shape
carat
color
clarity

small stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Solly

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Is there an online vendor that sells loose, small stones (approx 0.05ct)? I assume these would rarely be certified and there would be a wide variety of cut qualities. How can one go about ensuring such small stones have a high quality cut? (same can be asked for colour, clarity).

Thanks
20.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
What are you planning on using the stones for?

Solly

Rough_Rock
I plan to use them on the side of a band (either side of centre stone)
19.gif

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
With such small stones, usually the jeweler who makes the ring will source them for you. It''s not cost-effective for a consumer to buy them himself. If you want a particular color or clarity, ask for them. The jeweler should be able to order in whatever you want. You can also ask for ideal cut or Hearts and Arrows melee. I''m assuming you''re talking about rounds, but this advice applies to other shapes as well.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2008 12:48:11 AM
Author: urseberry
With such small stones, usually the jeweler who makes the ring will source them for you. It''s not cost-effective for a consumer to buy them himself. If you want a particular color or clarity, ask for them. The jeweler should be able to order in whatever you want. You can also ask for ideal cut or Hearts and Arrows melee. I''m assuming you''re talking about rounds, but this advice applies to other shapes as well.
Ditto.

This has been asked before, and as far as I know, there''s nowhere to buy melee.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
INteresting... So do they make small stones for pave in other shapes, such as cushion etc? If so have you ever seen it used?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve never seen any in real life outside of round and Princess, but yes, melee comes in many cuts. I''ve seen OMC melee on here, but not cushion. That doesn''t mean they don''t cut them though.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiaGem just posted cushion melee the other day on his cushion thread. So I''m sure you can get melee in any cut. But I don''t see how you''d get much effect from really tiny ones, so I''d think most people use rounds for the tiny melee.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/9/2008 8:38:08 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
DiaGem just posted cushion melee the other day on his cushion thread. So I''m sure you can get melee in any cut. But I don''t see how you''d get much effect from really tiny ones, so I''d think most people use rounds for the tiny melee.
I did see that actually. I just have never seen it in a setting, and would love to. Maybe he can swing over to this thread and show us an example???

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/9/2008 7:47:26 AM
Author: Ellen

This has been asked before, and as far as I know, there''s nowhere to buy melee.

There are many places to buy melee. It will never be papered as commented above, but there are actually H&A quality melee available for those who want it.

Ask your favorite vendor, he or she will know where to get it or know who does.

Wink

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s good to know Wink, I wish you had been around when the others asked. I''ll file it away for future reference.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You are very welcome.

Wink

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2008 9:15:50 AM
Author: Wink

There are many places to buy melee. It will never be papered as commented above, but there are actually H&A quality melee available for those who want it.

Wink
Wow, that's new news to me, too.
VERY good to know, thanks!
Can you get them, Wink?

Thanks,
Lynn

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
WF is a great place to get really pretty jewelry with excellent cut melee.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/9/2008 3:52:21 PM
Author: Lynn B
Date: 2/9/2008 9:15:50 AM

Author: Wink

Wink

Wow, that''s new news to me, too.

VERY good to know, thanks!

Can you get them, Wink?

Thanks,

Lynn

Yes, as can most of the vendors here. Your Pricescope vendors are a special breed of very well educated and connected jewelers. In my opinion, any jeweler who works hard enough to stay as well educated as the Pricescope crowd is way above and beyond the average jeweler you will find in a mall.

We all delight in finding ways to make good things happen.

Wink

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, I think there may be a misunderstanding here. What I took the OP to be asking, and what "others" I referred to as asking is, can you call up a vendor and say, I want 25 ideal cut .02 melee. They (WF) don't sell melee loose, they put and sell melee in their jewelry. I don't know/haven't heard of a vendor that will sell melee outright/loose.

Wink, you're saying you know of such vendors that will sell them outright?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2008 5:52:33 PM
Ok, I think there may be a misunderstanding here. What I took the OP to be asking, and what ''others'' I referred to as asking is, can you call up a vendor and say, I want 25 ideal cut .02 melee. They (WF) don''t sell melee loose, they put and sell melee in their jewelry. I don''t know/haven''t heard of a vendor that will sell melee outright/loose.

Wink, you''re saying you know of such vendors that will sell them outright?
Wink has on accasion I dont know if he will anymore, Gary @ diamondexpert.com also has.
But and this is a huge issue if it takes 15 stones your setter is going too want atleast 20 maybe 25 and you might or might not get some of them back depending on how many get lost or damaged.
That is why its best to have the person making the ring get them!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info strm!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2008 6:10:59 PM
Thanks for the info strm!
your welcome.

Also I should have mentioned a lot of the custom shops will not accept outside melee for that very reason.
MM did at one time but wont anymore and I''d be shocked if one that is busy would.
Some of the local ones and some of the up and comers might.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/9/2008 5:52:33 PM

Wink, you''re saying you know of such vendors that will sell them outright?

Yes.

Wink

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Wink!

Solly

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info! very helpful!
emwink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results