shape
carat
color
clarity

cut/clarity question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

schmancy

Rough_Rock
In my quest to learn as much as possible about cut quality, I have been scouring all the online resources I can find. Inevitably, I came across Fred Cuellar’s site. I was somewhat put off by his self-aggrandizement and his flippant responses to questions, but nevertheless, I called his helpline. (Can’t hurt, right?) Anyway, DCI sent me a free copy of his book, and I read the chapter on the 4 C’s. I just finished a search of diamondtalk and pricescope, and so I’m aware of his reputation, but I have a question about one of his points, which seemed like it might be reasonable. He talks about correspondence between color and clarity; that it doesn’t make sense to buy a stone with high clarity/low color and vice versa. I’m not considering buying a stone with a great color/clarity disparity, but I wonder if some of the experts would comment on this idea.
Thanks

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I don't think there is one single recipe. It is very much a matter of taste and personal preferences. There are different factors (temper, education, culture, social and economic status, etc.), which affect ones priorities.

Someone might like warmer colors but value high clarity = purity.

Another type of people like Garry (Cut Nut) prefers higher colors (D-F) because they are more visible but clarity can be SI1-2 as long you can't see the inclusions. Doesn’t it sound reasonable?

There is a category of people who appreciate precision of cut the most (like H&A and Eightstar lovers). For them cut is more important than cut, clarity and carat weight.

I think everyone can learn and decide for him/herself what is reasonable. After all, one can prefer spending the money on something more practical/useful than a diamond ;-)

jamesd

Shiny_Rock
Fred's point is reasonable. There seems little point in getting an IF L... unless you have a strong personal preference for IF or L.

If all you want is a diamond where you can't see anything from very close you might start looking at the SI2 I area. If you don't care about looking from a foot away and are more interested in three feet away, consider starting with I1 or sI2 and I or J. As long as you can see what the inclusions are and considering the color of the setting as well as the diamond.

If you can meet your size and cut preferences with those and have money to spare, start shifting up the color and clarity. Color probably matters more but some people do like the warmer colors so don't assume that D is best unless you know that you prefer more colorless diamonds.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi JemesD, i'm not sure about IF-L combination but K could look quite all right in yellow gold settings :)

from Garry' tutorial.

btw, I like your ikon JamesD. It looks pretty empty :tongue: :wavey: [/u]

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 7/24/2002 9:03:11 PM

Hi JemesD, i'm not sure about IF-L combination but K could look quite all right in yellow gold settings :)
----------------

LOL Leonid!

:bigsmile:

jamesd

Shiny_Rock
What To Buy looks good to me as well.

The user icon is not quite perfect yet. Still has the border around it and takes some vertical space but I'll live with the closest I can get to the effect I was after.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results