shape
carat
color
clarity

Cut of the Cushion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hwman

Rough_Rock
I have been looking for "the perfect" stone for a while. I kind of know what I am looking for. 2.6 - 3.02ct E - G color, VS2 - SI2 (eye clean) l/w of 1.06 -1.16 (I don''t like them perfectly square.) I like a smaller table and like the look of high crown angles rather then a flatter looking stone. No Culet. And of cause one with a ton of fire and brilliance!

I would rather pay for size then clarity. If you can''t tell to the naked eye whats the point?

The search has been very time consuming (almost 3 months)to say the least and I''m still not there yet.

I have a few questions I was hoping someone could help with.

1. I get the difference between a cushion brilliant and a modified brilliant. I''m not sure that I have a preference. I have seen some modified stones look very "crushed icy" and some not. Im not a fan of the very crushed ice look. What causes a modified stone to look less like crushed icey than another?

2. What is the difference between 8 pavilion mains and 4 in terms of how it effects the look of the stone?

3. I have seen 8 mains that are thick and one that are thin. What is the difference?

4. The best stone I have seen so far is one that is modified with 8 thin mains. Too bad its too small. Anyone know where to find other like that?

cushion brilliant 4 mains.jpg

hwman

Rough_Rock
Here are diagrams of what I am talking about...

The Cuts.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 1:13:08 AM
Author:hwman
I have been looking for 'the perfect' stone for a while. I kind of know what I am looking for. 2.6 - 3.02ct E - G color, VS2 - SI2 (eye clean) l/w of 1.06 -1.16 (I don't like them perfectly square.) I like a smaller table and like the look of high crown angles rather then a flatter looking stone. No Culet. And of cause one with a ton of fire and brilliance!

I would rather pay for size then clarity. If you can't tell to the naked eye whats the point?

The search has been very time consuming (almost 3 months)to say the least and I'm still not there yet.

I have a few questions I was hoping someone could help with.

1. I get the difference between a cushion brilliant and a modified brilliant. I'm not sure that I have a preference. I have seen some modified stones look very 'crushed icy' and some not. Im not a fan of the very crushed ice look. What causes a modified stone to look less like crushed icey than another?

2. What is the difference between 8 pavilion mains and 4 in terms of how it effects the look of the stone?

3. I have seen 8 mains that are thick and one that are thin. What is the difference?

4. The best stone I have seen so far is one that is modified with 8 thin mains. Too bad its too small. Anyone know where to find other like that?
There can always be exceptions to the rule, so that is why it is so important to see images of the diamond but usually the ones with the crushed ice appearance will say 'cushion modified brilliant' on the grading report, the pavilion mains are rather more complex so to speak which can aid this look.
cushionplotpic7mod%20copy.jpg

This thread might be useful too

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-cushion-by-any-other-name.36001/

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

Generally speaking, the 8 mains thick have a more antique look with broad chunky facets. The 8 main thins are modern with lots of fire and sparkle if well cut. It is not as difficult to find the 8 main thin plot in EX/EX and no culet. It is much more difficult to find the 8 mains thick without a culet and with Ex/EX grading - I don''t think I have seen one in the past year. Those are just not the typical characteristics that come with the more "antique" look.

Are you working with a PS vendor?

hwman

Rough_Rock
Thanks Charmypoo. Where have you seen the 8 mains thin cushion brilliants with no culet?

Is there a specific cutter for those or someone known for them?

I was working with Bob at Whiteflash, and of cause Mark T, at ERD who both by the way are fantastic to work with but still haven''t had much luck finding what I want. Thanks again for your help.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Try contacting Goodoldgold (ask for Jon), they have lots of cushions, and they will do videos for you.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2009 9:07:30 AM
Author: hwman
Thanks Charmypoo. Where have you seen the 8 mains thin cushion brilliants with no culet?

Is there a specific cutter for those or someone known for them?

I was working with Bob at Whiteflash, and of cause Mark T, at ERD who both by the way are fantastic to work with but still haven''t had much luck finding what I want. Thanks again for your help.
I have frequently seen the 8 main thin cushion brillants with no culet. I have one myself that does not have a culet. I personally like the look of the modern cushions to not have a culet. For the antique cushions, I think the culet suits them well.

There is one cutter with many 8 main thin cushions - Mark has access to their diamonds and can get them easily. You will also frequently find them on BlueNile.

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Are you looking for the Modified - 8 main thin pattern? I ask because this is typically the crushed ice look (as Lorelei said), and above you mentioned you didn''t like this look.

As CharmyPoo mentioned, this is the most common pattern...there are many like this when you search BN or even using the PS search on this website.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results