shape
carat
color
clarity

Custom mother's ring

agingsparkle

Shiny_Rock
I've browsed this forum off and on for quite awhile and finally have a starting-from-scratch project to share. I've wanted to do a ring featuring birthstones for my 2 kids, but as they're basically adults now I didn't want anything that was too kitschy or obviously a mother's ring. I also didn't want the traditional birthstones for either of them. It took me nearly a year of browsing around and considering options before I fell in love with a heart-shaped demantoid garnet from Madagascar from Kosnar gems on etsy. I hadn't really considered hearts before seeing this stone, but once I did I liked the symbolism. And demantoid was the perfect fit for my outdoor-loving green-eyed January child. Then I asked Brett if he'd consider cutting another stone to go with the demantoid, which he agreed to do. He found some beautiful golden-apricot imperial topaz from Brazil for my golden-eyed November film student.

img_2032.jpg

Took me awhile to choose a design inspiration, but settled on a bypass ring (nothing intertwined, since it's the birthstones for my kids, not for a couple!) sort of like this.

ef2e57c2e66e9218b7aafc8a7eb68df2.jpg

Some changes -- we're doing it in 2 colors of gold, literally changing at the halfway point of the band. I would never have thought of doing that, I'd been dithering about whether to try and have the prongs/basket of both stones in a different color, but then what color would suit both, etc etc... and the jeweler immediately suggested the split. The more I thought about it, the more I liked it! The topaz will be set in rose gold and the garnet in white. Keeping the millegrain and adding hand engraving around the basket and band. I love antique jewelry, and want something that will fit in.

The wax should be ready for approval in 1-2 weeks, can't wait!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The demantoid will like rose gold too, if you prefer to keep the colours more cohesive. Looks like it's going to be a beautiful piece. Just make sure the bench has extremely soft hands because demantoid needs a lot of gentle handling.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wonderful! Can't wait to see it, and agree that rose gold will look lovely with the demantoid :)

agingsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Yes on the gentle setting! It's always nerve-wracking to have the stones out of hand but this bench does handle a lot of colored stones. Awhile back they did a gorgeous suite of sphenes which you rarely see in shops and last year they set an unheated tanzanite for me.

I'll have to think about doing all rose gold. I'm a little worried it will look too pink if it's entirely rose gold -- the proportions will be a little different than the inspiration ring; my hearts are larger than the ones in the photo, so we're going with smaller diamonds (1.3mm) to keep it at a size that will fit my size 5.5 finger. I'll be able to see that better in the wax casting, so it'll be great to have that chance to figure it out. Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I meant that the baskets for both stones to be in rose gold but the rest of the ring in a white metal. This should keep the look more classic. Either way, I'm looking forward to this. It's going to be gorgeous!

agingsparkle

Shiny_Rock
It's finished!! I kept meaning to post in-between pics and then forgot... so I guess I'll post all at once. Can't find the pic I took of the wax, but here is the casting (half rose, half white gold) before the setting. From this stage, they set the diamonds, then did the engraving, then set the colored stones.
img_2081.jpg

Some finished pics -- this one seems to be closest to it's "usual" look. Both stones are really refractive.
img_2343.jpg

Indirect light (in the car immediately after picking it up -- so impatient!)
img_2301.jpg

Indoors (love the colors from the demantoid!)
img_2331_0.jpg

Engraving on the sides
img_2321.jpg
img_2320.jpg

It's a little larger than I'd envisioned; it was really hard to visualize that part, because my inspiration was the photo of the colored diamond ring, and it was hard to tell what size those stones were. These are 1 ct each, about 6mm at the widest point. I think the jeweler did a great job keeping it "delicate" like I wanted even with larger stones. And I'm totally fascinated by the high polish transition on the underside where it switches from rose to white gold (and will allow for a little resizing if ever needed, the diamonds go nearly around the band) because in person you genuinely can't see where it switches, but on the front you definitely notice that the 2 halves are different colors.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing the amazing result :appl:
What a stunning ring. Looking forward to see more pics :love:

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
This is such an incredible ring!! I absolutely love it!! :love:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the design even if it weren't a mother's ring...that it is, makes it even more special.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool ring! Nice reminder of the two "gems" you gave birth to!

I made some mother's rings (stackers with SS and semi precious stones) and I didnt use my kids birth month colors either. Figures
that one son would be pink (Oct baby) and my daughter would be blue (March baby). The other son is July so it would be red.
I ended up using silvery blue for one son, magenta pink for my daughter and brown for the other son. My rings are casual, for
fun rings.

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a lovely idea :) The ring is stunning.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results