shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom Setting - 4 or 6 prongs?

-Genuine-

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I am having a local jeweler make my setting for a 1.3 carat diamond.

I am just wondering if I should keep the setting as is with 4 prongs, or ask to make it 6 prongs.

Screenshot_20220810-231415~2.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220810-231432~2.png
    Screenshot_20220810-231432~2.png
    171.8 KB · Views: 2

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's the design difference to consider (6 prongs make for a "rounder" face up look as compared to 4 prongs), but also safety of the stone -- if 1 prong should fail on a 4 prong ring, the stone will likely drop out; if 1 prong fails on a 6-prong ring, the remaining 5 prongs usually are sufficient to hold the stone. Of course if a prong fails, you'd remove it as soon as you notice, and put the ring away until you can get it to the jeweler for repair ... but oftentimes people don't notice a problem with the setting until after the fact, at which time you may or may not be able to find the missing diamond if it had dropped out.

If you really can't decide, maybe your jeweler has some 4-prong and 6-prong MRB rings you can try on, so you can see which you like better on your finger?

Looks like it will be a beautiful ring -- I hope you post photos of the finished ring!

-Genuine-

Rough_Rock
Thanks,

I decided on 6 claws. My jeweler said the stone was big enough that 6 would look nice.

Our @marymm makes a good point about stone security with regard to 4 or 6 prongs. That aside, I just love the LOOK of 6 prongs on a round. So that is my vote, as well. Good luck, and welcome to the forum!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results