shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom Oval Cut Ruby E-ring - Ideas/Opinions/Advice

liiinduh

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Long story short: I was hoping to order a custom JA ring (https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-yellow-gold-cathedral-star-engagement-ring-item-59072). However, upon reading through the threads here and some posts by fellow PS-ers, I realize that the ruby I was looking at was not the best quality. I then found out that JA does not create custom pieces for stones not bought thru them. So, I ended up abandoning that idea and started looking for a ruby with other vendors. And I am now looking for a custom jeweler.

I was able to score this beauty from Ivy NY: 2017-02-28_09_42_44-ruby_no_heat_1.png
2017-02-28_09_42_56-ruby_no_heat_1.png

Here are what specs I'm looking for:

Metal: 14K gold
Budget: 1.5-2K

Ideas (Taken from DK's facebook photo gallery):
screen_shot_2017-02-28_at_9.png

screen_shot_2017-02-28_at_9_0.png

With this style of ring, would it be possible to be able to have the wedding band sit flush with the ring?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you NEED your wedding band to sit flush? If so there are definitely things you can do but in my opinion they changed the overall look to the ring, and usually not for the better. And I commented in your other post but I'll also here. Does it have to have pave in the band? Can you save that for a wedding ring or no?

liiinduh

Rough_Rock
Niel|1488339058|4135056 said:
Do you NEED your wedding band to sit flush? If so there are definitely things you can do but in my opinion they changed the overall look to the ring, and usually not for the better. And I commented in your other post but I'll also here. Does it have to have pave in the band? Can you save that for a wedding ring or no?

Thanks, Niel! Of course, I could save all of these intricate details for the band and not the e-ring. I know you mentioned on the other post that you like the Lady Di style rings and I agree with you. I lean more towards the "vintage-inspired" style. With that, I was even considering going without a band and wearing the ring alone. :think:

I know that the examples I included have rounded edges, but I like the look of sharper edges better. Like this:
screen_shot_2017-02-28_at_9_2.png

I have also taken a look at Heidi Gibson's designs and something like this would also be nice:

screen_shot_2017-02-28_at_9_1.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol you would have loved my old sapphire ring. Very Heidi Gibson. Problem is those settings are very cheap on eBay and written of as "80s" but you get one made new and they can be very costly. I'm not sure it could be done in your budget. There was one he did I think you might like let me see if I can find it.

liiinduh

Rough_Rock
Niel|1488340077|4135068 said:
Lol you would have loved my old sapphire ring. Very Heidi Gibson. Problem is those settings are very cheap on eBay and written of as "80s" but you get one made new and they can be very costly. I'm not sure it could be done in your budget. There was one he did I think you might like let me see if I can find it.

If you have a picture of the sapphire ring, I would love to see it!
To be honest, I would be willing to pay more $$ for the setting for something as intricate and beautiful as the ones I posted. As you may have guessed by now, I'm new to this. So, my question is: how much do you estimate these designs would cost? Could it be done with 3K?

liiinduh

Rough_Rock
Niel|1488504237|4135782 said:
Ask and you shall receive lol.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-went-on-craigslist-and-this-happened.224445/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-went-on-craigslist-and-this-happened.224445/[/URL]

A plain shank princess di style halo by dk shouldn't be more than 3k , but I'd it were me, I'd get as large a melee (diamonds in the halo) as I could in my budget

Ahh - I love it! Definitely very Heidi Gibson :naughty:

Thanks! I'll reach out to DK and see what kind of feedback I get from him. I may also ask him about this style: :think:
20170304_144258.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What would you think of this? He made this ring for my mother and I think it could easily be adapted to diamond sides and your ruby center. It was actually originally designed based of a ruby diamond ring. (I'd get smaller diamonds than either of these examples ) . It was fairly priced I think it would be in your budget even if you included diamonds in the price. In essence slightly like the aquamarine ring but smaller halo..

Imma just trying to think of things I know he's made that would be in budget. ....Halos can get expensive fast.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/old-cut-diamond-and-emerald-mothers-ring.226294/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/old-cut-diamond-and-emerald-mothers-ring.226294/[/URL]

img_20160714_104227_0.jpg

79ea9e3015e7c6ba8e4f88230587fdd2.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this could be cool in gold and modified for your stone! Also made by dk

42ec4cbebfa36f6ec420bc60568c5727.jpg

liiinduh

Rough_Rock
Niel,

You are definitely reading my mind right now. These are right up my alley - thank you! Now the problem is that I don't know which one I like more. :think: :lol:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
liiinduh|1488838404|4137258 said:
Niel,

You are definitely reading my mind right now. These are right up my alley - thank you! Now the problem is that I don't know which one I like more. :think: :lol:

If it helps try to think which kind of wedding band you're after and which style does best with it.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow that is exciting. Niel I have always loved the emerald and daimond ring you commissioned.

I think it would be a great idea to wrap the sides of the stone in some tin foil and check you like the colour. As these settings look quite enclosed and they'll make the stone look a bit darker.

liiinduh

Rough_Rock
The tin foil idea is great, thank you! I'll do that and take some pictures. I actually got the ruby in the mail today!
Here are a quick pic and video that I snapped, don't mind my chunky fingers :lol: Speaking of, makes me lean more towards a bigger halo to give me more finger coverage.

https://vimeo.com/207372698

20170307_162130.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful! Besides that foil trick , you also could just do prongs. This would be my recommendation as that Ruby is lovely and I'd hate to do anything to change the color.

liiinduh

Rough_Rock
Niel|1488931858|4137856 said:
It's beautiful! Besides that foil trick , you also could just do prongs. This would be my recommendation as that Ruby is lovely and I'd hate to do anything to change the color.

Do you mean prongs as in a solitaire setting? Or what we discussed earlier, like this: screen_shot_2017-02-28_at_9_2.png

The stone is fairly bottom heavy and is 3.78mm tall, which I'm thinking will result in a center stone that will be raised and a halo that would sit lower?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I mean prongs as in prongs instead of a bezel. Not a solitaire. I like the idea of a halo. I like a simple princess Diana one like that. I saw an amazing one on insta yesterday where they used pears instead of rounds to do a halo like that. It was lovely, but even a magician like dk probaby couldn't make that in budget. (I think each pear would be like 125-150 bucks each) you'd need what, 10? The the cost of the halo itself probably around 1250-1500

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An example on something closer to your size. This one just does 4 pears and the rounds.

b39276722ff3ef8654455ca6f2acadcb.jpg

liiinduh

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much, Niel! You have been incredibly helpful. Happy to report that I have sent David and email to get an idea of what could be done and what the cost would be. I'll report back once I hear from him :)

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the round and pear design Neil just posted! You will get the sparkle from the rounds and the spread of the pears. :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results