shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom Ring Setting Pricing

tomtaylor1234

Rough_Rock
I'm looking to get a custom engagement ring constructed and I know the diamond I want. I've never purchased any expensive jewelry before, so I'm finding it hard to see if I'm being ripped off.

I'm trying to get a custom ring in white gold, with a pave band and a hidden halo, similar to this https://ringconcierge.com/products/whisper-thin-with-hidden-halo.

I've been given two quotes, $2800 and $3000. Speaking with some family members they said that's a lot. What do you guys think, and what would be a reasonable price?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If $2800-$3000 is the price quote for just the setting, then, yes, that is ridiculously expensive.

If that price includes your diamond center stone, then likely more reasonable.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
It has been a while since my last custom ring piece, but I guess I would have expected that ring with 3/4 pave down the band to come in more like $2k.

That said, I'm not a jeweler, and I know material prices (especially gold) have gone up considerably this year.

I had custom platinum earrings made this year for my diamond studs and they were MUCH more expensive than I had anticipated, and was given two quotes (both within $50 of each other) by two reputable vendors (one of which was DK who seems to generally have reasonable prices).

5ish years ago I had custom 6 prong martini settings in platinum made that came in at $600, and my custom 3 prong platinum settings for my lab diamonds came in at $950! Definitely a little sticker shock for me.

Not sure if others who have had pieces made in the last few years versus this year might be able to comment on whether or not they think prices across the board have gone up?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'm in the process of having my first piece custom made, so I'm no expert.

I just wanted to add that getting the right jeweler to make it is also a prime consideration. It can turn into an ongoing nightmare otherwise, at any price, so you're wise to be concerned. A few jewelers are highly thought of on this forum, especially if you don't mind getting it done long distance. Or just be sure to check reviews and such on whoever you're considering. If they're either not very good or you don't find much on them at all, perhaps reconsider.

Also, I'd suggest having the jewelry enthusiasts here weigh in on the diamond you're considering before going any further with it. There's a ton of experience here that can help you get the best all around. Are you in the United States? Good luck!

Last edited:

tomtaylor1234

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback guys. The prices stated are just for the setting excluding the diamond. I certainly think they jacked up the price because they asked for my budget and the diamond I'm looking at is around $15K.

Would it still be reasonable to have this setting made for $2K in this economic climate? Of course, i'd like a good jewel to make this for me so I'll have to pay a premium, but I still think it needs to be reasonable.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry, it is too late for me to edit my prior post, but I just realized although the inspo ring you linked to is a plain shank with tiny diamonds around the basket, you actually are requesting a pave band ... which would of course increase the cost of the setting as pave is labor-intensive.

Is the pave going all around the shank or 3/4 or 1/2 or 1/4?

Does the setting quote include the quality of the diamond melee (color/clarity)?

$2,000-$2,500 seems reasonable; and depending on the actual project specs, perhaps even up to $3,000 (assuming 3/4 to full pave band).

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think $2k to $3k is reasonable. Depending on diamonds necessary for pave, maybe even more. Gold is very high right now. I did a quick search on James Allen for non-custom hidden halos and they ranged up to $5k.

Has your bench made this ring before? Pave takes some skill.

LIGemzGal

Shiny_Rock
I think 2-3K is reasonable if the side diamonds are included as part of the setting. I imagine they'd use standard G/H VS/SI diamonds for the pave unless you specify something different. And pave work is more labor intensive so there's that cost factor as well.. The mounting for my e-ring that I recently had remade in 14K white gold came in at just under $600. But keep in mind that mounting included NO stones, it was just the white gold ring by itself. I used an etsy vendor to make it. I purchased all of the stones myself because I had very specific requirements that I wanted my diamonds to have, and i just felt more comfortable doing that part of the project myself. So if your ring setting does include diamonds then I'd say the range you were given is in the right ballpark.

Last edited:

tomtaylor1234

Rough_Rock
So sorry, it is too late for me to edit my prior post, but I just realized although the inspo ring you linked to is a plain shank with tiny diamonds around the basket, you actually are requesting a pave band ... which would of course increase the cost of the setting as pave is labor-intensive.

Is the pave going all around the shank or 3/4 or 1/2 or 1/4?

Does the setting quote include the quality of the diamond melee (color/clarity)?

$2,000-$2,500 seems reasonable; and depending on the actual project specs, perhaps even up to $3,000 (assuming 3/4 to full pave band).

No need to apologize, and thanks for the added color. Looking at a 3/4 to full pave in this case.

tomtaylor1234

Rough_Rock
I think 2-3K is reasonable if the side diamonds are included as part of the setting. I imagine they'd use standard G/H VS/SI diamonds for the pave unless you specify something different. And pave work is more labor intensive so there's that cost factor as well.. The mounting for my e-ring that I recently had remade in 14K white gold came in at just under $600. But keep in mind that mounting included NO stones, it was just the white gold ring by itself. I used an etsy vendor to make it. I purchased all of the stones myself because I had very specific requirements that I wanted my diamonds to have, and i just felt more comfortable doing that part of the project myself. So if your ring setting does include diamonds then I'd say the range you were given is in the right ballpark.

Yeah, I'm thinking about getting the diamond from the same jewel that makes the custom band. Do you know if there is any negotiation with jewelers? One Jeweler said the price was final because they were pricing this based on the rapport report they receive.

LIGemzGal

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, I'm thinking about getting the diamond from the same jewel that makes the custom band. Do you know if there is any negotiation with jewelers? One Jeweler said the price was final because they were pricing this based on the rapport report they receive.

Id just say search around on various websites until you find the stone that speaks to you and is within your budget. You can get a better sense of pricing via the internet and then compare those prices with those of the jeweler that you propose to use to see if he's comparable or if he's way over priced for the same quality stone. This is certainly not an overnight process, especially if you have a specific diamond in mind. Take your time and do your research. The folks on this forum can give their advice/recommendations, which are extremely helpful beyond words, but ultimately it's your decision.

tomtaylor1234

Rough_Rock
et, you actually are reques
I found this diamond online, I believe the asking price is $15900 and compared to some other diamonds I've seen in oval, this is very cheap based on the color etc. Can anyone tell me what's why it's priced so aggressively cert.jpeg ?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ my guess is that the diamond is not eyeclean - based on the plot there are multiple crystals in the center of the stone ... have you seen a photo or video of this diamond?

tomtaylor1234

Rough_Rock
^ my guess is that the diamond is not eyeclean - based on the plot there are multiple crystals in the center of the stone ... have you seen a photo or video of this diamond?

Yeah, I see some slight imprecations on the top of diamond Didn't see it the first time I was looking
Not the best picture, but see attached. Capture.PNG

HollyC

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @tomtaylor1234 perhaps the price is indicative of the strong blue fluorescence of the diamond. It can be seen as a negative, especially in a high colour diamond. Hope this helps :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results