shape
carat
color
clarity

Cut quality on 1/2 point diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RMA

Rough_Rock
I''m encrusting a band with approximately sixty 1/2 pt (1mm) diamonds. Will cut quality have a big impact on these small stones? If so, how can I have my designer screen for better cuts without an Idealscope? Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sure, this is good and bad melee. How you get your jeweler to get the best I''m not sure.... Are you working local or online?

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, it will make a difference - exactly like it would for a large stone. However, bear in mind the cost vs. where the melee will be located and its visibility.

I think you either trust your craftsman to pick good melee, or you can buy it from someone like WF, GOG or HPD (not sure they provide melee, but they certainly have the eye to sort it out).

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh yes it makes a difference. Good melee looks like a lake-glittering with tiny sparkles everywhere in the right light. Bad melee looks like cloudy quartz.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 9:31:12 AM
Author: oldmancoyote
Yes, it will make a difference - exactly like it would for a large stone. However, bear in mind the cost vs. where the melee will be located and its visibility.

I think you either trust your craftsman to pick good melee, or you can buy it from someone like WF, GOG or HPD (not sure they provide melee, but they certainly have the eye to sort it out).
They used to sell them, I "assume" they still do. WF doesn''t, and I don''t "think" GOG does either. I''ve been trying to find a thread on vendors for melee, but haven''t found it. If the OP is working with an online vendor though, some might not want/like to buy from another....

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
unless it is part of making the jewelery messing with melee is a money losing deal for any vendor unless it is 1ct lots from a known supplier and no further sorting.
Some will do it as a favor to good customers but they would be insane to actually advertise it.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Idealscopes are inexpensive and terrific for this. Recommend your designer to get one. You aren''t the first, and you surely won''t be the last client with this request.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIAP ICGA(AGS)NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

wishinpink

Brilliant_Rock
I''m encrusting a band with approximately sixty 1/2 pt (1mm) diamonds. Will cut quality have a big impact on these small stones? If so, how can I have my designer screen for better cuts without an Idealscope? Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

I have nothing to add other than I love the word "ENCRUSTING" =D

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm still a little surprised Neil suggested using an IS on 1/2 point diamonds.....

Rather than discuss a specific seller, let's talk about calling diamonds D/IF with no GIA report.
What this indicates is a total disregard for selling using accurate descriptions, and simply throwing around terms that are really supposed to mean something.....

RMA- if you pick the person making the ring carefully, you should be able to trust them to use very well cut diamonds.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The biggest cut issue with melee, especially when you're talking about a LOT of melee is to choose stones that are similar to one another. This turns out to be an area where the IS is really quite useful. Sieve the stones for size and then pick the best matching set from the parcel using the usual IS rules for which ones are 'best'. I actually really like my tabletop ASET even better for this application because you can lay out and look at dozens of stones on the glass at once but the IS is cheap and there's a lot to be said for that. Half pointers is definitely pushing the issue and this is more applicable to 10 pointers but the same approach applies.

Where did someone say the subject stones are D/IF? Did I miss a post?

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The post above my prior post Neil- someone on eBay is selling D/IF 200 per carat stones.

So, you''re suggesting using the ASET like a standing loupe.
Trying to use an IS would be totally impractical.

I used to be quite speedy with a standing loupe.
Personally, I feel that it''s possible to select effectively using the standing loupe.
It''s also true that many of the factories producing small goods today are unbelievably consistent.
Chinese melee comes to mind....amazing makes, and remarkable consistency....

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
D/IF = Darned Imprudent and Foolish???
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results