonds-natural-laboratory-grown-636x358.png

HPHT vs CVP is an interesting topic. One quick and simple (or overly simple) question: anyone of these two methods is better than one another?

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
HPHT vs CVP is an interesting topic. One quick and simple (or overly simple) question: anyone of these two methods is better than one another?

It really depends what you mean by “better.” Both methods can produce beautiful diamonds, but each method has unique drawbacks I’d want to watch for while I was shopping. From my understanding HTHP diamonds can be more prone to odd inclusions and off tints, while CVD diamonds can have stria that impacts performance.

If you search the forum there have been a few threads about this. I think most of them are a bit dated at this point. HTHP is an older technology and I believe from a vendor point of view CVD is becoming the preferred manufacturing method. Again, it’s less a matter of choosing a method and more a matter of choosing an individual diamond, while keeping an educated eye out for the issues that can arise with each method.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
It really depends what you mean by “better.” Both methods can produce beautiful diamonds, but each method has unique drawbacks I’d want to watch for while I was shopping. From my understanding HTHP diamonds can be more prone to odd inclusions and off tints, while CVD diamonds can have stria that impacts performance.

If you search the forum there have been a few threads about this. I think most of them are a bit dated at this point. HTHP is an older technology and I believe from a vendor point of view CVD is becoming the preferred manufacturing method. Again, it’s less a matter of choosing a method and more a matter of choosing an individual diamond, while keeping an educated eye out for the issues that can arise with each method.

“HTHP” in above should be “HPHT.” Apologies! I shouldn’t post while distracted! :roll:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results