shape
carat
color
clarity

Cut advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Autumn

Rough_Rock
I have a similar question on a fancy cut diamond. (144 facets I believe)It is an IGI certified, 1.58ct at GVVS2Proportions: Good
Table 66%
Crown: 11.5%
Pavillion: 44.5%
Finish: Good
Fluorescense: SlightQuote is at $12.7KWhat do you think? Thank you in advance!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Autumn,144-facet diamond is not a fancy cut. It is round shape with extra facets.If you look at proportions of this diamond as round brilliant, you can realize it is very poor cut: too large table and very deep pavilion resulting on strong light leakage and poor brilliance.The Cut Adviser ( www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp ) doesn't work with tables over 65%. When I entered 65% instead of 66% it gave Poor result.Extra facets can add more scintillation for very large diamonds but it is not the reason to sacrifice brilliance...$12.7k is a reasonable price for GIA graded 1.58-G-VVS2 well cut round diamond.Since this stone graded by IGI (which is not as strict as GIA) you better make sure that the diamond is indeed G and VVS2.

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
>>Since this stone graded by IGI (which is not as strict as GIA) you better make sure that the diamond is indeed G and VVS2.<<Even if it was a G VVS2 I would not buy it on account of the cut being such that I don't think it will give good light performance. It won't look good.Also, IMHO, I place ZERO credibility with any lab other than GIA or AGS. I understand EGL has improved, but that is my opinion. The Rodentman

don

Rough_Rock
I am also deciding on a 144 facet loose diamond. The Size is 1.19 and the Color is H. The Clarity is I1. The cost is $4900 could you please advise?

bingbongbug

Rough_Rock
Well, be aware that an I clarity diamond is pretty poor quality. You'll easily be able to see flaws in the diamond just by looking at it. You might also want to look into who certified the diamond. If it was not GIA or AGS, it could be someone who doesn't grade as strictly as they do, and could actually be an I3.

The color listed is fine, and the size is a good size. I-clarity is the kind of clarity you will find at K-Mart and Wal-Mart, not at fine jewelers.

Put some time into researching clarity, color, and cut grades of diamonds. Look at the tutorial on pricescope, or go to goodoldgold.com, which gives you just about all the information you could possibly want. When you know what all the designations mean, go out and look at your local jewelry stores (preferably privately-owned stores, which have greater selection than chain mall stores) to see what they LOOK like to you, and you can compare prices. When you know -just- what you are looking for, come online, and you can find the same quality for less cost.

Hope this helps.

elredman

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 10/12/2001 3:40:00 AM

I have a similar question on a fancy cut diamond. (144 facets I believe)It is an IGI certified, 1.58ct at GVVS2Proportions: Good
Table 66%
Crown: 11.5%
Pavillion: 44.5%
Finish: Good
Fluorescense: SlightQuote is at $12.7K
What do you think? Thank you in advance!
----------------

Hello,

I was hoping someone could give me advice on a diamond I am considering buying. It is a 1.27 G VS2 with 60.7% depth and 58% table. This is a round diamond that is graded from GIA Laboratory and has excellent grade on polish and symmetry. The price they are asking is $7600. Can anyone give me some advise?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results